K390: Brittle? Hard to sharpen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

K390: Brittle? Hard to sharpen?

Post by JuPaul »

Going through older threads on k390, and reading some about it in Larrin's work, it seems like k390 (and 10V) is often compared to a non-stainless s110v. So excellent edge retention, lower toughness. For those of you that have used it, do you find it chips easily (say, if you accidentally hit a rock or metal while cutting)? Also, the comparison to s110v makes me think it might be a real chore to sharpen. Thoughts on that from those of you that aren't expert sharpeners (just average sharpeners like me)?

People seem to love this steel, but if that love is mostly because of very high edge retention - at the cost of any decent toughness or sharpenability - then this may not be the steel for me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
p_atrick

Re: K390: Brittle? Hard to sharpen?

Post by p_atrick »

I've never used nor sharpened K390, but this video by Deadbox Hero (Big Brown Bear on YT) shows all you really need to know about toughness:
https://youtu.be/E-c3LxQbcqg
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

My pma11 mule sharpens as easily as s35vn or 20cv to me. No difficulty whatsoever, and much easier than s110v.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Difficult? No.
Longer to sharpen? Yes.

I had some burr problems on my Police 4 and I was really doupting myself if I am worthy enough to sharpen K390. But problem was on my side and I was not hitting the apex properly. After that, it is quite easy to touch up and it really has an aggressive edge.
Can't really comment on toughness.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:36 pm
I've never used nor sharpened K390, but this video by Deadbox Hero (Big Brown Bear on YT) shows all you really need to know about toughness
The same video immediately came to mind when I opened this thread, lol
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

K390 was pretty easy to sharpen on the Urban but that blade is really thin. Never had an issue though for almost a year carrying at 15dps cutting through thick plastic at work
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I know the mule performed really well for the me. Sharpened up easily with diamond stones. Got my P4 yesterday and after seeing that video I have no doubt it'll perform like the mule or better. I think i had cut a 4" or 6" x 20' polyester lifting strap into about 1" - 1-1/2" and it was still cutting paper. Wouldn't clean shave but with a light touch up it was shaving sharp again.
Excuse the old terrible quality pictures. These or a few years old

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wow, that video pretty much sold me. I don't "abuse" my folders, but I have been known to chip an edge accidentally hitting a rock or dropping a knife (I chipped my m390 para 3 just a tiny bit that way a few weeks ago). So the edge strength he talks about is what I'm after. Sounds like sharpening could be a long process, but on my KME should be doable with maybe a little learning curve.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I find it ery easy to sharpen for how wear resistant it is. No issues with it being brittle. I dropped the edge angle on mine and there has been no edge damage.

It's one of my top choices for a non-stainless. Very nice steel, I see why Sal likes it.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Super strong, stable (doesn't want to chip or roll), and very easy to sharpen considering it's 9% vanadium and 65 HRC.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

K390/10V/Vanadis 8 hav similar toughness to S35VN. So I wouldn’t call it brittle. Probably tough enough for most pocket knives.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Neither brittle nor hard to sharpen. However, I haven’t let my Police4 or Urban become less than working-sharp. And I haven’t encountered a staple or a rock in my use.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:39 pm
Wow, that video pretty much sold me. I don't "abuse" my folders, but I have been known to chip an edge accidentally hitting a rock or dropping a knife (I chipped my m390 para 3 just a tiny bit that way a few weeks ago). So the edge strength he talks about is what I'm after. Sounds like sharpening could be a long process, but on my KME should be doable with maybe a little learning curve.
I sharpen my K390 Urban on my KME and it works great. It takes a little longer than a less wear resistant steel but if you're patient it takes an excellent edge.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Jupaul, I’ve used the K390 releases a fair bit.

I took the Edgematters Pingo (along with a GEC Crownlifter) to Ireland as my travel knife. I lost that knife when I got to Malaysia and my suitcase arrived busted open, with the Pingo missing. The airline paid for a replacement, and as I had no more need of a two-hand opener, I got the K390 Urban instead.

I used the K390 Urban as a work knife in a warehouse type environment for about a year. It never chipped when hitting the occasional staple or steel rack. When I lost it one day at work, I replaced it (at BBS prices ;) :eek: ).

I use the Police 4 a fair bit as a folding utility kitchen knife.

So having said all that I think it has excellent relative toughness and sharpenability for a high wear resistance steel.

I’ve never had chipping or microfracture issues with it. I’d still describe it as a pleasure to sharpen, and it rewards you with a superb fine edge. It also seems to be one of those steels which does very well with both coarse and refined edges.

It does take a patina very readily, and therefore mandates a bit of preventative care.

It’s probably my outright favourite bladesteel so far.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:39 pm
...... Sounds like sharpening could be a long process, but on my KME should be doable with maybe a little learning curve.
Diamonds. And a lot of patients. Good news is once you get it sharp it tends to stay that way a while.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal