CRUWEAR for all!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: CRUWEAR for all!

Post by Naperville »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:10 pm
Naperville wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:54 pm
It must be too expensive to make some of these sprint runs PERMANENT.
If a sprint is "PERMANENT" then isn't it just another regular production knife?

So get rid of all sprints? Make everything regular production? I suppose that could could be done but sounds kind of boring to me.
I have managed to buy 90 knives, and I think one was a Sprint, a Zero Tolerance 0450 in ZDP189. Sprints do not move the needle for me. If I have the cash in my pocket, maybe I'll buy it. Sprints are knives that people buy and stick in a shoe-box in their closet. There are not enough of them made to fulfill all of the orders. They do prove that the company can work with various steels, but not much else. Spyderco has made a game of it, and so has ZT.

An online custom shop would get everyone's attention if it were Spyderco's. Spyderco makes beautiful, high quality knives, with few defects, in high grade steels. A custom shop could be loaded with steels that are not available anywhere else, for a limited time, so that people have the time to save and get the knife they really want ordered. The time period could be six months to a year. So yes, it would be longer than a sprint. If there were 5 steels ordered for a particular knife, you could buy all 5, nothing stopping you, no mad rush, save up and buy them all.

I'm not a teeny bopper or tween, and marketing for that market does not move me.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:30 pm
I have managed to buy 90 knives, and I think one was a Sprint, a Zero Tolerance 0450 in ZDP189. Sprints do not move the needle for me. If I have the cash in my pocket, maybe I'll buy it. Sprints are knives that people buy and stick in a shoe-box in their closet. There are not enough of them made to fulfill all of the orders. They do prove that the company can work with various steels, but not much else. Spyderco has made a game of it, and so has ZT.

An online custom shop would get everyone's attention if it were Spyderco's. Spyderco makes beautiful, high quality knives, with few defects, in high grade steels. A custom shop could be loaded with steels that are not available anywhere else, for a limited time, so that people have the time to save and get the knife they really want ordered. The time period could be six months to a year. So yes, it would be longer than a sprint. If there were 5 steels ordered for a particular knife, you could buy all 5, nothing stopping you, no mad rush, save up and buy them all.

I'm not a teeny bopper or tween, and marketing for that market does not move me.

rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I would take cruwear in production instead of maxamet, with the grey. As always I do want more cruwear.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I get that a lot of people still like and use S110V, Maxamet, and ZDP-189, but I'm just thinking that CRUWEAR is a better steel for the broader market and the three steels I mentioned are more suited to sprints/exclusives geared toward the wear resistance junkies that inhabit this forum. Production steels should be geared towards the masses. Cruwear is perfect in that it is very well rounded in terms of edge retention, strength, toughness, sharpenability and very near stainlessness.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:33 am
I get that a lot of people still like and use S110V, Maxamet, and ZDP-189, but I'm just thinking that CRUWEAR is a better steel for the broader market and the three steels I mentioned are more suited to sprints/exclusives geared toward the wear resistance junkies that inhabit this forum. Production steels should be geared towards the masses. Cruwear is perfect in that it is very well rounded in terms of edge retention, strength, toughness, sharpenability and very near stainlessness.
I agree that cruwear may ACTUALLY be one of the best steels for EDC use, including the non knife nut general public, but I think the casual knife buyer really looks for the word "stainless". I know it is practically stainless, but it can not be marketed as such. The next question is how many casual uninformed knife buyers are purchasing knives over $100? They're probably buying $25 gerbers and kershaws, only transitioning to Spyderco's after becoming interested enough to do some research on pocket knives, so it still may work.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

What knives can I get RIGHT NOW in CruWear?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:54 pm
I'd have liked to obtain a Shaman in S90V, but I never have money for these sprint runs, and they are really ridiculous, because they target the same 2000 Spyderco fanatics who then put them in a shoe-box in a closet to never be seen again.
Look, this is just nonsense (or maybe whining, but I decided not to call it that). There are lots of things I don't have money for and wish I had, and that is just life. I am thankful for what I do have and I do OK. But this has nothing to do with sprint runs.

As far as putting them in a shoe box -- that certainly isn't what I do with my Sprints. I use them like any other knife and enjoy them. My s90v Shaman is one of my most carried knives. So it isn't like there is some social injustice going on here. If you want a sprint, you can have it. Start setting some money aside in a cookie jar for the next sprint that gets you excited and be ready!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

YES MEN - UNITE!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

gull wing wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:12 pm
What knives can I get RIGHT NOW in CruWear?
From Spyderco, or generally?

I think there's still the Cruwear native at KC. And there are a whole bunch of Cruwear options from other companies around.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

NATIVE! That's it? :(
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
mb1

Post by mb1 »

gull wing wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 am
NATIVE! That's it? :(
As far as dealer stock goes, but you can probably get a Cruwear Delica right now on the BF Exchange. They've been popping up about once/wk.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

foofie wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:12 pm

I just finished posting in the "3 favorite steels" thread -
#1 was s110v, #3 was ZDP. Chuckled when I read OP. Just shows you there are very different tastes, wants, and needs.
And I agree with above - room in the line-up to make everyone happy. That is one of the joys of Spyderco :spyder: :cool:

The main point I am trying to make is that the if you look at that thread you mentioned, Cruwear is probably the most popular steel in that entire thread, being mentioned in pretty much every other post. S110V is in a few posts, and yours may be the only one mentioning ZDP-189. Maxamet has about the same popularity as S110V as well.

Even if they replaced ZDP-189 with Cruwear in the British Racing Green Japanese knives, and S110V with Cruwear in the Blurple Golden knives, a dealer could still run an S110V or ZDP-189 exclusive down the road. And the remaining dealer inventory of S110V and ZDP-189 would likely be around awhile.

Maxamet is another one. Why not have Maxamet be a steel for exclusives and Cruwear be the production steel? Cruwear is more suitable for the general market, much cheaper, and is still probably more popular than Maxamet even on this forum judging by the 3 favorite steels thread.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be into Maxamet but I’d have to buy up new sharpening gear, ceramics don’t “cut it”. I like cruwear quite a lot, but my current favorite is M4. I think I’ve got the knives I need in cruwear, a para 3 and a millie. It would be interesting to try it in a fixed blade. But frankly, my Mora companion HD is meeting my needs at the moment :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

That Cru-carta Shaman would have been a heck of a production knife. 1200 is just the tip of the demand iceberg for that one. Hopefully some dealer does a Cruwear Shaman exclusive in a different color Micarta like Burgundy, Denim, or Green with 1200 Satin and 1200 DLC.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:13 pm
That Cru-carta Shaman would have been a heck of a production knife. 1200 is just the tip of the demand iceberg for that one. Hopefully some dealer does a Cruwear Shaman exclusive in a different color Micarta like Burgundy, Denim, or Green with 1200 Satin and 1200 DLC.
My hunch is that this one will result in more folks being unhappy than happy. A few releases have gone that way lately. :confused: I have found myself getting increasingly frustrated with this lately. Lightening fast sellouts look good on paper but they probably turn a lot of folks off.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:13 pm
Denim would be sweet.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:38 am
I’d be into Maxamet but I’d have to buy up new sharpening gear, ceramics don’t “cut it”. I like cruwear quite a lot, but my current favorite is M4. I think I’ve got the knives I need in cruwear, a para 3 and a millie. It would be interesting to try it in a fixed blade. But frankly, my Mora companion HD is meeting my needs at the moment :D
For less than half the cost of a maxamet knife, you can have all the required sharpening gear you need for it, which would also unleash your cruwear and m4 steels.