Official 2020 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby TkoK83Spy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Yea I thought that was an interesting looking knife but figured there must be something wrong with it because I've NEVER once heard anybody talk about the Magnitude in my 2 years around here.
Currently have 18 :spyder: 's in 14 different steels.

-Rick

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby Woodpuppy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm

I’ve been giving the Junction a closer look with the price drop, but can’t find much about it except some questions on the blade steel. Has anyone actually used this knife? Skinning only or general woods knife?
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby SF Native » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:03 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:48 pm
Yea I thought that was an interesting looking knife but figured there must be something wrong with it because I've NEVER once heard anybody talk about the Magnitude in my 2 years around here.
I don’t have this one but I have the lil brother, Rubicon. The Carey knives are really well made. Flipping action is good. The are really beautiful. Maybe a bit chunky with that contoured handle for edc use, but doable. Blade is on the thicker side but that helps with good flipping. Never got this one because I already have one similar.

murphjd25
Member
Posts: 2188
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Bothell,WA

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby murphjd25 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm
I’ve been giving the Junction a closer look with the price drop, but can’t find much about it except some questions on the blade steel. Has anyone actually used this knife? Skinning only or general woods knife?
I have one but have only used it to break down some cardboard. The handle is way to skinny and I just can’t get a comfortable purchase on it no matter what I try. As far as the steel PSF27, I love it. Can’t go wrong with the improved version of D2.
Josh

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3006
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby abbazaba » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm
I’ve been giving the Junction a closer look with the price drop, but can’t find much about it except some questions on the blade steel. Has anyone actually used this knife? Skinning only or general woods knife?
Just took delivery last night... It's a quite thin and light knife IMO, with a not quite stainless steel. Initial impressions of the ergos are that the handle is a little small, but I didn't have time/excuse to use it last night. I like everything else GB has done some I'm betting in use/carry it will be a good one, especially for the closeout price.

Monty
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby Monty » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:26 pm

SF Native wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:03 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:48 pm
Yea I thought that was an interesting looking knife but figured there must be something wrong with it because I've NEVER once heard anybody talk about the Magnitude in my 2 years around here.
I don’t have this one but I have the lil brother, Rubicon. The Carey knives are really well made. Flipping action is good. The are really beautiful. Maybe a bit chunky with that contoured handle for edc use, but doable. Blade is on the thicker side but that helps with good flipping. Never got this one because I already have one similar.
It's captivated me enough I've watched some reviews. I don't own any liner lock flippers and don't see myself carrying one over my current lineup but for a fidget toy/collectible it looks really enticing at $180. ETA: Especially as the reviews were posted when it was full price.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby Woodpuppy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:39 pm

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:05 pm
I have one but have only used it to break down some cardboard. The handle is way to skinny and I just can’t get a comfortable purchase on it no matter what I try. As far as the steel PSF27, I love it. Can’t go wrong with the improved version of D2.

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:06 pm
Just took delivery last night... It's a quite thin and light knife IMO, with a not quite stainless steel. Initial impressions of the ergos are that the handle is a little small, but I didn't have time/excuse to use it last night. I like everything else GB has done some I'm betting in use/carry it will be a good one, especially for the closeout price.

Thank you both. I’m not afraid of a re-handle. But I just can’t find any extended use feedback, here or on the tube. It does well in rope cutting, but.... I’m interested in how it would do for general camp duty. My little $18 mora is excelling at that at the moment... :D
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

Monty
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby Monty » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:39 pm

I talked myself into the Magnitude. Seems like a solid flipper and I haven't had good experiences with framelock flippers, I tend to grip them too tight, locking them up. Does anyone know if the screw pattern for the clip matches any other Spyderco's?

prndltech
Member
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby prndltech » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:14 am
Waiting to see pac salt prices dip. Current pricing looks like pre map adjustment.
I’m not sure where you’re looking. A few websites had them for $68 and sold out! The SE went quick! I was beat out at one and then I found them at GP and went a little overboard...
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby Woodpuppy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:12 am

$68 would be pretty darn good!! Probably all gone by now...
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 6489
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby Vivi » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:56 am

prndltech wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:14 am
Waiting to see pac salt prices dip. Current pricing looks like pre map adjustment.
I’m not sure where you’re looking. A few websites had them for $68 and sold out! The SE went quick! I was beat out at one and then I found them at GP and went a little overboard...
Cheapest I saw was $78. If you know of any going for under $70 PM me. I ordered some already but I'll grab a few more for that price.

phaust
Member
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby phaust » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:38 pm

I got a DLC PE Pac Salt for $62 on the bay. Last I checked they still had some

User avatar
sovereign
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby sovereign » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:41 am

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:32 am
BladeHQ just bested KC prices on a few models including the Advocate and Mantra2

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Special-Sa ... ShopButton
Called to confirm and was told all of the Advocate stock at BladeHQ is non-CQI. :(

sok
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby sok » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 am

sovereign wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:41 am
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:32 am
BladeHQ just bested KC prices on a few models including the Advocate and Mantra2

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Special-Sa ... ShopButton
Called to confirm and was told all of the Advocate stock at BladeHQ is non-CQI. :(
I received an Advocate yesterday that I ordered from DLT Trading. It was the CQI version. The date code is BR

murphjd25
Member
Posts: 2188
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Bothell,WA

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby murphjd25 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:31 pm

I would say go for it if anyone wants an Advocate. Mine is first gen and flips just fine. I think that whole ordeal was blown way out of the water.
Josh

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby SF Native » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Monty wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:39 pm
I talked myself into the Magnitude. Seems like a solid flipper and I haven't had good experiences with framelock flippers, I tend to grip them too tight, locking them up. Does anyone know if the screw pattern for the clip matches any other Spyderco's?
Monty, did you get the magnitude yet? What do think? Awesome? Ok? Eh?

Monty
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby Monty » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Not yet. I saw BHQ sold out though.

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby SF Native » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Monty wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:16 pm
Not yet. I saw BHQ sold out though.
Hope you give us a quick review when it arrives.

Monty
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby Monty » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:15 pm

I recall seeing a review of some knife where they called it "beautifully impractical", which probably sums this one up for me. I can tell just from the pictures that the clip is positioned way too far down for my preference in carry. Fortunately I have EDC pretty well covered, the Magnitude is just going to be for fun, and with the closeout pricing I'm happy I picked one up as a representative of the Taichung collection.

GarageBoy
Member
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Postby GarageBoy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:22 am

Is the junction a good all around camp knife of is the handle too thin for that?


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: avocadobbq, Bing [Bot], BornIn1500, Cali HogHead, Cambertree, Chris.Magers, Dodge, Google [Bot], Mattysc42, MSN [Bot], Spydergirl88, Stuart Ackerman and 24 guests