So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Post by Bloke »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:09 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:00 pm
If we can add steels we don't actually own, my list would go
1. Vanax Superclean
2. M390
3. LC200N

All super stainless and super wear resistant steels.

Stainless by itself would be my first requirement for pocket/work knives, but edge retention matters also, thus H1 is not in the list.
I recently picked up a semi-mass-produced folder in Vanax SC. It's 2.3mm at the spine, with a fairly tall, full flat grind. It's quickly become a favorite steel. I like LC200N in my Spydiechef, but I'm not thrilled with how the knife feels in my hand. I'll probably grab a Native 5 Salt soon. I like CTS-204P (Carpenter's M390 Equivalent) in a ZT that I have, but I want to try it an knife with Spyderco's thinner blade stock and taller grind - The upcoming Watu with its 2.6 mm at the spine, FFG, CPM 20CV blade should scratch that itch. The excellent edge retention and corrosion resistance are also why I like all three of steels.
I didn’t mention Vanax SC only because it’s not offered by Spyderco, however in a custom fixed blade by Luong from Blunt Cut Knives I have, I think it’s an exceptional steel.

In my experience, sharpening response is most impressive, easily taken to silly sharpness with simple SiC stones. Edge retention is at very least on par with S30V or better and it holds high sharpness noticeably longer. It’s also exceptionally tough for the hardness and relatively thin grind in the knife I have. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JMM

Post by JMM »

I would have to go with...

#1 4v - to date, the best overall performance & balance of edge retention - that keen edge especially, toughness, and relative ease of sharpening, although admittedly I need more/time practice... seems to like polished edges allot, but does fine with not-so-polished as well... it seems happy cutting through some relative tough stuff and seems to not complain about it any more than just needing 3-5 minutes on the sharpmaker... the more of this steel I get the more I want!

#2 Rex45 - formerly my number one since the first Sprint, for all the same reasons as 4v, although in my relatively limited experience, 4V seems a wee bit better at pretty much everything. I am better an sharpening Rex45 than anything else on my list, simply from using (and sharpening) it the most...

#3 K390 - The P4 was my second Spydie after trying the Resilience... awesome steel, it is fantastic in every way as 4v and Rex45 -- I wish it had a wee bit more corrosion resistant, although I must confess that since I started wiping down my P4 liners with a silicon gun cloth, and blade with a tiny dot of mineral oil, I have had zero issues (with it or anything on this list) whilst living in a relatively wet & humid environment....

(#4 - honourable mention - Cruwear)

Cheers,

John
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:34 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:09 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:00 pm
If we can add steels we don't actually own, my list would go
1. Vanax Superclean
2. M390
3. LC200N

All super stainless and super wear resistant steels.

Stainless by itself would be my first requirement for pocket/work knives, but edge retention matters also, thus H1 is not in the list.
I recently picked up a semi-mass-produced folder in Vanax SC. It's 2.3mm at the spine, with a fairly tall, full flat grind. It's quickly become a favorite steel. I like LC200N in my Spydiechef, but I'm not thrilled with how the knife feels in my hand. I'll probably grab a Native 5 Salt soon. I like CTS-204P (Carpenter's M390 Equivalent) in a ZT that I have, but I want to try it an knife with Spyderco's thinner blade stock and taller grind - The upcoming Watu with its 2.6 mm at the spine, FFG, CPM 20CV blade should scratch that itch. The excellent edge retention and corrosion resistance are also why I like all three of steels.
I didn’t mention Vanax SC only because it’s not offered by Spyderco, however in a custom fixed blade by Luong from Blunt Cut Knives I have, I think it’s an exceptional steel.

In my experience, sharpening response is most impressive, easily taken to silly sharpness with simple SiC stones. Edge retention is at very least on par with S30V or better and it holds high sharpness noticeably longer. It’s also exceptionally tough for the hardness and relatively thin grind in the knife I have. :)
Not yet. One day I'll get my Sage 2 / Sage 5 hybrid with the Ti handles, integral comp lock, and Vanax blade. I might settle for a lime green or UGA red Native 5 Salt with a Vanax blade though.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:50 pm
Not yet. One day I'll get my Sage 2 / Sage 5 hybrid with the Ti handles, integral comp lock, and Vanax blade. I might settle for a lime green or UGA red Native 5 Salt with a Vanax blade though.
Ah, hahaha! It would be great to see Vanax SC in our favourite Spyders but I know it’s ridiculously expensive and I vaguely recall Mr Glesser saying it was unlikely to happen (for now(?)) because of that reason, but who knows what’s around the corner? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I honestly haven't gotten the chance to try too many, but:
1) ZDP-189. My first super-steel, and first couple of Spydercos were all in ZDP. Holds a fine edge for ages, easy enough to touch up on the Sharpmaker, and I always thought it had a certain golden shine to it.
2) K390. My newfound love. Just keeps working and working and working. SO easy to touch up. Plus I like that it starts with a K. Honestly. It's like they made a steel for me.
3) VG-10. This is a new one for me, actually. But I'm coming to appreciate what 3.5" of VG-10 can do.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vvs

Post by vvs »

1. CTS B70P on mule team blade. Stainless, shiny - easy to polish, aggressive cutter - my main desk knife for everything. The steel prone to plastic deformation which I like.
2. Elmax on 0801- easy to sharpen, holds keen/aggressive edge for long time
3. CPM REX45 on Para3 - best heavy duty edge for me. Excellent strong edge. Easily the same level of abuse withstanding as with other 3V blades (Boker Solo folder & Cold Steel Master Hunter) in much lighter/smaller and versatile package.
Humint

Post by Humint »

Number 1 (without a doubt): CTS-XHP

Number 2: S30v

Number 3: VG10
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 pm
Ah, hahaha! It would be great to see Vanax SC in our favourite Spyders but I know it’s ridiculously expensive and I vaguely recall Mr Glesser saying it was unlikely to happen (for now(?)) because of that reason, but who knows what’s around the corner? :)
Unfortunately, Sal has definitely said that, and in the stand alone thread where I was asking for the hypothetical Sage that I described again in this thread.
sal wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 pm
Hi Ugaarguy,

I'm not opposed to an integral Compression Lock. We've made a few prototype as well as a production piece. We also have a few locks that we've not yet built. Our Taichung guy is pretty busy these days, so everything takes longer to get into motion. I don't think we'll do much with Vanax at this time. It's very expensive, plus the extra taxes and it's seems to be difficult t get.

sal
eddiebob

Post by eddiebob »

Cruwear
VG10
M390
standy99

Post by standy99 »

M4
H1
PSF27 really enjoying the Junction
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

For my tastes (I like polished plain edges best, but edge retention is something I've gotten used to with modern stainless), the top three are:

M390 and its analogs, a great combination of critical sharpness, stainlessness and edge retention, not hard to sharpen either.

CruWear, easiest to sharpen, still has respectable edge retention and somewhat stainless. A really great compromise between various characteristics.

REX 45, great edges, not bad to sharpen and has some stain resistance compared to basic carbon steels and tool steels. The higher hardness over HAP 40 (and possibly alloy differences as well?) is a huge improvement IMO.

Lots of honorable mentions, in fact most of the steels Spyderco uses are ones I could be happy with in daily use...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 pm
Halfneck wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:44 pm
1) CTS-XHP: I've used D2 in knives for a while and I'm familiar with it's properties. CTS-XHP is a refined version of D2. It holds a good edge for my needs, and I can sharpen it well.

2) CPM-154: Again, I used a lot of knives in 154CM. It always did what I needed a knife to do. Another refined version of a steel I like.

3) L6: For something that can take a beating I really like L6.

Of course ask me next week and it might be different :)
Man! Never even heard of L6... :o

***understatement warning***

Bainitic L6 is a formidable steel!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

My top three steels for folders:

1) CTS-XHP: Good balance of traits and takes a great edge. I also find that it is relatively easy to sharpen regardless of the abrasive used.
2) H1: Truly rust proof. Amazing edge retention in serrated configuration.
3) K390: Superior performance! Sharpening is an absolute joy!
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Well, any steel can easily be bad, always boils down to the heat treat first and foremost and then it's all grind and edge geometry...

I've seen so many spoiled "supersteel" knives lately, but I'm amazed by Manly's 1.2379 right now. For what it costs, my Comrade is outduelling pretty much any other knife I own. Just wow.
jonnieb

Post by jonnieb »

1) M390 - gets very sharp, killer with good heat treatment
2) S35VN - outstanding all around SS for EDC knives
3) M4 - great edge retention, sharpens beautifully
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Easy. S110V just been a fantastic long cutting steel. Takes patience to sharpen, but i have the time. Maxamet same as S110V but even beastier on the retention, and required patience. HAP40. Takes an edge unlike anything else ive worked with. And really nice retention.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

1. k390 - I think this steel is a really good sweet spot for a company like spyderco. the performance is on the extreme upper end of currently available tool steels. While I think a lot of companies would not be able to deliver this steel to consumers in a form that really takes advantage of the material properties, Spyderco seems to be able to do so in pretty healthy production numbers. For some consumers it being non-stainless will be disqualifying but, as an a go-to option for a premium tool steel, I don't think there is currently anything available to Spyderco that clearly surpasses it. If every flagship model got a k390 version, that would be ideal to me.

2. cruwear - I suspect that the fact that this steel is so well balanced and also so user friendly is why it is so popular at the moment. I think it's a totally deserved reputation. Spyderco seems to have no problem making it available due to it being a US steel. I'd like to see it remain standard in Spyderco's catalog for the long term. Seems like a no-brainer. Again, not stainless. I might have said 4v as I prefer it performance(everything else being equal)but I'm thinking that cruwear is probably less expensive, more available and easier on tooling and therefore can be sold at a lower msrp. Maybe this isn't actually the case though. In my user experience, 4v also requires significantly more babying to prevent corrosion. Another factor to consider.

3. cpm 154 - There's a lot of SS choices that are in greater demand but have little if any performance advantage over cpm 154--in my opinion. Getting sprints of all the usual suspects in this steel would be excellent. I understand why this isn't an attractive idea for spyderco as I doubt they would fly off the shelves.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

1. S30V. I’ve had a number of Spyderco knives with this steel and it has served me well. Keeps an edge and well within my sharpening skills.

2. BD1N. Same and I think (subjectively feel) it’s a bit easier to sharpen.

3. VG10. A great all-around knife steel.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

HAP 40- basically high performance VG10
VH10- stainless, sharpens easy and toothy, doesn’t chip
H1- impervious to rust, serrated beast
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Here's my short list from having just about every Spyderco. From high school in 1990 to now being a father of two you boys. Taste change and so do the metals.

S90V- hard as heck to sharpen until you learn how. But is beyond wear resistant.

Cruwear- favorite for the past 2 years with Native, PM2, and the Proficient Micarta in the mix your working on now.

Hap40- I have just about every Delica and Endura in this model and it is great at edge holding along with a killer brown patina.
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D