Wow Pacific Salt is being discontinued.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Wow Pacific Salt is being discontinued.

Post by TomAiello »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:49 am
I don't want to over-dramatize the change or cause undue concern. Particularly since the Pacific Salt is issued to military personnel. ;)
If the military is a concern, then you definitely can't change it to LC200N. Every single navy guy I know calls the Pacific Salt "the H-1" because of the marking on the blade. ;)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I will wait for new one. But the combo of LC200N, FFG and backlock sounds nice. Maybe I try Spyderedge for the first time.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The original Pacific Salt is so good, I just ordered another two, one as a backup (which I’m disinclined to keep, given all my Spydie alternatives) and one for my daughter.

I’ve not jumped on the disco’d list before.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N SE > H1 SE in my book after getting my hands on an SE Caribbean.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:39 pm
What would the retail price difference be, though?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

At the disco price it's roughly half the price of a Caribbean. Whether or not the Caribbean is twice the knife is one of those YMMV situations, but it definitely is for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:54 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

At the disco price it's roughly half the price of a Caribbean. Whether or not the Caribbean is twice the knife is one of those YMMV situations, but it definitely is for me.
i love my pacific salt, but if i lost it, i'd seriously consider replacing it with a caribbean.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

The current PE Pacific Salt is one of my most carried knives. Often kicks a Sebenza out of pocket ;)
I ordered one each of the discontinued PE and SE as backups. Hoping for a first run of LC200N with the current E3 clip and handle but happy to have some H1 spares :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:54 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

This is dead on accurate, if not underselling the Caribbean a bit ;)

While I had no problems with my Pac Salt, it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the Caribbean. After spending some quality time with the SE version, my Pac Salt found a new home within a week.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I know firsthand the Pac Salt is a fantastic knife. I haven't had a Caribbean, but I am absolutely sure it is also. I don't see how the two compare at all though. Ther are several Spydercos much closer to each model to reference, at least from my perspective.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I haven’t tried a Caribbean, nor will I, but you either love backlocks, or you don’t. Nothing can replace the Pacific.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:31 am
I haven’t tried a Caribbean, nor will I, but you either love backlocks, or you don’t. Nothing can replace the Pacific.
You've seen the light, my friend, as your words speak the truth.
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

I hope there is market support for both H1 SaberSE and LC200N FFG PE and SE. I really like my H1 SE and may have to get a spare just in case. I have not found anything lacking in it.

After some sharpening to smooth the points it is impressive in what it can do. Slices soft tomatoes and even cheddar cheese very easily and controlled. Slices through thick cardboard like a greased zipper. Rope is nothing. That PE tip is super handy. I was working on some cabinets and instead of getting a proper tool from the garage like a screwdriver (!!) I used the Pacific Salt H1 tip for prying a stuck hinge apart. Knew I was taking a chance but thought why not see how good this H1 is. No damage to the tip or edge. I really like this knife!! LC200N may be wonderful too, but H1 is earning a lot of my respect right now. I trust this.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:31 am
What don't you like about it?

Personally, I love backlocks. They are a VERY close second to compression locks.

As a tool, the Caribbean is a different animal and the Pac just couldn't compete IME.

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me the lock is actually one of my lowest priorities. If the ergonomics don't work for me it won't matter what lock it has. I'd be happier with a slip joint with great ergonomics over my favorite lock type with crappy ergonomics. If it doesn't feel right in my hand I won't make it far enough for the lock to matter.

In a perfect world if both these knives had similar handle shapes that work for me it would be a much different conversation.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:46 am
Didn’t Sal mention somewhere the the Pacific Salt 2 would incorporate FFG but he planned to keep the same handle scales right away? I hope this is the case, as I like the Endura 3 handle more than the Endura 4.

Edit: found the quote in the “LC200N Pacific Salt” thread
sal wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:27 pm
I would like to make the first run in the current Pacific handle, both black and yellow. Thought about using an off yellow and maybe an off black to distinguish the steel from H1. We plan on making a new Pacific 2 handle like the Salt 2. We'll use the current E4 pattern wit no liners like the Salt 2 (ribbed inner structure) Sorry for the few that don't like the shape, but the large majority likes the E4 shape. Blade will be same as H1 version in pattern, but full flat ground. We'll use the stronger tip. Those that don't like it can regrind their spines.

sal
Great you found the quote!!! Based on that I´ll most certainly wait for the Pac Salt 2.... I would have been VERY interested in the Endura 3 style handle and the magic of serrated H1 (Pac Salt 1), but the Pac Salt 2 will come in ffg (and hopefully serrated!) instead of the sabre grind that the Pac Salt 1 has. Prefer ffg by a lot over sg.... so it will be the Pac Salt 2 for me, most likely.
Still linerless, E4 pattern handle: Perfect for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:03 am

After some sharpening to smooth the points it is impressive in what it can do. Slices soft tomatoes and even cheddar cheese very easily and controlled. Slices through thick cardboard like a greased zipper. .....

With all respect just an honest question: In my experience, if you have two blades of similar stock and shape and sharpness, but one is sabre / hollow grind and one ffg, the former stands no chance when it comes to cutting cardboard - what do you think?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Why is everyone assuming the new model will be FFG?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:52 am
Why is everyone assuming the new model will be FFG?
Just look at the Sals quote above! He said so... :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:11 am
What don't you like about it

I dislike compression locks - they can pinch, and just aren’t anywhere as handy as a back lock. I’m not in the free-swinging or flicking camps either. I do have a few comps, but rarely use them.

I do hope there’ll be a bunch made first with FFG Lc200n and the same old style handles. That’ll please everyone. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.