Help me decide : Chicago , Ladybug, Manbug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: Help me decide : Chicago , Ladybug, Manbug

Post by Cambertree »

I like the Manbug out of the options you gave. It's a good discreet knife to carry as part of a pair.

Downsides: it's so small and light, I fear losing it and not noticing at the time. And even with a lanyard bead or knot, it's not really a 'full grip knife'. My ZDP189 Manbug gave me the worst bite I've ever had from any of my Spydies, when I slipped closing it after slicing up an appetiser at a restaurant to share with friends.

The Dragonfly is on a whole other level, and I've used it as a 'real working knife' for years without any issues. That tiny pointy shelf on the back of the handle is genius, enabling you to take a full fist grip if you need to (depending on the size and shape of your hand - I take size L gloves). The ZDP189 Dragonfly is my personal favourite, but there's plenty of great options.
Last edited by Cambertree on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dragonfly, Manbug, Roadie, Cat (for size comparison)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd also say Dragonfly. Lil Native comp lock if you want to spend a bit more.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Lil Native is closer to the size of the Cat pictured above. I prefer the backlock Lil Native of that series.

My wife prefers the Dragonfly because it fits her tiny hands but can still be used for real knife chores.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I can't get along ergonomically with the lady/man bugs - those finger grooves force my fingers in an awkward spot - 58mm victorinoxes work better

I'd go with the urban/chap/lil native/dragonfly size
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Out of that list I’d go for the Chicago. The construction is the most robust and the newest versions have BD1N which is the best steel out of the three as well. I’d highly recommend the Lil’ Native as well though if you can stretch for it.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Of those three, here’s my two cents.

https://youtu.be/OFsLeBGrvPQ
- best wishes, Jazz.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have no experience with the Chap or Chicago, so excluding those, if I were choosing only one, I'd say Dragonfly. It's not much bigger, but there is enough difference to make it a one knife option, and it has a clip. I also have a Lady and Manbug, and both are great. It's probably a coin flip between them, each with some advantages and disadvantages. I carry the Dragonfly much more often though, and save the little ones for dress pants, or when I probably won't absolutely need a knife, but will probably find one handy for something anyway.