Thinking about a Mule in PD#1

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
yablanowitz

Re: Thinking about a Mule in PD#1

Post by yablanowitz »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:16 pm
Was the Cruwear mule CPM Cruwear or non-CPM?
It was CPM Cruware.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 pm
Interesting stuff about Mule Teams might be coming. :cool: :p

sal
Now this is exciting (but he did say "might" -- well my fingers are crossed).
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My pd1 mule is an exceptional steel.

Excited by prospect of more mules.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:26 am
viewtopic.php?t=78142

Will have to update the thread above.

Found them both great steels with the PD#1 being the stand out as used both with a bit of boning and skinning

Will get handles made for both which will negate under scale maintenance for both.
Cheers Standy, it's always good to get reports on 'real world' usage out in the field. Thanks for the link, too.
TomAiello wrote:Was the Cruwear mule CPM Cruwear or non-CPM?
yablanowitz wrote: It was CPM Cruware.
Hmm, are you sure about that? I thought it was ingot Cruwear, although I could be wrong of course. From memory, they were recalled to be re heat treated, and the ones which were given the second correct heat treat had a line placed under the steel designation, so it read 'Cru Wear'. Some people held onto the original ones for 'collector value' - kinda like a misprinted postage stamp I guess.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I started out with an high polished edge with the PD#1 mules I have, but found I like them with a toothier bite more. Started whittling on some hickory just yesterday, felt more like cutting up a potato, it slid right through wood.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:52 am
standy99 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=78142

Found them both great steels with the PD#1 being the stand out as used both with a bit of boning and skinning

Will get handles made for both which will negate under scale maintenance for both.
Cheers Standy, it's always good to get reports on 'real world' usage out in the field. Thanks for the link, too.
Hmm, are you sure about that? I thought it was ingot Cruwear, although I could be wrong of course. From memory, they were recalled to be re heat treated, and the ones which were given the second correct heat treat had a line placed under the steel designation, so it read 'Cru Wear'. Some people held onto the original ones for 'collector value' - kinda like a misprinted postage stamp I guess.
I didn't make the steel so I can't swear to the process, but it was Crucible's version of Vascoware. Since it was made by CPM, I called it CPM Cruware, although it was spelled Cruwear. I suppose when I die the difference between wear and ware will be lost forever.

I remember the recall very well, since it was my post on Bladeforums that set it off.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:41 pm
I didn't make the steel so I can't swear to the process, but it was Crucible's version of Vascoware. Since it was made by CPM, I called it CPM Cruware, although it was spelled Cruwear. I suppose when I die the difference between wear and ware will be lost forever.

I remember the recall very well, since it was my post on Bladeforums that set it off.
Ah, thanks for the clarification Yablanowitz.

I think that Mule might have been made by traditional ingot process (but still by Crucible, as you say), whereas all the following Spyderco uses of the steel were made using the Particle Metallurgy processed version, hence the 'CPM' designation.

Can't speak for Tom, but I think he may have been asking about the ingot vs PM production process.

Here's Larrin's excellent history on the 8% chromium steels:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/06/03/ ... uff-steel/

From the article - PD1 stands for Punch Die #1.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

PD1 Mule was on weed control duty today. It's a very capable worker.
Attachments
mule_pd1_weed_control.jpg
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Cambertree wrote:
standy99 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=78142

The way the description of this mule is written on Spydercos site implies it's ingot Cru-wear. It's strange because it looks like Spyderco put CPM on all the other Cru-wear knives after the Mule. According to Larrin in the past Crucible made ingot Cru-wear but currently they only use CPM.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:40 pm
Cambertree wrote:
standy99 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=78142

The way the description of this mule is written on Spydercos site implies it's ingot Cru-wear. It's strange because it looks like Spyderco put CPM on all the other Cru-wear knives after the Mule. According to Larrin in the past Crucible made ingot Cru-wear but currently they only use CPM.
Yes, I believe you’re right, Josh.

That Mule was ingot Cruwear, and then the next Spyderco use of the steel, which was the G10 Manix, was CPM Cruwear as were all the following Cruwear knives.

There’s a Sal reference somewhere to this, but I’m at work at the moment and don’t have the time to search for it.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

This is what a cursory search turned up regarding ingot Cru-wear:
sal wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:49 am
Thanx for the support. Now maybe "youse guys" can help us pick some new Mule Teams?

The Cruware Mule is getting ready to be released again. CATRA tests were quite acceptable, especially for an ingot steel. The Elmax Mule teams are on the shelf for the next release. Then ???

Probably needs a new thread?

sal
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:37 am
This is what a cursory search turned up regarding ingot Cru-wear:
sal wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:49 am
Thanx for the support. Now maybe "youse guys" can help us pick some new Mule Teams?

The Cruware Mule is getting ready to be released again. CATRA tests were quite acceptable, especially for an ingot steel. The Elmax Mule teams are on the shelf for the next release. Then ???

Probably needs a new thread?

sal
Well that settles it but also brings up the question why use ingot in the mule but CPM in production? I guess if the composition did well in ingot form it should do better in the CPM process. I wonder if they planned on more ingot Cruwear knives?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I was given to understand that ingot Cru-wear is no longer made.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

Mule Team™ 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 is made using Carpenter's Micro-Melt, powdered metal technology. Crucible names their technology CPM (Crucible Powdered Metal). They are both powdered metal technologies just different names by different companies.

To quote Spyderco's catalog description:
"Thanks to Carpenter's advanced Micro-Melt powder metallurgy process, PD#1 possesses an extremely fine microstructure and uniform carbide distribution, as well as the enhanced compressive strength necessary for the demands of tooling applications. Collectively, these qualities give it a unique combination of wear resistance and toughness that make it ideal for use as a blade steel."

Does Carpenter or Crucible have the superior powder metallurgy process? That is a different question. Clearly Mule Team™ 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 is not ingot steel. In fact, what is ingot steel? Search for the definition. Is it relevant to powdered metal technology or just a description of the physical state of a steel?

Bill Maier
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

I guess I misunderstood and the above was not appropriate. Thought you were talking about PD1.
Bill Maier