Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives...)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives..

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:14 am
1. Autonomy 2 - honestly the only knife I'd really need.
2. Pacific Salt SE - important to get my serrated blade back.
3. Native 5 Maxamet - good design, tough and lightweight, plus I love that Maxamet steel.
4. Police 4 - elegant slicey beast of a knife that carries extraordinarily well for its size
5. Advocate - a beautiful work of functional art. Just downright fun to own
Great selection Connor. I was tempted to put one of my SE's in my 5 as well, just couldn't choose one over the other 5. Wish we had an option of 10 knives! :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Re: Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives..

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:56 am
The Meat man wrote:
Great selection Connor. I was tempted to put one of my SE's in my 5 as well, just couldn't choose one over the other 5. Wish we had an option of 10 knives! :p
NO!! :mad: In the given scenario you were convicted for carrying a counterfeit, one of the meanest crimes possible !! :mad:
So you should be gratefull you´re still allowed to choose 5 knives over the course of a year! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
1. Autonomy 2 - honestly the only knife I'd really need.
2. Pacific Salt SE - important to get my serrated blade back.
3. Native 5 Maxamet - good design, tough and lightweight, plus I love that Maxamet steel.
4. Police 4 - elegant slicey beast of a knife that carries extraordinarily well for its size
5. Advocate - a beautiful work of functional art. Just downright fun to own

Yeah it's a horrible scenario isn't it?! :p :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:39 am
Stripped of sentimental and otherwise irrational attachments, here are the Spydies I would reclaim:

At 2 months, my SE Pacific Salt (an environmentally-carefree do-all carry).

At 4 months, my Lil’ Native (a Boston-friendly carry).

At 6 months, my Shaman (a Manix2-PM2 stand-in); I’d take my S90V.

At 8 months, my Chaparral (a serious slicer).

At 10 months, my Stretch2 (the reigning champion of CQI); I’d take my VG10.

And at 12 months, my Military (the reigning champion of getting it right the first time); I’d take my Rex45. Oops!
That´s actually a quite sensible and good "progression";

A larger, do-it-all, light, serrated, very carryable folder as first after two month, something small and legal almost anywhere after four, a larger, heavy duty plain edge after six, an amazing slicer after eight (though I would have chosen the Chap instead of the Lil Native earlier) an ergonomic masterpiece after ten.

Well done! ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:08 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Yeah it's a horrible scenario isn't it?! :p :D

I´ll admit, as someone stated already: It´s more nightmare knife world, not phantasy knife world... but I needed to create a shocking scenario to get you guys to think in a new way... :D ;)
Eric*the*Red

Post by Eric*the*Red »

1. Blurple Manix 2 (The second Spyderco I purchased and my all time favorite. We are inseparable)
2. Knifeworks Manix 2 52100 (A beauty and a beast all in one)
3. Knifecenter Manix 2 cruwear (I really like my Manix’s. The best ergos, perfect size, and my favorite lock)
4. Shaman S90V (I like everything about it except the tang bumping your finger when you close it)
5. Delica cruwear (I really like the it. Awesome little knife)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kerrcobra wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:13 am
This is hard. There are so many to choose from, and I don't even have my GB Advocate yet (arrives later today) so I can't know how it would've impacted these choices..
Sumdumguy wrote: ....
The GB Advocate may displace one of these, it arrives today!
BOTH of you will receive an Advocate today? Looks like you´ll maybe have to post an updated list after your first impressions... ;)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

First would be the Delica Cruwear.
Second would be the Rhino.
Third, doesn’t matter as I would have returned to a state of having only what I need. :o
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Holland

Post by Holland »

1. Dragonfly hap40
2. Delica hap40
3. Mantra 1
4. Stretch hap40
5. Junction
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Holland wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:15 pm
1. Dragonfly hap40
2. Delica hap40
3. Mantra 1
4. Stretch hap40
5. Junction
You must really love the DFly! :)

After two month without any knife at all you´d take such a short blade as your only one for the next two month? Amazing! Makes me think the DFly must be more capable than I figured!

Thanks for sharing
foofie

Post by foofie »

1. Para3 in s110v and micarta - my do everything knife
2. ukpk in s110v and micarta - my work knife and do everything else knife
3. smock - just for fun
4. para3 lw/maxamet. Do I need this one now? No... but I like it too much to wait. I almost put it #3, but it would be silly to have two Para3s so soon, right...
5. ikuchi

Odd - I never thought of myself as a compression-lock kinda guy. But 4/5 of them?!

foofie

Post by foofie »

And my other reply -
in penance for carrying a counterfeit spyderco - no knives for the whole year... :eek: :spyder:
Monty

Post by Monty »

This thread if anything makes me think how I might potentially pair down my spydies.

First would be the Shaman 4v if it's not summer, my new yet totally infatuated offspring.
Second would be the SE Dragonfly Salt, but if it's summer, this would be first. I love this knife and have backups NIB just in case.
Third would be the Siren, which is cheating according to the rules but this looks like a fantastic knife for us beach dwellers and might just become my EDC of choice for the humid conditions here.
3.5 would be the Native Salt SE that I suspect is going to be replaced in rotation by the SIren. Caveat being I hope the Siren gets a combo edge variation but a Ladybug Salt secondary is easy to carry.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My list is easy, because I don't have many.
1. Dragonfly
2. Endura 4
3. Delica 4
4. Autonomy
5. Bug
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

1. Endela SE
2. Native 5 Cruwear
3. GB 2
4. Salt 2 SE
5. Endela PE
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Listed in order, assuming kitchen/table knives were not taken.

Dragonfly zdp-189. I simply have this knife on me more, though H1 SE version was close, see choice 2
Salt 2 SE. This is soo close to taking top spot, and I do like SE H1
Chaparral LW. Great slicer, great size/weight for clipless pocket carry.
Stainless Delica vg10 SE. Heavy, not exactly rust proof salt 2. More a sentimental choice.
Sage 5 CF. This one is growing on me, it probably would have made more sense to be choice 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks to all who "played the mind game" so far, very interesting...

I wanted to point out once more, what´s the idea behind this addmittedly rather crazy scenario I created:
Really to think it through and think it would be true for a moment, and by that getting a new perspective.

Did NOT want to do another: "What are your five favorites" "What if you could only keep five (generally)"

But if you KNOW after a year is over you´re getting back ALL of your knives anyway, factors like "which one I payed the most for" "Which one is the best store of value" "which one I maybe don´t use, but it is a rare exclusive and I´ll never find one once more" - such factor DON`T come into play

Plus: If you imagine, every two month you´re getting (just) ONE knife back, so vey slowly accumulate your collection, is easyier to figure WHAT properties you really need in use (for example; "If I have one large stainless plain edge already, would my NEXT choice from a practical point of view rather be a small plain edge? or a serrated edge? Or some tool steel?" and so on...)
talesk

Post by talesk »

In order :

1) Hungarian (user)
My most carried knife, intro to Spyderco addiction.

2) Hungarian (mod project - wip)
Resume mod (ivory g10 scales with lanyard hole delete)

3) Hungarian (mint in box)
I've got a type?

4) Nirvana
O Canada!

I just love the ergonomics, action, and carry off this knife. Not too slicy but I had a ffg and still preferred the stock configuration.

5) Subvert

Deceptively slicy blade, fun recurve.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

My post didn’t make it from yesterday, so I’ll try again...

I’d work a deal with my attorney to give me one of my SE pacific salt’s back and they could keep the rest till i get em all back!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:48 am
My post didn’t make it from yesterday, so I’ll try again...

I’d work a deal with my attorney to give me one of my SE pacific salt’s back and they could keep the rest till i get em all back!
Very good reply! :p
And I have a feeling, if Vivi played this mind-game, he´d think of something similar... ;)