Province - First Impressions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Province - First Impressions.

Post by Bloke »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:32 pm
I just came across this thread. Your photos make the Province look much better than the advertising pics. I passed on it based on those initial pics. But seeing yours in action it looks beautiful and practical. I want! Thx for a great post!!
Hi Pilgrim, it’s also a beautifully balanced knife. I’m not sure you’ve read all my posts but the handle shape had me a little puzzled at first while handling it sitting on the couch but in use it’s very comfortable and affords an very secure grip without any hotspots to date at least, and even with a random and relatively uncontrolled chop the knife doesn’t look like shifting or roll in your grip.

Something else that Voodoo (I think) picked up on is, even though it’s not a small knife, if it’s all you had on a camping/hunting trip, you could process wood for a fire and the thin grind and fine tip would allow you, in a pinch, to dress anything from rabbits to buffalo, I reckon.

For what it’s worth, I can’t see a similar knife within a similar price range knocking the Province off its perch anytime soon. ;) :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:27 am
Lol, this thread is KILLING ME :D
I'm just gonna HAVE to order one!!
Sell a Busse or 500 rounds of Walmart ammo, you silly bugger! Buy a Province and a bloody iPhone while you're at it. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha,ah, hahaha! :p
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:56 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sell a Busse or 500 rounds of Walmart ammo, you silly bugger! Buy a Province and a bloody iPhone while you're at it. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha,ah, hahaha! :p
BUSTED!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!! :D :D :D
I love it! You know me too well Bloke!! :p
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:12 pm
Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
You're bloody hopeless! :p

You've got enough firepower to start your own revolution, more QuickyMart ammo than you can poke a stick at, enough Busse's to open your own store but you don't have a Province or an iPhone. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D :confused:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:47 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

You've got enough firepower to start your own revolution, more QuickyMart ammo than you can poke a stick at, enough Busse's to open your own store but you don't have a Province or an iPhone. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D :confused:
No iPhone is a plus in my book. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:53 pm
No iPhone is a plus in my book. ;)
There's definitely some truth in that, Guy, but man oh goodness, they make it easy to talk to anyone on any continent for the negligible cost of a little data via FaceTime (audio, in particular).

I talk to a couple of members there in the US regularly enough and I may as well be taking to my next door neighbour on a landline. It's that clear. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:47 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

Bwaahaha!! That's awesome! :D
Okay, time to get a Province!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Had a campfire at my buddies house. Decided to baton one of the bigger first pieces of wood to open it up because the outside of it was damp. The province did just fine. No edge damage. Took longer to scrub off the sap on the blade than to baton through the wood.

How are you guys storing yours? I had a few small spots come up after storing it in my sheath in the closet inside. I know sheath storage will do this. Leave it in the box?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:25 pm
Had a campfire at my buddies house. Decided to baton one of the bigger first pieces of wood to open it up because the outside of it was damp. The province did just fine. No edge damage. Took longer to scrub off the sap on the blade than to baton through the wood.

How are you guys storing yours? I had a few small spots come up after storing it in my sheath in the closet inside. I know sheath storage will do this. Leave it in the box?
Cool! I’d have no qualms batoning mine through our hardest, dries timber.

I gave mine a coat of Ballistol when I first got it. Primarily where tang and scales meet but all over, just went about using it and left it at that.

I oiled it again after cleaning it, having cut chicken. I played with it some more since and left it on the coffee table unsheathed (because I couldn’t keep my mitts off it) about a week later I noticed one little spot of discolouration. I can’t say for sure but I reckon it was a stinking fly that did it.

Our flies are very friendly here and like to visit. It doesn’t matter how many fly screens you have to keep them out. :eek:

Anyhow, at present the knife is stored in it’s sheath, oiled with Ballistol again but wiped down dry for all practical intent in a fairly well ventilated draw.

Here’s the little spot, up near the spine, just aft of the SpyderHole. I could live without it but if that’s the worst that happens to it, we’re laughing. :) ;)

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:25 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Alex, could you post a pic of the tip from above (or to put it differently: Of the spine in the tip area)?

Though I am sure you were never worried about the tip strength, otherwise you´d already posted that.
Looks like the tip is well balanced too (like the whole design):Strong, but still a real, usefull TIP, right?!

Really thinking about trying to sell two or three of my fixed blades and get a Province instead (and I WOULD have already if selling knives would not be so akward and hard where I live)...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Whoops! :o
Last edited by Bloke on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:23 am
Bloke wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Hey Gernot, This is about as good as I could do for you.

View of the spine at the tip.

Behind the edge at the tip.

You may see here a little of the factory grind (I’m slack and haven’t finished sharpening it. :o) and how I’ve dropped the bevel angle a few degrees less than factory.

Honestly, you have nothing to worry about. Unless of course you do stupid stuff with the tip I can’t see you damaging it.

I have no idea of what timber you’re likely to encounter where you are so I don’t know for certain but I’d hazard a guess, it’s not likely to be too much harder than the Ghost Gum I’ve chopped and as you can see I’m confident taking the bevel angle a fair bit lower than the factory edge and would have no hesitation chopping into our Iron Bark, Turpentine, etc. that are even harder.

If you take into account you’ll pay $210 for a pissy folder to peel apples and admire, at $260 (comparatively) this knife represents exceptional value.

Thanks, Alex!

But tbh: I don´t see any pic... :o

And I am sure here in Austria we´re normally dealing with softer wood than you Aussies do! Lots of soft, coniferious timber, especially a bit higher up in the mountains (and that´s where you can find me usually.. :D )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:23 am
Bloke wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Alex, could you post a pic of the tip from above (or to put it differently: Of the spine in the tip area)?

Though I am sure you were never worried about the tip strength, otherwise you´d already posted that.
Looks like the tip is well balanced too (like the whole design):Strong, but still a real, usefull TIP, right?!

Really thinking about trying to sell two or three of my fixed blades and get a Province instead (and I WOULD have already if selling knives would not be so akward and hard where I live)...
Hey Gernot, This is about as good as I could do for you. :)

View of the spine at the tip.

Behind the edge at the tip. Just under 1.5mm or about 0.060” That’ll increase a little by the time it’s finish sharpened.

You may see here a little of the factory grind (I’m slack and haven’t finished sharpening it. :o) and how I’ve dropped the bevel angle a few degrees per side less than factory.

Honestly, you have nothing to worry about. Unless of course you do stupid stuff with the tip I can’t see you damaging it.

I have no idea of what timber you’re likely to encounter where you are so I don’t know for certain but I’d hazard a guess, it’s not likely to be too much harder than the Ghost Gum I’ve chopped and as you can see I’m confident taking the bevel angle a fair bit lower than the factory edge and would have no hesitation chopping into our Iron Bark, Turpentine, etc. that are even harder than the Ghost Gum.

Lastly, if you take into account you’ll pay $210 for a pissy folder to peel apples and admire, at $260 (comparatively) this knife represents exceptional value. ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:49 am
higher up in the mountains (and that´s where you can find me usually.. :D )
Too easy!

You shouldn't have too many problems cutting Edelweiss. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Too easy!

You shouldn't have too many problems cutting Edelweiss. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! ;)

:p :p :p Finally a knife that won´t break while Edelweiss-cutting! Have been waiting for that my whole life... ;) /

Thanks for posting the pics of the Province tip! Looks just perfect.. as said, though robust, still a real, usefull tip..
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Too easy!

Brand new Province IN BOUND my friend :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Gotta say, Alex, this is one more fantastic review you did.
As good as I've ever saw on this forum.
I'm sure this review has sold A MANY A PROVINCE.
Thank you buddy.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:40 am
Thank you buddy.
Hey Paul, you’re embarrassing me. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

The Province should sell itself. The design and production teams have put together an exceptional package and it’s only fair the knife and ultimately they get the recognition they deserve. I think the nitpickers at very best may find the sheath rides a little high etc. but other than that good luck finding fault with the knife. ;)

I think you’ll be very happy with the beast Paul, and like Jim said just use it. I can’t see too much hurting this knife and if the factory edge is any indication a couple of sharpening in I reckon this thing will be near indestructible. Wish I had this knife 30yrs ago ... I’d be a little wealthier today for sure.

Anyhow, let us know your thoughts when you have your Province in hand. :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:17 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:40 am
Thank you buddy.
Hey Paul, you’re embarrassing me. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

The Province should sell itself. The design and production teams have put together an exceptional package and it’s only fair the knife and ultimately they get the recognition they deserve. I think the nitpickers at very best may find the sheath rides a little high etc. but other than that good luck finding fault with the knife. ;)

I think you’ll be very happy with the beast Paul, and like Jim said just use it. I can’t see too much hurting this knife and if the factory edge is any indication a couple of sharpening in I reckon this thing will be near indestructible. Wish I had this knife 30yrs ago ... I’d be a little wealthier today for sure.

Anyhow, let us know your thoughts when you have your Province in hand. :)

It was fully tested in CPM 10V, then again in CPM S30V...

Believe me, I tried just about everything I could, both reasonable and gross abuse trying to hurt the S30V one that I have.

I couldn't hurt it...

So that CPM 4V production model should take quite a lot and handle just about anything, anywhere and under any circumstance one could find or be in.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx guys.
I just might do my 1st ever in depth review with this Province.
I tell ya what though, that Zoomer, was one helluva knife!
Talk about thin and sharp and just allround nice, it was!
But, this Province has more arse on her and will really haul the freight, from what I've seen of Alex's review and what you have said Jim. Yup, very excited indeed.