Province - First Impressions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Province - First Impressions.

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:54 pm
Many Thanks everyone! :cool:

Hey, bigboned, sorry you can’t see the pics mate.

Gernot, I’ve only played with the knife in the backyard but the first thing that struck me when I chopped hardwood sticks was how well the thin edge coupled with the knife’s weight bit into and cut the wood.

I can’t find my Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet at the moment though on first impression the knife seems to cleave hardwood sticks cleaner and no doubt bites deeper than the hatchet with the same amount of force ... got to find my hatchet. :confused:
sal wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:54 pm
Thanx Bloke.

sal
This is proving to be a great knife Mr Glesser. I like everything about it so far and for me it represents value for money. The big slab of sharp 4V in a fixed blade allows me to actually play with the knife, maybe even push it a little and better enjoy the potential on offer.

I have no idea of market demand for large fixed blades but personally, the Province at $260 ($AU438, I payed including shipping, tax and other BS) represents way better value than, say my incoming Advocate (which I bought heavily discounted) if for no other reason than it’s a bit hard to compare a little bit of blade steel in any folder to a slab of blade steel in a fixed blade. :D Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :) :cool:
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 pm
Hey Bloke I have always wanted a Bowie knife and this one is really getting my attention.
Hey Does, it’s a hefty knife mate with a thin grind that should perform well enough in any general cutting, I’d imagine, though the only real cutting I’ve done to date has been a little cardboard and a little hardwood end grain ... no worries there. ;)

We buy chicken necks for our cat which I muscle through with a pretty ordinary pair of poultry shears. I’d be willingly to chop through some chicken necks, maybe even wings for you, but hopefully Jim may chime in because I don’t want to wreck my new knife and forever hold you responsible. :eek: Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :) :rolleyes:
To feed some fine kitties I will proudly take the responsibility. Easy bet really :)

Thanks Bloke.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:54 pm
Many Thanks everyone! :cool:
Alex and others:

The Province is the first fixed blade in a long time that I am really considering to get (Actually I already HAVE all the fixed blade models I´ll ever need, but well... :rolleyes: )

Now asking as (in the context of this forum) non-steel-nerd: Could you give me some brief key words on the 4V steel? Is it much better in a knife like the Province than the steels other, cheaper fixed blades come in (My own a bit larger ones are in 1095 and D2)? What are generally it´s properties, pros and cons?

I did not want to open a dedicated 4V thread, for this is just a brief question and specifically related to knives in the size, weight, role, class... of the Province.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:42 am
Alex and others:

The Province is the first fixed blade in a long time that I am really considering to get (Actually I already HAVE all the fixed blade models I´ll ever need, but well... :rolleyes: )

Now asking as (in the context of this forum) non-steel-nerd: Could you give me some brief key words on the 4V steel? Is it much better in a knife like the Province than the steels other, cheaper fixed blades come in (My own a bit larger ones are in 1095 and D2)? What are generally it´s properties, pros and cons?

I did not want to open a dedicated 4V thread, for this is just a brief question and specifically related to knives in the size, weight, role, class... of the Province.
Hey Gernot, I’m far from knowledgeable on the subject of metallurgy and can only give you my layman’s view. :p

4V is new to me. I’d not played with it before buying the Province so someone like Ankerson or any of the steel boffins here would best answer your questions.

4V seems to offer a pretty good balance of toughness and wear resistance over the steels you mention and what little I’ve done with the knife is certainly proving this to be true. Particularly so in view of the blades thin grind as I find our local hardwood is quite taxing on any edge and quickly highlights any blade’s deficiencies, particularly in relatively uncontrolled and random chopping. So, from what I’ve experienced so far I very much doubt 1095 or D2 could compete with 4V one on one and come away unscathed. My experience with 1095 is it tends to end up with flat spots in the blade when chopping into hardwood which likely has more to do with heat treat. D2 I couldn’t rightly say as I don’t have any large D2 blades I’ve truly chopped with.

As for what steel works best in what knife, God knows! I do know I have an Advocate on it’s way with my first taste of M4 but in essence I’ll never truly experience what M4 (or any other though steel has to offer) with a little slither of steel in a folder. So personally I feel some steels are mostly wasted in pocket knives.

Anyhow, that’s just my $AU0.02c worth and I found this comparison chat that may give you some idea were 4V sits. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:09 pm
Anyhow, that’s just my $AU0.02c worth and I found this comparison chat that may give you some idea were 4V sits. :)

This chart seems generally reasonable except D2, which sticks out like a sore thumb as completely wrong.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Good info, Bloke. I’d say if you are impressed it has to be a **** of a knife.

I do not need another fixed blade knife
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 pm
To feed some fine kitties I will proudly take the responsibility. Easy bet really :)

Thanks Bloke.
OK Does, here you go mate! :)

Three chicken necks.

The edge is still unaffected after chopping through the necks effortlessly. No chips, flat spots, rolls ... still slicing newsprint as before.

Here’s a chicken wing. :rolleyes:

Again the knife chopped through effortlessly.

However, this time round we suffered a little damage. :eek:

Nothing major, but a little chipping and rolling. Overall I think it’s fairly minimal plus it’s a factory edge and bones aren’t made of chocolate. Ah, hahaha!

Does you bastard, you’ll owe me however long it takes me to fix this. :p Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

Hard to express how much I like this knife and only wish I had it forty years ago. ;)
Last edited by Bloke on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:32 pm
Bloke wrote:

This chart seems generally reasonable except D2, which sticks out like a sore thumb as completely wrong.
Yes, I’m sure Bod Dozier would have had something to say on this. :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:27 pm
Ah, hahaha! Maybe just one more? :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:32 pm
Bloke wrote:

Yep, though I don´t know a lot about steels: The graph for D2 just can´t be right. I am pretty sure they inadvertendly just repeated the graph for A2, for on this chart O2 and D2 would have the exact same properties. Can´t be.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:42 am
Alex and others:
Hey Gernot, I’m far from knowledgeable on the subject of metallurgy and can only give you my layman’s view. :p

Thanks for your "laymans view", Alex!! Helped a lot, for compared to you, the real "layman" is sitting on my end... ;)
Man, I want this knife... it´s a feeling I otherwise only know concerning Spyderco folders, for I am onrmally a lot more rational when it comes to fixed blades compared to folders. I definitely HAVE all the fixed blades I´ll ever need already, and I thought I´d stick with those and no more for ever... but now..?! :o
Maybe I´ll sell my Boker Vox Rold (D2 steel)... and get a Province instead...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:13 am
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks Bloke.
OK Does, here you go mate! :)

Three chicken necks.

The edge is still unaffected after chopping through the necks effortlessly. No chips, flat spots, rolls ... still slicing newsprint as before.

Here’s a chicken wing. :rolleyes:

Again the knife chopped through effortlessly.

However, this time round we suffered a little damage. :eek:

Nothing major, but a little chipping and rolling. Overall I think it’s fairly minimal plus it’s a factory edge and bones aren’t made of chocolate. Ah, hahaha!

Does you bastard, you’ll owe me however long it takes me to fix this. :p Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

Hard to express how much I like this knife and only wish I had it forty years ago. ;)
Aye Bloke bastard I am at that! Those tiny weee imperfections.... micro serrations ;)

Very important metric though thanks to your willingness we see real world evaluation of the steel with a factory edge.

The next one will be how long it took with what amount of effort to bring the edge pristine again. What tools you used etc.

Still saving up for some Atoma plates to finish that S90V military for you, unfortunatly the stove died and that took the stone money.... arrrgghhhhh necessities getting in the way once again.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Does, mate, I may be laughing on the outside ... on the inside I’m bawling my eyes out. :rolleyes:

I knew for certain the edge would suffer chopping through the main bone in the wing so it’s not what I’d do with a hatchet let alone a thin edged blade. 4V is proving to be a bit of a Super Steel no doubt, but like everything in this life it’s not indestructible. Anyhow, it’s done now and I’ll fix it but no more chopping bones for this little bloke.

I’ll fix it soon enough but I generally view sharpening like washing vehicles and mowing lawns and I’m tipping it won’t take five or ten minutes to fix.

I’m thinking I’ll follow the original bevel angle and take it to a 1200grit Venev bonded diamond finish without micro bevel, but I’m open to suggestion. :)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:09 pm
I’m thinking I’ll follow the original bevel angle and take it to a 1200grit Venev bonded diamond finish without micro bevel, but I’m open to suggestion. :)
I'm betting after grinding the damage out and finishing like you say, it'll suffer less damage, and maybe even none, doing the same thing.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm
Bloke wrote:
I'm betting after grinding the damage out and finishing like you say, it'll suffer less damage, and maybe even none, doing the same thing.
Yes, you’re likely right but once bitten twice shy so I’ll steer clear of bones for a while at least. Unless of coarse I happen to be carrying the knife and I’m attacked by a chicken in which case I’ll attempt to target it’s neck. ;) Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

In all seriousness I am looking forward to sharpening 4V and any challenge it may pose but I just wish I was sharpening a blunt edge rather than a damaged one. :)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm
Bloke wrote:
Yes, you’re likely right but once bitten twice shy so I’ll steer clear of bones for a while at least. Unless of coarse I happen to be carrying the knife and I’m attacked by a chicken in which case I’ll attempt to target it’s neck. ;) Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

In all seriousness I am looking forward to sharpening 4V and any challenge it may pose but I just wish I was sharpening a blunt edge rather than a damaged one. :)
It shouldn't take long to get those nicks out and down to better steel. Also, the diamond will help insure the carbides are shaped, and not just the surrounding softer metal.
That knife should make short work out of a chicken attack... but what about a big red roo?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Never bring a knife to a kangaroo fight :) but if this one is all you’ve got when loose or draw he ain’t hoppin away unscathed.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

This knife is bad*ss, and I need at least one to two more.

If I sharpen the top swedge, I'll post a picture.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

This knife.....it's calling my name. And my birthday is slowly getting closer ...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am
This knife.....it's calling my name. And my birthday is slowly getting closer ...
Mine was just two weeks ago... and this knife is still calling my name... :rolleyes: :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am
The overall design of the knife and choice of steel are proving to be an excellent combination and as far as knives go this thing is actually fun to use.

I won't buy knives I don't intend using and as cliche as this may sound the knife just screams "Use Me". Even just sit on the couch with the knife, I've fought the urge to cleave the corners off our coffee table. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

I was busy last weekend and haven't finished sharpening it yet since I chipped it but so far, 4V at very least has been a pleasure to grind with plain old SiC rocks and I can't help thinking it will end up silly sharp with minimal effort.

I reckon you should do yourself a favour and buy one. You too Gernot! :)