Chief vs Police 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Chief vs Police 4

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 pm
I really like the ergonomics of the Chief, but after opening and closing it a few times I realized I preferred the Police for the more exposed opening hole. Same story with the Calypso. I love the ergonomics, but I'm used to the Police and Pacific Salt with their large, well exposed holes.

I plan to pick one up, but only after I get a P4 LW.
I wondered about this. The N5 is nowhere near as easy to operate as the Delica, so I was wondering. Thanks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Just messing with clips. I put deep carry one on Chief and then I put silver one on Police. And yeah, I am trying tip down carry just for lols- I want to know how it is like.....When maybe in the future I may buy Millie.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm
And yeah, I am trying tip down carry just for lols- I want to know how it is like.....
I did the same thing to my P4 LW about a week ago. I haven't put it back yet. I think tip up is a bit more comfortable in the hand (but not by much). I think the knife goes into and out of the pocket better tip down (the G10 model shouldn't have this issue). Most importantly, I think it feels more comfortable to extract the knife and open it from tip down carry.
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick, did you try this when you had it set to tip up? Makes a big difference with larger knives like the Police:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84757
:unicorn
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:56 pm
p_atrick, did you try this when you had it set to tip up? Makes a big difference with larger knives like the Police:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84757
Thanks, I'll try that out to see how it compares.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd go with the Chief. I like the lack of a thumb ramp and I think Golden makes a better back lock than Japan. I've also had better luck with things like blade centering with "screws on both sides" construction, vs the "pin and screw" construction that the P4 uses.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I want the Chief but I don't but I do but I don't but...ugg
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Owned both, sold the police 4. Easy decision. Chief ain’t going anywhere ever it is a forever knife.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:24 pm
I'd go with the Chief. I like the lack of a thumb ramp and I think Golden makes a better back lock than Japan. I've also had better luck with things like blade centering with "screws on both sides" construction, vs the "pin and screw" construction that the P4 uses.
Police 4 made in Golden with pivot like on Chief and Golden backlock would be an ultimate knife.

I may buy Millie in the future, just to complete the big bad knife trio.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:36 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:24 pm
Police 4 made in Golden with pivot like on Chief and Golden backlock would be an ultimate knife.

I may buy Millie in the future, just to complete the big bad knife trio.

The Millie is an ergonomic masterpiece, so you really should try one!!
Still, I´d prefer Chief and Police over it, mainly for their thinner blade stock and (just for me!!) better locks (ironically I happen to own a Millie, but neither Chief nor Police... :D )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Screw you tip down carry on Police!!!
I can live with the deployment and carry ability, but the clip is just in the wrong place for my hand. Now I am unsure about the Millie....