Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives...)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives..

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:43 pm
prndltech wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:48 am
My post didn’t make it from yesterday, so I’ll try again...

I’d work a deal with my attorney to give me one of my SE pacific salt’s back and they could keep the rest till i get em all back!
Very good reply! :p
And I have a feeling, if Vivi played this mind-game, he´d think of something similar... ;)
Too easy for me... I’m pretty sure I could do just fine if it was my only folder. It’s pretty much all I carry anyways.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Re: Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives..

Post by ladybug93 »

native salt is first on my list. it's not my favorite spyderco, but it's the one knife i carry when i want to only have one knife and it's the one i'd suggest to anyone looking for a good edc. it also has a non-threatening color and size, so there aren't any issues with carrying it most places.

next up would be the pacific salt, which i actually prefer for use on the water because of the serrations. it's the best marine knife i have and i love it. the pacific and native salts would make a great edc pair once they are reunited.

after that, i'd want my manix 2 lw in xhp back. it's my favorite pocket knife. not just my favorite spyderco, but my favorite knife overall. it has the best ergonomics of any knife i've ever held. it's almost perfection. it would be perfect if it was a salt with lc200n and screws instead of pins. this would pair with my pacific salt and my native salt would be set aside for when i want to only carry one knife or when i go to the beach.

next knife would be my yojimbo. it's just such a cool knife. i love the way it looks and it's great to fidget with. it rotates with the manix for my standard, pe edc to pair with my pacific salt.

finally, i would choose my resilience. i really like the size and shape of the resilience. it actually reminds me of a kitchen knife and i appreciate the extra reach when i'm cutting food because it keeps junk out of the pivot. it may not be the best spyderco, but it's a solid knife. i wish they'd produce it in golden with a better steel (although, spyderco definitely does better at 8cr13mov than some other manufacturers i've experienced).

if i had some of the other spydercos i want, i'm sure this list might change a bit, but i am really happy with each of these knives. they are all really great knives and each one would be adequate as the only knife a person carried for edc. hard to beat spyderco (except maybe in value sometimes).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:27 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:43 pm
prndltech wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:48 am
My post didn’t make it from yesterday, so I’ll try again...

I’d work a deal with my attorney to give me one of my SE pacific salt’s back and they could keep the rest till i get em all back!
Very good reply! :p
And I have a feeling, if Vivi played this mind-game, he´d think of something similar... ;)
Too easy for me... I’m pretty sure I could do just fine if it was my only folder. It’s pretty much all I carry anyways.
I am SOO close to ordering a Pac Salt in SE, really. I just want to know first, if the upcoming Pac Salt 2 will come in ffg (and SE) and not (only) in sabre grind.
If it came in ffg (and than most likely in LC200N) I´d wait, assuming (and I think that´s a given) it still has the Endura handle (3 or 4) and is linerless (and light by that)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anycal

Post by anycal »

For me, it is the same five as the 'top five' or 'if you could only keep five' question. The order is interesting. It would come down to usefulness.

1. PM2 Cruwear - even before :spyder: , this has been my perfect size for a knife.
2. Native 5 M4 or Cruwear smooth G10 - kinda torn right now
3. Military CF/Ti. If I had time, I would blade swap REX 45 blade into it.
4. Ikuchi
5. Caly 3. Maybe with good behavior I could sneak in the Chaparral or Delica? I'd let the prosecutor choose.

Peter
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:25 am
For me, it is the same five as the 'top five' or 'if you could only keep five' question. The order is interesting. It would come down to usefulness.

1. PM2 Cruwear - even before :spyder: , this has been my perfect size for a knife.
2. Native 5 M4 or Cruwear smooth G10 - kinda torn right now
3. Military CF/Ti. If I had time, I would blade swap REX 45 blade into it.
4. Ikuchi
5. Caly 3. Maybe with good behavior I could sneak in the Chaparral or Delica? I'd let the prosecutor choose.

We can talk about the Chaparral... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

In order of allowance:

1. Para3 cpm 4v
2. Shaman s30v
3. Para3 cpm s90v
4. Delica4 wharnie hap40
5. Outside of rule: rassenti midsize snafu

And if I cant get number5, I wait out the rest of the sentence with the other 4.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:52 am
In order of allowance:

1. Para3 cpm 4v
2. Shaman s30v
3. Para3 cpm s90v
4. Delica4 wharnie hap40

And if I cant get number5, I wait out the rest of the sentence with the other 4.

I am not really into flippers and/or frame locks, so I don´t know, but is there no Spyderco that gives you what the Rassenti does? Just courious...
Ric

Post by Ric »

Interesting mindgame :)

2 questions came up:
Do I still have kitchen knives?
What time of year is it?

If it is my only knife in the housefold it would be my kitchen folder: Endura FF VG10
If it is summer the first knife would: Para 3 LW

If the kitchen is well equipped and it is October:

After 2 month: Para 3 S35V earth brown black blade - latest buy and I want to get a patina on it
After 4 month: Dragonfly VG10 - small carry
After 6 month: Waterway - I want to experience and enjoy LC200N
After 8 month: Para 3 LW - perfect EDC
After 10 month: McBee - perfect tiny knife
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 pm
A.S.O.K.A wrote:
In order of allowance:

1. Para3 cpm 4v
2. Shaman s30v
3. Para3 cpm s90v
4. Delica4 wharnie hap40

I am not really into flippers and/or frame locks, so I don´t know, but is there no Spyderco that gives you what the Rassenti does? Just courious...
For me, its a preferance. The knife handle texture was made to my spec, The steel is xhp, the blade is a hollow ground bowie. Yes, at the end of the day, the cost of this knife could have bought a lot of spydercos. But given a choice, if I were stuck in the woods and can only carry one folder, it would be the snafu. My adventure with spyderco is manly trying new steels. And yes, along the way, there are a few models that fit my hand wonderfully( para3, lil native, and shaman), but I really look foward to the characteristics of different steels so when I finally start making my own knives, I know what steels I want in my inventory

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
A.S.O.K.A wrote:
For me, its a preferance. The knife handle texture was made to my spec, The steel is xhp, the blade is a hollow ground bowie. Yes, at the end of the day, the cost of this knife could have bought a lot of spydercos. But given a choice, if I were stuck in the woods and can only carry one folder, it would be the snafu. My adventure with spyderco is manly trying new steels. And yes, along the way, there are a few models that fit my hand wonderfully( para3, lil native, and shaman), but I really look foward to the characteristics of different steels so when I finally start making my own knives, I know what steels I want in my inventory
Thanks for the reply! XHP is a great steel, no doubt.

If you indeed start making your own knives, I sure hope we´ll see some pics here (or probably better in the "off topic" section) :)
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:52 am
A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Thanks for the reply! XHP is a great steel, no doubt.

If you indeed start making your own knives, I sure hope we´ll see some pics here (or probably better in the "off topic" section) :)
When I do, I'll let you know for sure :)

XdaveX

Post by XdaveX »

1. Paramilitary 2 - M390. This could be my only knife and I'd be just fine.
2. Manix 2 - Blurple S110V. Fanstastic edge retention,just love carry it, love the lock, love the blade shape. I like it more each time its carried.
3. Southard - CTS204P. This is one of my do anything knives as well. (Crap, most of my Spyderco knives are...)
4. Paramilitary 3 - S30V. ditto
5. Military - Black on black G10, S30V. This is my first Spyderco that I fell in love with. This knife made me realize how well Spyderco builds knives for easy carry and usability. I've beat this knife up and it's still in great shape.

(Now, Court, give me all of my knives back!!)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 am

Here are my choices:

After two month: Endura 4 in HAP 40: Versatile blade length, great ergos and edge retention, does really anything I need for me, and is perfect when I have only ONE knife for the coming two month
After four month: Endela SE: I just love that knife and how it cuts with its rather thin serrated blade, despite being a little short for my taste. And I´d absolutely want a serrated blade additionally to the PE Endura
After six month: Chaparral FRN: After SIX month I´d be really missing the little Chap. I just admire its design and perfect, tight fit and finish. And though it could never be my main EDC for being so small, I like doing as many cutting tasks as possible with it, enjoying the exceptionally slicey blade
After eight month: Stretch 1 in VG10 : Eight month without a Stretch is hard to imagine... And if I had a serrated one, I´d probably choose it instead of the Endela SE after four month already. But having the longer, in that more versatile Endura blade and the Endela SE, the Stretch just had to wait...
After ten month: Endura 4 in VG 10 / custom Micarta scales: Love the feel of the knife in hand, and VG 10 is a joy to sharpen. Still, I had to choose my HAP 40 Endura first, just for its better edge retention
... Now that I have the Pac Salt serrated, my OWN mind game got a LOT harder for me... :o ;)

I´d have to sneak in that model quite soon, but man, I´d want all that other five knives either..

If I had to do the list now, it´d probably look like this:

After two month: Endura in HAP 40
Afther four month: .... Well, Pac Salt SE... :o
After six month: Chap FRN
After eight month: Endela SE
After ten month: Stretch 1 in VG 10...