Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
argyle1812
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Straight Spine Stretch

Postby argyle1812 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:38 pm

I just went in on the pre order for the Straight Spine Stretch. I am just curious what is the advantages/disadvantages of its blade shape vs the normal Stretch?

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Enactive » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:44 pm

Yeah, I'm curious about it too. I love the Stretch 2 handle and blade shape. When I first read Sal's mention of these, I didn't think i wanted one. When I first saw the product photos I was more intrigued than I expected. I may pick one up.

User avatar
JuPaul
Member
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby JuPaul » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:48 pm

Much more pointed tip for piercing, for one. And just my personal opinion, but I think it looks much better. I also think giving it a more PM2-style blade might broaden the appeal of the stretch model. I'm curious if this is a test run for a possible Stretch 3.
Be excellent to each other. - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Albatross
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Albatross » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:00 pm

The Stretch 2 is ok for most uses, but it was designed to be a folding hunter, if I'm not mistaken. The straight spine offers a more utilitarian blade shape, that isn't necessarily as task specific as the standard version. To be clear, for the Stretch fans, I'm not saying it's a bad knife or that it can't be used for the mundane, daily cutting tasks.

Having said that, the Stretch 2 is growing on me, after initially disliking the model. The straight spine is going to make the knife a real pleasure to use.
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

...But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark"...

sal

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Mushroom » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm curious if this is a test run for a possible Stretch 3.
I dont think it is and heres why - A couple years ago Sal started a thread talking about honoring the loyal and long time contributors of this forum. His idea was to get input from these loyal members to create an ideal new model to their desired specs. The first member that Sal chose to honor was Paul, The Deacon! More information about this can be found in Sal's thread - "To Honor"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72546

I have a feeling that this Straight Spine Stretch is the result of Pauls input to Sal!

My question to Sal is - Is this the official "Deacon Stretch" ? :D
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 2865
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby wrdwrght » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm
My question to Sal is - Is this the official "Deacon Stretch" ? :D
Or, being neutral-handed, the “Deacon PM2”? :p
Marc <— a mere data-point

INBOUND: 83mm “Mini” Manix. ON RADAR: Maxamet PM2; Lil’ Native slipjoint; Siren. IN DREAMS: V4E Military2 stop-lock; 4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; C27 serrated Jess Horn; Vanax Massad Ayoob (SE) sprint; LC200N Breeden Captain (recurve SE) sprint.

User avatar
JuPaul
Member
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby JuPaul » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:03 pm

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm curious if this is a test run for a possible Stretch 3.
I dont think it is and heres why - A couple years ago Sal started a thread talking about honoring the loyal and long time contributors of this forum. His idea was to get input from these loyal members to create an ideal new model to their desired specs. The first member that Sal chose to honor was Paul, The Deacon! More information about this can be found in Sal's thread - "To Honor"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72546

I have a feeling that this Straight Spine Stretch is the result of Pauls input to Sal!

My question to Sal is - Is this the official "Deacon Stretch" ? :D
Oh how cool is that?! Definitely interested to see if Sal chimes in on this.
Be excellent to each other. - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12335
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby sal » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:43 pm

It's a test piece,

sal

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Mushroom » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:43 pm

Ah, alright, thanks Sal!

Thought I might've been on to something there! :o LOL
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 am

Albatross wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:00 pm
The Stretch 2 is ok for most uses, but it was designed to be a folding hunter, if I'm not mistaken. The straight spine offers a more utilitarian blade shape, that isn't necessarily as task specific as the standard version. To be clear, for the Stretch fans, I'm not saying it's a bad knife or that it can't be used for the mundane, daily cutting tasks.

Having said that, the Stretch 2 is growing on me, after initially disliking the model. The straight spine is going to make the knife a real pleasure to use.
I think you´re right in that as far as I know the "origin" of the Stretch actually was a Spydie called "Hunter" and the Stretch 1 and 2 most likely still are great hunting folders (from what I hear, I am no hunter myself).

But as far as I understand, Sal actually developed an (EDC?-) folder to meet his personal preferences (just) based on that original "Hunter"-model (which does NOT mean that the current Stretch 2 is not a great hunting folder STILL probably).

I have to say:
The straight spine Stretch (2) really looks great and I am very tempted to get one (and that despite I prefer the shorter closed size, longer edge and ergos of the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2)
Still, for me personally the "regular" Stretch blade shape is even MORE "utilitarian" than the straight spine version. In my personal "utilitarion" use, I prefer the a bit stronger tip (still acute enough, for being just very thin concerning blade stock at the tip). Plus, the "funky" shape of the "regular" Stretch blade with its "inward curve" gives the the thumb or index finger a unique and perfect spot to put on and push back against the spine in certain (by me) often used grip. I got very accustomed to that and like it a lot.

That being said: I really hope the straight spine Stretch will bring much more people to try and most likely appreciate this model. It has the same great ergos as the "regular" Stretch, and I am sure the rather unique very long totally straight section of edge that just towards the tip starts to curve and give you a good amount of belly there (I think most other Spydies (other than Wharnies), for example also the very similar sized PM2, have a more or less slight continous curve in the edge and very little to no totally straight edge).
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:03 am

Beeing ("just") a Sprint, I guess it won´t come in SE, but if it DID, I could not say "no"... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
ferider
Member
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby ferider » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:08 am

I immediately thought: oh, a backlock PM2. Which is not a bad thing ...

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:18 am

ferider wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:08 am
I immediately thought: oh, a backlock PM2. Which is not a bad thing ...
A backlock, FRN PM2... which is an even better thing... :D
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 7812
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Doc Dan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:29 am

I’m finally interested in a Stretch. If I have the funds when it comes out I’ll get one of these.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:33 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:29 am
I’m finally interested in a Stretch. If I have the funds when it comes out I’ll get one of these.
Doc, for YOUR big hands the Stretch 2 handle of this model should be great (the Stretch 1 handle would most likely be not).
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 7812
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Doc Dan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:34 am

Good to know, thanks. The S1 did not fit me well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Tims » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:38 am

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:43 pm
It's a test piece,

sal
I can see the more conventional blade shape of this run being a hit.

After years of overlooking the Stretch it’s become my daily carry. I’m really looking forward to this run. The ivory frn is a nice touch too.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:40 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:34 am
Good to know, thanks. The S1 did not fit me well.
I remember you saying, that while you lik the Manix 2 handle, you do not so much the Manix XL handle due to the "hook" at its handle rear end

It´s kind of the same with Stretch 2 vs Stretch 1 - hook way less prononunced on the Stretch 2.
Furthermore, as far as I remember (don´t have a "2" anymore, but three "1"s) the handle of the "2" is a bit longer generally anyway.

Plus, I seem to recall Sal himself stated that one point in creating the Stretch 2 was so that it would fit bigger hands better.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:41 am

Tims wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:38 am
sal wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:43 pm
It's a test piece,

sal

I can see the more conventional blade shape of this run being a hit
.

After years of overlooking the Stretch it’s become my daily carry. I’m really looking forward to this run. The ivory frn is a nice touch too.
I really hope so. The Stretch deserves it!
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Albatross
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Albatross » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:49 am

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 am
Albatross wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:00 pm
The Stretch 2 is ok for most uses, but it was designed to be a folding hunter, if I'm not mistaken. The straight spine offers a more utilitarian blade shape, that isn't necessarily as task specific as the standard version. To be clear, for the Stretch fans, I'm not saying it's a bad knife or that it can't be used for the mundane, daily cutting tasks.

Having said that, the Stretch 2 is growing on me, after initially disliking the model. The straight spine is going to make the knife a real pleasure to use.
I think you´re right in that as far as I know the "origin" of the Stretch actually was a Spydie called "Hunter" and the Stretch 1 and 2 most likely still are great hunting folders (from what I hear, I am no hunter myself).

But as far as I understand, Sal actually developed an (EDC?-) folder to meet his personal preferences (just) based on that original "Hunter"-model (which does NOT mean that the current Stretch 2 is not a great hunting folder STILL probably).

I have to say:
The straight spine Stretch (2) really looks great and I am very tempted to get one (and that despite I prefer the shorter closed size, longer edge and ergos of the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2)
Still, for me personally the "regular" Stretch blade shape is even MORE "utilitarian" than the straight spine version. In my personal "utilitarion" use, I prefer the a bit stronger tip (still acute enough, for being just very thin concerning blade stock at the tip). Plus, the "funky" shape of the "regular" Stretch blade with its "inward curve" gives the the thumb or index finger a unique and perfect spot to put on and push back against the spine in certain (by me) often used grip. I got very accustomed to that and like it a lot.

That being said: I really hope the straight spine Stretch will bring much more people to try and most likely appreciate this model. It has the same great ergos as the "regular" Stretch, and I am sure the rather unique very long totally straight section of edge that just towards the tip starts to curve and give you a good amount of belly there (I think most other Spydies (other than Wharnies), for example also the very similar sized PM2, have a more or less slight continous curve in the edge and very little to no totally straight edge).
Thank you for the info. I read the description for the Stretch just now, and probably should have done that to begin with. :rolleyes:

The more stout tip can be useful, but for me, the Stretch 2 is too small to benefit from the added strength. My larger knives tend to get used harder, and would offer me more use, with a stout tip, than the Stretch 2 does. As you said, personal preference.
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

...But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark"...

sal


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DaveD, Gamecock, JMM, Majestic-12 [Bot], marty_bill_, MSN [Bot], Tgmr05, Wartstein and 40 guests