Wow Pacific Salt is being discontinued.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Wow Pacific Salt is being discontinued.

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:20 am
Jazz wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:00 pm
I actually decided I like medium serrations best. Shallow are okay, but a bit deeper, the points and valleys can hold onto seatbelts, rope, and what have you better, with less chance of slipping off before you make an important cut. Maybe that’s all in my imagination. I haven’t tested.

I think there's more to this than simply shallow vs deep, but since those are the most common types we get they're all we discuss. I would also prefer them to be a bit deeper, as in more curved and more U shaped so that the teeth themselves are more pronounced. However, I would also like those points to stay more rounded than sharp. The other issue is that the deeper into the blade the serrations go, the thicker the blade gets so the blade grind needs to be thinner, and since most SE knives have traditionally been saber/hollow grinds this meant that the blade was super thick at the top of the serrations. Now that we're seeing more FFG/SE blades hopefully we can get a happy middle ground where we have a decently deep serration that doesn't end up being super thick at the top of the bevel. As I see it, the better slicing/better performing SE/FFG combos are performing better not so much because of the shallow or deep grind of the serrations but rather because the blade is ground thin at the top of the serrations, ala Caribbean. It's also more than simply making them all FFG, if you compare the Caribbean to a SE Military the difference is drastic, the Military's blade grind is significantly thicker which reduces slicing performance. The resulting "deep serrations" really don't have much to do with the shape of the serrations themselves, they're a result of the thickness of the blade grind.
That´s a great point, and would further explain why my Endela SE is such an amazing performer, noticeable better than the serrated portions on both my Delica comboedge and the Endura comboedge I had (both sabre grind of course)

I am a bit afraid that my constant recommendations of the Endela SE are becoming annoying already, but I nevertheless have to do it one more time here:
Folks, whoever wants to try / experience what David wisely stated above: The Endela is a great and rather cheap option to do so, and there are not too many more (3mm stock, ffg, serrated Spydies).
I peronally think: Even if one does not particularly likes FRN; backlocks, Endura-family knives, and so on, anybone who just loves great performing blades won´t be disappointed by the Endela SE. I myself was more than (positively) surprised.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Delica wharny FFG serrated should be at the top of the heap in terms of slicing.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:51 am
I am a bit afraid that my constant recommendations of the Endela SE are becoming annoying already, but I nevertheless have to do it one more time here:

Don't worry about it. It's really a great design that needs more talking about. I don't even like 3.5" knives, but I now have a PE and SE Endela. When it's in your hand, it just feels like you want to cut something with it. Something about it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:28 am
Delica wharny FFG serrated should be at the top of the heap in terms of slicing.

Yes, sir. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here’s a question. Is the Salt 2 going to get the FFG green handled LC200N treatment? That would be a very much used knife by me. Both PE and SE.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:36 am
Here’s a question. Is the Salt 2 going to get the FFG green handled LC200N treatment? That would be a very much used knife by me. Both PE and SE.

My currently "most important Spydie question" too... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm guessing this means the plan of releasing a Pacific Salt 1 with FFG LC200N blade is going to the same place that the ZDP189 / Ti Police 3 idea went.... :(
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:48 am
I'm guessing this means the plan of releasing a Pacific Salt 1 with FFG LC200N blade is going to the same place that the ZDP189 / Ti Police 3 idea went.... :(
So you mean that you might end up with -for you! - the " worst of both worlds": Still sabre grind, but E4 instead of E3 handle)??
tangent

Post by tangent »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:36 am
I hope so....and I hope we get a Wharnie as well. The wharnie has become my EDC.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am
Vivi wrote:
So you mean that you might end up with -for you! - the " worst of both worlds": Still sabre grind, but E4 instead of E3 handle)??
I've anticipated them moving to my less preferred handle at some point, especially since the Salt 2 employed the Delica 4 handle. But, I expected to get the current Pacific Salt in full flat grind first. For years Sal has talked about doing a Pacific Salt 1 in FFG LC200N PE, but it looks like that won't happen now. I guess the Native Salt is as close as I'll get. Maybe I'm wrong and they still plan to release it, but I'd be surprised if they did a Pacific Salt 1 sprint at the same time the next generation launches.
:unicorn
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:
I've anticipated them moving to my less preferred handle at some point, especially since the Salt 2 employed the Delica 4 handle. But, I expected to get the current Pacific Salt in full flat grind first. For years Sal has talked about doing a Pacific Salt 1 in FFG LC200N PE, but it looks like that won't happen now. I guess the Native Salt is as close as I'll get. Maybe I'm wrong and they still plan to release it, but I'd be surprised if they did a Pacific Salt 1 sprint at the same time the next generation launches.

Did I miss a reveal that had the new Pac salt?.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:22 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Did I miss a reveal that had the new Pac salt?.
No, but on the disco'd list this year, Kristi noted that the Pac Salt was being replaced by a Pac Salt 2 very soon.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Do you think the Endela will come out in a salt version?. The "Mediterranean Salt"
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:12 pm
Do you think the Endela will come out in a salt version?. The "Mediterranean Salt"
I see what you did there...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Vivi wrote:
Well, all your fandom of the SE Pac salt wore me down, and I got one before it's gone for good. I'll probably still get any Pac salt in lc200n, if and when that happens.

I've only ever had an endura 4, not 3, so I'm interested in the handle difference also. This was a big reason I wanted to not miss the boat on these. Figured I can always sell it if it isn't my favorite

Ps, the comment I quoted didn't have much to do with that, but I didn't know how to tag you any other way
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:
I´d be sorry for you should that happen, since I know how much you prefer the "old" Endura handle.

BTW: Finally, my Pac Salt (SE) is on its way to me (could even arrive today if I am lucky... ) so I hope we can discuss Endura handle vs Pac Salt handle soon once more (me then actually knowing what I am talking about.... :rolleyes: ) ! ;)

Anyway, should I like the Pac Salt handle (and I just can´t imagine I´ll DISlike it, I am just courious how it compares to the E4 handle which I love as you know), I´d be very interested too in an FFG PE version!! As said, NOT specifically in the total rustproofness (VG10 would be more than fine with me, but from all I hear LC200N is a perfect EDC steel too), but in having basically a linerless, and by that even lighter Endura ffg PE. I am just too much of a mountaineer, just as I guess you are too much of a serious roadbiker, to not sometimes being in situations where I look for the lightest weight possible, as long as my gear remains still fully functional and robust.