Michael Scotts thread about the One-eyed-Jack made me think about which of my Spyders I´d want to have back again first and implicitly, if I had lost or sold all I owned.
Developed a little mind-game, maybe some of you like to play it too and share...
Goes like this:
Phantasy knife world: You got caught carrying a counterfeit ( ), of course got convicted and the verdict of the court goes as follows:
- They take away ALL of your knives (Spyders, other brands, fixed blades,folders) you own of RIGHT NOW (when you read this post)
- You can get back ONE SPYDERCO-folder each two month, you may choose WHICH one (again: only SPYDERCO and only FOLDER!)
- You can choose out of ALL Spyderco folders you had at the time of the verdict but not one you did not own then or even never owned.
- You can keep all the folders you did choose (so you have one after two month, two after 4 month, 3 after 6 month...)
- You are NOT allowed to sell the knives you choose and buy another instead, in fact you are NOT allowed to buy or use any other knife at all for the whole year.
- After one year you get back ALL the knives they took from you
- So, summarizing: You can choose ONE Spyderco folder after two, another after four, another after six, eight and ten month - means after ten month you have five, and after twelve month you get all the knives back you had at the time of the verdict
How would that year look like, knowing that after it you´d get all your knives back anyway?
Which Spydies would you choose? And why ? Be it from a practical point of view, or cause you´re somehow "nostalgically attached"?
Here are my choices:
After two month
: Endura 4 in HAP 40
: Versatile blade length, great ergos and edge retention, does really anything I need for me, and is perfect when I have only ONE knife for the coming two month
After four month
: Endela SE
: I just love that knife and how it cuts with its rather thin serrated blade, despite being a little short for my taste. And I´d absolutely want a serrated blade additionally to the PE Endura
After six month
: Chaparral FRN
: After SIX month I´d be really missing the little Chap. I just admire its design and perfect, tight fit and finish. And though it could never be my main EDC for being so small, I like doing as many cutting tasks as possible with it, enjoying the exceptionally slicey blade
After eight month
: Stretch 1 in VG10
: Eight month without a Stretch is hard to imagine... And if I had a serrated one, I´d probably choose it instead of the Endela SE after four month already. But having the longer, in that more versatile Endura blade and the Endela SE, the Stretch just had to wait...
After ten month
: Endura 4 in VG 10 / custom Micarta scales
: Love the feel of the knife in hand, and VG 10 is a joy to sharpen. Still, I had to choose my HAP 40 Endura first, just for its better edge retention
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40