Province - First Impressions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Province - First Impressions.

Post by Bloke »

deuntajo wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:18 am
Hi Bloke...
Ah, hahaha! And Many Thanks for your well wishes and support, deuntajo! :cool:

If I read your post correctly (?), with regard to the factory edge "settling down" I'd say yes, at least in theory it will get better after it's been sharpened. I say this because edges on production knives are generally sharpened mechanically and looking at the edge on the Province I think it was most likely sharpened on a belt sander which is not a problem per se. However, as you may well be aware sharpening with power tools has the potential to stress and/or overheat the edge a little and maybe even leave a bit of a burr therefore weaken the edge a little.

So, carefully sharpening the edge by hand without stressing the edge or leaving a burr, will after a sharpening (or two perhaps), remove any stressed or overheated steel and improve both edge stability and edge retention. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
deuntajo

Post by deuntajo »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:25 pm
deuntajo wrote:
Hi Bloke...

If I read your post correctly (?), with regard to the factory edge "settling down" I'd say yes, at least in theory it will get better after it's been sharpened. I say this because edges on production knives are generally sharpened mechanically and looking at the edge on the Province I think it was most likely sharpened on a belt sander which is not a problem per se. However, as you may well be aware sharpening with power tools has the potential to stress and/or overheat the edge a little and maybe even leave a bit of a burr therefore weaken the edge a little.

So, carefully sharpening the edge by hand without stressing the edge or leaving a burr, will after a sharpening (or two perhaps), remove any stressed or overheated steel and improve both edge stability and edge retention. :)

Hi Bloke.
I agree with everything you say. With a couple of sharpenings and manual seating, it'll eventually stabilize the edge.
Let me take off topic: I left another post here before this one, and yet it doesn't show up.
Can it be deleted? It made a nice reference to Bowie knives and Crocodile Dundee's 'balls', and some humorous wink to what happened to you with the chicken :) ... but that, I don't think, is a good enough reason. So I ask you, I'm new around here and I don't know much about it.
You asked me before, "How are you finding your new knife?", the Province, and with that post missing, I was trying to answer you.

Thanks for your kindness, man.

I'll try to put it back up again and see if there's any luck...
deuntajo

Post by deuntajo »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:26 am
deuntajo wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:05 am
I do not wish to intrude, it is my first comment, please excuse me.

My eyes are popping out of their sockets!

I have thirty or forty edges (also by Spyderco) and I have given hard work to many of them.
It's time to give a Bowie a job.

I see in disbelief that the Providence, my next acquisition, is damaged by cutting up a chicken wing!
No one seemed to be affected beyond laughter...
And the most surprising and incredible thing: The knife fans, who have shared this thread, lose their souls to get the 'beautiful Providence' of 400 euros in Spain!

I'm out of my shirt!
Would someone please be so kind as to bring me out of the state of stupor and bewilderment in which I find myself?
Thank you.

Atte.
deuntajo
I use kitchen knives to butcher chicken. They are suited to the task.

But YES, I'm just a tad intrigued with regard to the chips too. My knife collection is large and they are all for tactical / self defense. My target material for cutting is whatever the offender is wearing and the epidermis beneath. There could be 3 offenders, so the knife has to stay sharp. I'd prefer my knives not chip too, but material science or metallurgy is a balancing act.

Hi, Naperville. In my little collection of blades there's a little bit of work, and a lot of tactics and defense.
The working ones are usually handmade, the others are made by brands that have a certain prestige among experts. Two examples could be USA Spyderco (Yojimbo has been in my pocket for years), and the European Extreme Ratio.
There's a lot I don't know, but quality is something I recognize easily, even if I catch it for the first time.
Greetings.
deuntajo

Post by deuntajo »

deuntajo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 am
Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:25 pm
deuntajo wrote:
Hi Bloke...

Hi Bloke.
I agree with everything you say. With a couple of sharpenings and manual seating, it'll eventually stabilize the edge.
Let me take off topic: I left another post here before this one, and yet it doesn't show up.
Can it be deleted? It made a nice reference to Bowie knives and Crocodile Dundee's 'balls', and some humorous wink to what happened to you with the chicken :) ... but that, I don't think, is a good enough reason. So I ask you, I'm new around here and I don't know much about it.
You asked me before, "How are you finding your new knife?", the Province, and with that post missing, I was trying to answer you.

Hi bro. My last three messages have already been posted. Sorry for the nuisances.
Greetings.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

deuntajo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 am

Hi Bloke.

You're most welcome, deuntajo! if you decide to hang around for a while you'll find we're a friendly lot and there are some very, very knowledgeable people across may different fields and professions who are more than happy to help us out, be it knife related or something off topic. :cool:

As a new member your initial posts will be monitor by our administrators. It's a pretty good idea really and saves disruption to our little community by time wasters and other undesirables. So hang in and you'll see your post appear as you submit them like everyone else before too long. :)
deuntajo

Post by deuntajo »

OK. Gracias de nuevo bró.
deuntajo

Post by deuntajo »

The amazing Bowie I don't need is on its way. But I couldn't do without him.

I have seen the trust placed in this knife by its creators and a user from the antipodes -Bloke- who, in order to have fun, has thrown it into a fight with a 'bad rooster' and encourages people to buy it. :cool:

Next week, the Province will be in my hands.
If he comes into the kitchen, I'll keep him on a strict fish diet... ¡not animals with feathers! :p

Although the coconut thing tempts me... :D
deuntajo

Post by deuntajo »

Hi!
Now that I have the Province in my hands, a phrase comes to mind that was said to me by a user - Naperville - and that made me feel the same as when I put on my old hat.
Bless him.
He said to me:
"To cut up chicken, I use kitchen knives, which do their job well."

So, for my part, I will let the knife go 'in its juice', without hurry, without special care, but I will NOT take it to a testing meeting without a sensitive reason.
For me, 'knives' that give me very good moments whether they are for work or pure pleasure, are an expensive hobby. I have always used them and taken good care of them. I will continue to do so.

The Province is a jewel, I have no doubt in view of all the information I have accumulated about it, and after wielding it in the air in a sort of "dance/kata/o saloon bullfighting" to finally knock down ¡Zas!'in one fell swoop' ('de un tajo' :D)- a live stick of acebuche of remarkable thickness.

Distinction, simplicity and pure lines, fine and resistant sharpening. Beautiful.

The handle, because of its peculiar shape, can be strange to the first touch. The sensation disappears as you hold it and move it, providing comfort and safety in handling, thus proving that its design is conscientious. The Black G-10 used for the grip, is of a quality and a precise and precious machining... of that... out of 10! For me, the best I know.

If, like me, you don't need another big knife, but this Bowie called you, he does it for compelling reasons.
He won't let you down.
Quality.

PS. Thanks to those who work selflessly offering comments and photos of their tests that serve those of us who ignore so much.
Bye.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

deuntajo wrote: Hi!
Now that I have the Province in my hands, a phrase comes to mind that was said to me by a user - Naperville - and that made me feel the same as when I put on my old hat.
Bless him.
He said to me:
"To cut up chicken, I use kitchen knives, which do their job well."

So, for my part, I will let the knife go 'in its juice', without hurry, without special care, but I will NOT take it to a testing meeting without a sensitive reason.
For me, 'knives' that give me very good moments whether they are for work or pure pleasure, are an expensive hobby. I have always used them and taken good care of them. I will continue to do so.

The Province is a jewel, I have no doubt in view of all the information I have accumulated about it, and after wielding it in the air in a sort of "dance/kata/o saloon bullfighting" to finally knock down ¡Zas!'in one fell swoop' ('de un tajo' :D)- a live stick of acebuche of remarkable thickness.

Distinction, simplicity and pure lines, fine and resistant sharpening. Beautiful.

The handle, because of its peculiar shape, can be strange to the first touch. The sensation disappears as you hold it and move it, providing comfort and safety in handling, thus proving that its design is conscientious. The Black G-10 used for the grip, is of a quality and a precise and precious machining... of that... out of 10! For me, the best I know.

If, like me, you don't need another big knife, but this Bowie called you, he does it for compelling reasons.
He won't let you down.
Quality.

PS. Thanks to those who work selflessly offering comments and photos of their tests that serve those of us who ignore so much.
Bye.
Yeah, it really is an amazing knife. Great first impressions write up. Definitely my favorite fixed blade. And yes that black g10 on it is really good. For anyone who thinks black g10 is boring you really need to see the handle on the province in person.

For me its my ultimate camp and utility knife. Those big sticks arent going to turn into small sticks all by thereself.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

deuntajo wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 pm
Hi!
Now that I have the Province in my hands, ...
Mi amigo, I’m intoxicating by the exuberance of your verbosity!

I’m also very happy you like the knife and could only wish I was a fly on your wall to see you dance. :)