Spydiechef proper use - paella 'mare e monti' recipe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PiterM

Spydiechef proper use - paella 'mare e monti' recipe

Post by PiterM »

So here's a proper use of Spydiechef... and you can use yours too! Just roughly follow some simple instructions:

1. Clean & cut quality mushrooms, porcini preferred. Fry on a big pan with garlic and fresh lemon juice.

2. Chop parsley. Clean some shrimp, fry as well.

3. Cut cocktail tomatoes in half.

4. Put everything together in a big paella pan, add beans, salt, pepper, curcuma.

5. Pour homemade broth and some white wine, add paella rice and simmer for another 10 min or so until ready. Add more broth (or water) if needed.

6. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy with a glass of fine white wine like albariño :)

Cheers!
P
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spydiechef proper use - paella 'mare e monti' recipe

Post by Doc Dan »

Ok, you can stop torturing me. haHahaha!

Looks good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Okay, I can do all the cutting tasks but my wife will have to do the rest. If I tried to make that, it would not be edible. Looks delicious!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I hope this thread continues with more proper use of the Spydiechef. This is torture on an empty stomach. Thanks for the post!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

PiterM wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:36 am
So here's a proper use of Spydiechef... and you can use yours too! Just roughly follow some simple instructions:

1. Clean & cut quality mushrooms, porcini preferred. Fry on a big pan with garlic and fresh lemon juice.

2. Chop parsley. Clean some shrimp, fry as well.

3. Cut cocktail tomatoes in half.

4. Put everything together in a big paella pan, add beans, salt, pepper, curcuma.

5. Pour homemade broth and some white wine, add paella rice and simmer for another 10 min or so until ready. Add more broth (or water) if needed.

6. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy with a glass of fine white wine like albariño :)

Cheers!
P
Looks delicious! Sadly we don't have wild porcini mushrooms in Missouri, but it's almost time for Hen of the Woods and Hedgehog mushrooms...think those would work instead? Might not use a spydiechef, but my Bow River should be very much up to the task!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:23 am
Looks delicious! Sadly we don't have wild porcini mushrooms in Missouri, but it's almost time for Hen of the Woods and Hedgehog mushrooms...think those would work instead? Might not use a spydiechef, but my Bow River should be very much up to the task!
Thanks! And both yes, of course :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

More, please.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Ohhh, that looks delicious. What sort of homemade stock do you use? I’m guessing some celery, onion, carrot and garlic? But seafood base or chicken, besides that?

We need to have a Spydies in the Kitchen and Recipes thread!

I don’t have a Spydiechef, but I like using the Police 4 in the kitchen.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

You make the stock utilizing the shrimp shells?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yum, I can smell it, and the Spydie Chef makes it that much better
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
araneae

Post by araneae »

Clearly a lot of people like this model, but I continue to be confused as to why people use a folder in the kitchen when you could easily buy a nice Chef's knife (that would be more capable in the kitchen) and a Delica for the same price...

I use a folder for kitchen duty only out of necessity.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

araneae wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:02 pm
Clearly a lot of people like this model, but I continue to be confused as to why people use a folder in the kitchen when you could easily buy a nice Chef's knife (that would be more capable in the kitchen) and a Delica for the same price...

I agree. For $200+ or whatever this knife costs, you could get a pretty decent SET of kitchen knives with a thinner grind and longer blade/cutting edge.

Regardless, the meal looks fantastic!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

araneae wrote:

Speaking for myself, I've got plenty of nice chef knives. I don't need to use folders at all, I just like to give them a run in the kitchen in order to get a better understanding of the design and ergonomics. I tend to be fairly slow in my knife rotation, in that I'll use one or two knives for most of my EDC tasks for 3-6 months. I try to use them as much as possible and in different scenarios, and give them multiple sharpenings, before drawing my conclusions about a particular model and steel. I find doing a bit of fruit and vegetable peeling and fine slicing, and breaking down meat and fish, diversifies the types of uses I can put a pocket knife to.

Of course I have knives I use often for niche purposes, like the Salts and the Delica Wharncliffe. And if I have to do 'serious' cooking or get something prepped in a hurry, the handmade Japanese chef knives come out. :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

araneae wrote:

You've never found yourself at a friends house, a bbq, picnic, at work, or elsewhere where there was food but not a decent knife for miles (other than your own)? Happens to me all the time. That's why I always carry an H1 Dragonfly. Now I have a bigger and better option with the Spydiechef.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ferider

Post by ferider »

Looks _very_ tasty. Now, what wine did you choose for the meal ?
araneae

Post by araneae »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:23 pm
araneae wrote:

You've never found yourself at a friends house, a bbq, picnic, at work, or elsewhere where there was food but not a decent knife for miles (other than your own)? Happens to me all the time. That's why I always carry an H1 Dragonfly. Now I have a bigger and better option with the Spydiechef.
I certainly have used a folder for food- as I said, out of necessity, but I wouldn't use one when a decent kitchen knife is nearby as I assume one was in the OP. Almost any of my Spyderco pocket folders would work if needed, but I have no interest in a kitchen specific folder as a real kitchen knife will always outperform it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

I tell you why... it’s just fun :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I can give an example of how a Spydiechef can be better than a traditional chef knife. Dirty hands and dirty handles. I don't kniw about your nice kitchen knives, but mine have handles that aren't really supposed to get wet or washed. You wash the blade and try to keep the handle dry so water doesn't warp the wood or get trapped underneath the handle causing corrosion. No worries about that at all with the Spydiechef.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal