Wow Pacific Salt is being discontinued.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Wow Pacific Salt is being discontinued.

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Per Blade H.Q. these are the now Discontinued Spydies looks like the rumors of the Pacific Salt in H1 being discontinued were true after all. Better get your backups while they last.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Special-Sa ... dSpydercos
TomAiello

Re: Wow Pacific Salt is being discontinued.

Post by TomAiello »

The disco list says "looks for pac salt 2 in 2020".

I wonder if they'll move to LC200n. I'd rather have H1 for the SE, personally, especially if that keeps the price down on a great utility blade.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:20 am
Per Blade H.Q. these are the now Discontinued Spydies looks like the rumors of the Pacific Salt in H1 being discontinued were true after all. Better get your backups while they last.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Special-Sa ... dSpydercos
It's important to note that we also stated there will be a Pacific Salt 2 coming in 2020 (as TomAiello pointed out). You'll find the comprehensive list of discontinued models (and any appropriate footnotes) pinned at the top of the forum (or see the link from BornIn1500 above).

I don't want to over-dramatize the change or cause undue concern. Particularly since the Pacific Salt is issued to military personnel. ;)
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Ah, I see thanks for the links guys, Kristie, when I got that email from Blade H.Q. it surprised me. Looks like it was no surprise at all, after all. That is awesome that the Pacific Salts are issued to Military Personnel first time I heard that.

There are a couple listed there beside the Salts that made me scratch my head like the Hundred Pacer. Really love my Hundred Pacer, hard to believe it is discontinued but do remember Sal talking about a smaller version here on the forums.

Hope we will see that in 2020 as well as the new Salts.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kristie or Sal: I'd be very interested to know if the Pac Salt 2 will come in ffg (and no longer sg) and serrated! (Steel would have to be LC200 N I guess)? Maybe you could tell us?

If it also will still be linerless, I'd sure wait for the Pac. Salt 2, and not buy the current version.
H1 might be a great steel, but I just prefer ffg by a LOT over sg...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The Pacific Salt had a massive run, longer than the E3 IIRC?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only own six... it's time to grab a few more :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wow. There goes my next paycheck. I'm going to be buying backups of both SE and PE.

Sal, Kristi - Can you tell us any details about the knife? In order of interest for me:

1. Is it based on tbe Endura 3 or 4 handle, or something new?

2. SE or PE or both?

3. H1, LC200N, or something new?

4. 3oz still?
Last edited by vivi on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't really want to spend the money right now, but I have to get an all black SE sometime before they go away.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was kinda hoping they'd drop a bit lower. I'm kinda excited for the new version but also worried because I think I prefer the current ergonomics over the Endura 4 style grip (really don't love either). Mostly (and I know I'm probably alone here) I really like the old style barrel screw pocket clip because they remind me of the Native Lightweight which was my first Spyderco.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:26 pm
I was kinda hoping they'd drop a bit lower. I'm kinda excited for the new version but also worried because I think I prefer the current ergonomics over the Endura 4 style grip (really don't love either). Mostly (and I know I'm probably alone here) I really like the old style barrel screw pocket clip because they remind me of the Native Lightweight which was my first Spyderco.
I like the clips too. It's a simple design that eliminates the need for a dedicated lanyard hole, and you can tighten or remove the bolt anywhere with two coins.

I'm excited to see the new version but if the Salt 2 is any indication they'll be using a modified Endura 4 handle and H1.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:29 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:26 pm
I like the clips too. It's a simple design that eliminates the need for a dedicated lanyard hole, and you can tighten or remove the bolt anywhere with two coins.

I'm excited to see the new version but if the Salt 2 is any indication they'll be using a modified Endura 4 handle and H1.

I'm hoping that since it's a whole new mold (assuming they make the handle screw construction like the Salt 2) maybe they'll tone down the finger grooves like they did with the Endela.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd give it a shot then, but if it's the E4 handle then I'm sticking with the current version.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:16 pm
Wow. There goes my next paycheck. I'm going to be buying backups of both SE and PE.

Sal, Kristi - Can you tell us any details about the knife? In order of interest for me:

2. SE or PE or both?

4. 3oz still?
Plus, once more: sabre grind or ffg?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:16 pm

2. SE or PE or both?

4. 3oz still?
We think alike. I want to know too, wich way the upgrade will go. If I have to guess, I say E4 handles, no liners like the Salt 2, ffg LC200N plain/ serrrated and H1 HG too for variety and old school lovers.
We'll find out in december;)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

If I had to guess, I would guess about the same. Is December the release?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i know there was talk about a ffg lc200n pacific salt, but i don’t know why people would assume that the pacific salt 2 would be any different than the salt 2. it’s probably just going to be the same knife with an updated handle, which has also been mentioned in the past.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Didn’t Sal mention somewhere the the Pacific Salt 2 would incorporate FFG but he planned to keep the same handle scales right away? I hope this is the case, as I like the Endura 3 handle more than the Endura 4.

Edit: found the quote in the “LC200N Pacific Salt” thread
sal wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:27 pm
I would like to make the first run in the current Pacific handle, both black and yellow. Thought about using an off yellow and maybe an off black to distinguish the steel from H1. We plan on making a new Pacific 2 handle like the Salt 2. We'll use the current E4 pattern wit no liners like the Salt 2 (ribbed inner structure) Sorry for the few that don't like the shape, but the large majority likes the E4 shape. Blade will be same as H1 version in pattern, but full flat ground. We'll use the stronger tip. Those that don't like it can regrind their spines.

sal
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Sal mentioned in the disco thread that saber ground serrated H1 isn’t going anywhere for the new model, so we will have to wait and see if there is in fact a LC200N FFG option in addition to that.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.