So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hambone56rx

Re: So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Postby hambone56rx » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:20 pm

Sal,

I only have S30V and Cruwear, but I would definitely take Cruwear all day long! It sharpens much easier for me, in my inexperienced sharpening ability and seems to hold it longer than S30V for me at least!

Hamilton

Ferris Wheels

Postby Ferris Wheels » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:12 pm

My top three in order are:

- CTS-204P/M390
- REX 45
- S110V

Rutger

Postby Rutger » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:05 pm

K390 - Good edge retention, hardness and decent toughness
S390 - Good toughness and wear resistance
Vanax - Super corrosion resistant and still good edge retention

That i own from Spyderco:
Maxamet - Long edge retention
REX 45 - Nice mix of properties and great hardness
LC200N - Great corrosion resistance, nice edge and easy to sharpen

gdwtvb

Postby gdwtvb » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Before you know what steels I like, you should know my use. General EDC carry.

Number 1: M390 (and clones). This is my latest favorite. I struggled and continue to have some difficulty with sharpening some steels like ZDP-189, I can do it, but sharpening a dull VG10 knife from dull to sharp is a joy. Sharpening a dull ZDP blade is a long arduous chore to me. I honestly sometimes don't carry a knife in some steels because I don't want to have to go through the lengthy sharpening process again, no matter how long it takes for them to actually loose their edge. M390 seems to me to be step up from S30V, elmax, and CTS-XHP. I find it not terribly difficult to sharpen, while holding an edge longer. To me this is the new gold standard for an EDC knife.

Number 2: VG10. Just an all around great steel. Easy to sharpen, and it gets screaming sharp. This is the first type of steel I ever got really sharp. It's like an old friend that I know and trust. Like the Toyota of knife steels, it just keeps working like it's supposed to.

Number 3: LC200N. Sadly I only have one knife in this steel, a Spyderco Tusk. (Hopefully to be rectified soon with the addition of a Spydiechef, and my belief that much of the salt line will be changing over to this steel.) I loved the H1 for when rust resistance mattered, but they never really hold up well in plain edge. I am hoping that the ladybug salt knife eventually gets switched over to LC200N as I would love the option to have a better rustproof plain edge in that platform. I like LC200N because it is as maintenance free as a steel gets. All it needs is sharpening.

Grizz

Holland

Postby Holland » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:56 am

1. K390
2. M4
3. HAP40
-Spencer

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Postby Doc Dan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 am

As many people who have said they love K390 the new Delica/Endura family in this steel should sell like hot cakes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”