So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Post by Tucson Tom »

cbrstar wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:50 am
I'm surprised at the lack of Maxamet lovers...
I'm not. Maxamet is unique and interesting, but doesn't even make it into my top tier.

Give me the choice between Maxamet and Cruwear, and it would be Cruwear every time.

I view Maxamet as a niche steel, it optimizes one set of properties.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:19 am
cbrstar wrote:
.. Maxamet is unique and interesting, but..... it optimizes one set of properties.
True and very true :) . I'm still waiting for someone to make a set a Maxamet drill bits..they'd be amazing! :D
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

CRUWEAR - Edging out my previous "all-rounder" CTS-XHP, Cruwear is imo the best blade steel on the market today. Edge retention/stability is phenomenal, ease of sharpening is unreal, and stainlessness is surprising given its relatively low chromium content. It's not the steel for someone who needs exceptional stain resistance but it's got enough to hold up against everyday food prep, sweaty pockets, etc. And maybe most importantly, it delivers great value! Spyderco sprints in Cruwear are usually priced similarly to their production S30V counterparts. Other steels that deliver a similar user experience all seem to have a prohibitive cost.

S90V - My stainless super (expensive) steel of choice at the moment. I like the way S90V gets dull, if that makes sense. It seems to get toothier as the edge apex widens, so it cuts aggressively even as it dulls. Feel like it would be perfect for a kitchen knife. 20CV might take this spot on another day - it's not as aggressive as S90V but definitely easier to sharpen.

ZDP-189 - This is my "wild card" steel. It holds a fine edge for a long time. I happen to like how ZDP sharpens - it really polishes nicely, almost like glass. On another day, I might have picked REX45, or 4V, or maybe M4... whatever I'm playing with at the moment.

I have yet to try many of the steels mentioned in the thread but plan to, namely: K390, LC200N, and Maxamet.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:19 am
I view Maxamet as a niche steel, it optimizes one set of properties.
Yes, but it's the set of properties most needed in a small-ish folding EDC knife.

I'm a huge Maxamet fan.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Yes, but it's the set of properties most needed in a small-ish folding EDC knife.

I'm a huge Maxamet fan.
Looking forward to my birthday when I'll finally pull the trigger on a Manix 2 LW in it and make it a permanent knife I'll own. I wish it was dlc coated, if not I pray it develops a pleasantly colored patina instead of the blackening of other high carbide tool steels.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

1. cpm 4v since I have been collecting different steels, 4v has been the one that got my attetion the most. Having it go from cutting paper, cardboad to carving up hard and seasoned wood while still holding a hair whittling edge is real treat. I'm not ignorant to the fact that its not stainless, but the performance to pricepoint ratio, it truly is a knife steel to keep in my collection.

2. cpm s90v very interesting steel. The kind of steel that gives an expirienced sharpener options with the right equipment. I can sharpen it to a high polished hair whittling edge that can last for two weeks of straight use without stropping inbetween. I can sharpen to a fine grit and get a decent lentgh of hair whittling edge and a decent length of working edge ( happy medium between the two). Finally I can leave a more coarse edge for a looong last and toothy working edge

3. cpm rex45 putting this steel through its paces by carrying and using the knife in this steel exclusively for one month to see how it will take it. By stropping it at the end of each week of use not only has the knife starting a new week hair whittling sharp, but at the end of the month I had stropped it and it still grabbed hair. Another thing to note, this steel responds to stropping extremely well with no stubbornness
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Instead of picking specific steels, I'd rather pick families of steel.

1. High speed tool steels. These include but not limited to production M2, M4, HAP40, REX45, Maxamet, and non production M3, M35, M42, T42.
These have performed consistently high for me at work, where my edges frequently contact other metals. Where most other steels become unusable after certain tasks without repair/sharpening, these are mostly still useable. This translates to more use between repair/sharpening. It wouldn't be as big a deal if the company wasn't losing $10-20k per minute waiting on a repair to continue production.
Also good for processing wild game and fish. Wipe down after each use.
I've been using HSS knife blades for just about everything since the mid 80's.

2. A11/10V/K390. Very high wear resistance and do ok at work, but have to be more careful side loading the edge than HSS types. These will field dress, skin, and process wild game and fish all day without sharpening, just be careful cutting through bone, or prying joints apart.
Maxamet might do just as well as these, but haven't confirmed. Wipe down after each use.

3. Low/no alloy 10xx/52100/5160. My preference for chopping or any other swinging type use that might involve impact, where hitting rocks, stone, nails in wood, fence posts, etc are possible. They are more forgiving of knotty woods. Easy to repair with files and simple abrasives in the field. Wipe down after each use.

How's that for weaseling out of the question. :D
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Maxemet
K390
Cruwear

I just like the edges these take.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

PMA11- I'm so glad I got to get a few of these mules, takes and holds such an amazing edge. Passes through material like current through a copper wire :p

PD#1- Does everything I ask from it and begs for more. No issues from corrosion so far and I've torqued it through hickory and cedar knots without chipping. Takes a mirror polish if you want.

4V- admittedly have used it less than the above but recently I set down and reprofilled all 3 and couldn't tell you which was which if it wasn't for the blade markings. Whittled on some hickory for about an hour after smacking the edge 10 or so times just to see what would happen... shaves the same it did when freshly sharpened.

All 3 set to around 30 degrees If I had to only pick 1 of the 3 it would be the PMA11. I'd love a DLC coated para3 with black hardware and white G-10. :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
normal

Post by normal »

I would have to go:
M390- gets razor sharp and holds it for a long time (I love my M390 Delica and would like to see more Spydercos in M390)
204p- same reasons as M390
LC200N- super corrosion resistence and also gets a fine edge
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Steel I would be happy with in every knife:
It's a close race, but 14c28N still strikes the best balance for easy "sticky edge" sharpening over something like S30V/S35VN, without giving up too much corrosion resistance or toughness. VG-10 is very close, practically a tie. I prefer these steels on the harder side; rolled edges are a bigger problem for me than chips, and the steel isn't hard to sharpen if I accidentally hit something hard. CPM154, CTS XHP and now BD1N are honorable mentions I don't have quite as much experience with for a relative comparison.

Steel I want for specific roles:

The caveat here is, of course, that I trust knifemakers to know what they're doing. If someone is selling a knife in H1 sold as a chopper, I trust that the geometry and balance are there and that the knife will make sense. Likewise with a CPM-4V chopper, an S90V fillet knife or a 52100 pocket knife.

So, for the extremes that still catch my eye:

Collectible knives: S110V
If I'm going to spend extra time sharpening a wear-resistant edge, I'd prefer it to be a low-maintenance steel that just stays "sharp enough" nearly forever, something I can carry once per week and sharpen annually. That also means I want a blade that won't get stains if I forget about it. S90V isn't awful for rust in my experience, but I've got a PM2 with pits on the blade from fairly mundane lunchtime prep use so I'll take the stain resistance upgrade for this role.

Swords: A nickel steel like L6. See also 8670, 15n20 seems like too much nickel but I'm willing to be proven wrong.
The caveat, of course, is an assumed heat treat for optimal toughness and shock resistance. I've always wanted a Howard Clark katana, even if I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with it. Sure, guys like big Chris are doing scary things in cutting competitions with 4V, and the swords I have in 5160 have been fine, but as a role-specific steel bainite L6 is the gold standard for swords in my book.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

1. S90V
This steel has it all. Corrosion resistant, won't patina, holds edge forever, not as hard to sharpen as you read on the Forums. I have no trouble getting it shaving sharp using the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

3. M390
Great all around steel. Stainless, easy to sharpen, holds an edge for a long time. Great choice for any knife.

2. Cruwear
Easily the sharpest knife I own is my Cruwear Manix. Wish it was stainless.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Powdered Stainless Steels: M390/CTS-204P/CPM-20CV, CPM-S35VN, CPM-S30V, CPM-154.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

emanuel wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:05 am
cbrstar wrote:
Don't be, it's not maxamet's fault, it's the thread's fault asking for just 3 favorite steels :D I had to pick either s110v or maxamet, but went with s110v for being a better balanced steel that's also almost stainproof depending on the HT.
Exactly, I was trying to pick 3, a stainless, a hard use, a pure cutting machine. I could have just as easily said MAXAMET instead of K390. I also could have ditched my tough steel and made my list Maxamet, K390, LC200N. Sal's list of K390, S90V, and H1 also could have been an option for me S110V too.... it's hard to pick three :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

After reading up on 4V, I changed my response on Page 4. For what I use a knife for, 4V may be a better steel.

WAS:
Maxamet
M390/20CV/204P
S35VN

NOW:
Maxamet
M390/20CV/204P
4V
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

1. CPM-Cruwear - Just a fantastic combination of attributes. Good wear resistance, great toughness, easy to get hair poppin sharp, descent stain resistance for a tool steel. It’s balance and ease of maintenance make it an easy #1 for me.

2. CPM-M4 - I really like how long M4 holds an edge while being reasonably tough and not too difficult to sharpen. Stain resistance is not stellar, but I’m pretty good about keeping blades clean and oiled.

Vanadis 4E - Wish it was used more on folders. Stays sharp a long time while having great toughness. My experience with it is limited to fixed blades, but I’ve enjoyed it a lot! Stain resistance somewhere in between Cruwear and M4. Supposed to be similar to 4V but have yet to try that one.
XdaveX

Post by XdaveX »

1. S35VN - It has good edge retention, sharpens reasonably, good corrosion resistance, and it just plain like the way it performs.
2. M390 (204P, 20CV) - Same as S35VN, but better edge retention
3. Maxamet or M4. Tough call for me. The nutty edge retention of Maxamet, or the lesser or M4 with better workability?

I love S90V, VG10, S30V, 1095, Cruwear, ZDP-189, 4V, LC200N, CPM154, and several others too. This is a hard question...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi XdaveX,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well with all the recent talk about blade steels I've been thinking about this question a lot in the past 3 days. I've come to the conclusion that it can't be done in just one category.

Because with Spyderco essentially becoming well known with their patented "Spyderedge" ( their own patented serration patterns) you've got two different dynamics going here. So I'm going to list them in PE & SE

For plain edged units I like M390, S110V and S3V and honorable mention for VG-10, XHP and S90V

For Spyderedged ( or serrated blades in general) I still love many of the older blade steels. But my current 3 favs are 440V ( S60V) ATS-55 and VG-10 and honorable mention for AUS-8 and MBS-26.

I wouldn't say it's an "apple versus orange" type difference but they are two completely different tool needs all together in my personal opinion and based on my personal uses over the years you just have to have two distinct categories. Very interesting thread!!! :cool:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

blades&wrenches wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:28 pm
Vanadis 4E - Wish it was used more on folders. Stays sharp a long time while having great toughness. My experience with it is limited to fixed blades, but I’ve enjoyed it a lot! Stain resistance somewhere in between Cruwear and M4. Supposed to be similar to 4V but have yet to try that one.
I own v4e and 4v blades and use them a fair bit. I haven't really been able to tell any difference between the two steels, although I admit I don't own any identical platforms in both.