Province - First Impressions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Province - First Impressions.

Post by Dazen »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:27 pm
Pancake wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am
This knife.....it's calling my name. And my birthday is slowly getting closer ...
The overall design of the knife and choice of steel are proving to be an excellent combination and as far as knives go this thing is actually fun to use.

I won't buy knives I don't intend using and as cliche as this may sound the knife just screams "Use Me". Even just sit on the couch with the knife, I've fought the urge to cleave the corners off our coffee table. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

I was busy last weekend and haven't finished sharpening it yet since I chipped it but so far, 4V at very least has been a pleasure to grind with plain old SiC rocks and I can't help thinking it will end up silly sharp with minimal effort.

I reckon you should do yourself a favour and buy one. You too Gernot! :)
This is the best fixed blade I’ve used to date! Not only does it do everything I ask but IMO is the best looking fixed blade since I saw Rambo back in the 80’s. The feel of it is so nice, and I too have to restrain my myself in the house for fear wanting to chop down the furniture!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:42 pm
This is the best fixed blade I’ve used to date! Not only does it do everything I ask but IMO is the best looking fixed blade since I saw Rambo back in the 80’s. The feel of it is so nice, and I too have to restrain my myself in the house for fear wanting to chop down the furniture!
Very Happy to hear I'm not the only one wanting to chop stuff I shouldn't with my Province. It's the first knife in many years I actually get out just to handle. Ah, hahaha!

It's a little silly falling in love with an inanimate object but, hey it happens. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :o
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Very happy to hear that you guys are enjoying it and using it. :)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:27 pm

I reckon you should do yourself a favour and buy one. You too Gernot! :)
Well, maybe, not sure if I ,,need" one, but it's such a nice looking beast. Thank heavens that my birthday is on the end of November, that way I have more then plenty of time to think about it :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:03 pm
Well, maybe, not sure if I ,,need" one, ...
Ah, hahaha! That’s no excuse for not buying a knife! :D
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Question for Alex or Jim or whoever carried this knife on your belt. One thing that I don't like is the sheath, particularly how low is the loop for belt. How much irritating is the knife when you are carrying it?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:27 am
Question for Alex or Jim or whoever carried this knife on your belt. One thing that I don't like is the sheath, particularly how low is the loop for belt. How much irritating is the knife when you are carrying it?

I like leather drop loop sheaths personally, but you get used to it.

Here is info for one of the best sheath makers around IMO if you want a great leather sheath. Had more than a few made for my Busses when I had them.

Dwayne Puckett
Armoralleather (note here, one loooong word, not two)
PO BOX 33242
San Antonio, TX 78265

http://www.armoralleather.com/

The only other one I can think of that does sheaths that well is Randall and that is saying a lot. ;)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Thank you Jim.
I have a mindset that after some time you get used to all things ....it's 50:50 if I buy this knife or something else for Christmas.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:59 am
Thank you Jim.
I have a mindset that after some time you get used to all things ....it's 50:50 if I buy this knife or something else for Christmas.

I normally don't use the sheaths that come with the knives except for a few over the years.

If they aren't a drop loop I have one made.

Unless it's not a user then the sheath is fine for that...

But that's me... And I am picky as **** when it comes to sheaths...
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I also made some sheaths....leather ones were more on the rubbish side but they were ok.
But with kydex I could make some good sheath even when I am complete incompetent noob. Maybe I will made kydex for Province....if I buy it.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:54 pm
I also made some sheaths....
I generally don’t carry knives on my belt if I can help it.

The leather sheath that comes with the Province rides high but I’d say it’s functional. :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks Bloke! Looks like a **** of a knife. Now if it had green canvas micarta scales...
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:53 pm
Thanks Bloke! Looks like a **** of a knife. Now if it had green canvas micarta scales...
You’re most welcome, Ken! The knife’s a beast and amongst other great qualities the scales are screwed on so they’re easily replaced. :)

Black isn’t my favourite scale colour either. ;)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I got one of these before the map change. I love it. Its definitely my ultimate fixed blade. Now I need to figure out a camping trip so I can actually use it.

For the record the black g10 is some of the best looking black g10 Ive seen. The milled out handle gives it a really good looking pattern in person. Normally I agree that black g10 is a little boring and would want some color, but on this knife I like the black and silver contrast.

I really do like the thing. I just wish my normal daily routine had use for it. At least Ive got it for when I want to go camping.

I also dont see anything replacing it in the large fixed blade category. Im pretty sure this knife can do it all. Maybe if you didnt like clip points or really needed a drop point for skinning you would want something else. But for my outdoor fixed blade uses I just need something more along the lines of a do everything camp knife so its great. Its also the only knife Ive seen where the top and bottom of the handle is flat and all the contouring is in the "thickness". Its an interesting take on handle design and it works well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sal

Post by sal »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:07 pm
Pancake wrote:

The leather sheath that comes with the Province rides high but I’d say it’s functional. :)

Hi Bloke,

I removed the plastic insert from the sheath and it rides better in my opinion.

sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol, this thread is KILLING ME :D
I'm just gonna HAVE to order one!!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like how it pulls designs from some of the very first bowie knives, but... Everything about it looks futuristic to me. I really dig that about it. It almost looks high tech even though its just a knife. Like it should have been a prop for bladerunner or something.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:27 am
Lol, this thread is KILLING ME :D
I'm just gonna HAVE to order one!!
It's really a nice knife. I'm saving for my 2nd.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:22 am
Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:07 pm
Pancake wrote:

Hi Bloke,

I removed the plastic insert from the sheath and it rides better in my opinion.

sal
Something I didn’t think about, Mr Glesser.

I have zero complaints of the total Province package but I’ll remove the insert as you suggest.

Many Thanks for the tip. :)
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

I just came across this thread. Your photos make the Province look much better than the advertising pics. I passed on it based on those initial pics. But seeing yours in action it looks beautiful and practical. I want! Thx for a great post!!