Have you had a folding knife open on accident?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you had a folding knife open by accident?

Yes, in my pocket carried clipless
10%
Yes, clipped to a pocket
21%
Yes, clipped to my waist band
3%
Yes, carried in a pack
No votes
Yes, after dropping a closed knife
24%
Yes, in some other type of scenario
7%
Yes, more than once
12%
No, I have never had this happen
22%
Other
1%

Total votes: 91

ladybug93

Re: Have you had a folding knife open on accident?

Post by ladybug93 »

one time, i was sitting in a class and had drifted off into my mind. i completely forgot where i was and opened my cold steel recon 1 xl. i was trying out carrying it for the first time. you should’ve seen everyone’s faces when that thing clacked open. i learned you don’t fidget with a 5.5” blade in public. does that count? hahaha
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:23 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:59 am
The Deacon wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:08 am
Never. Perhaps because, in my 66 years of carrying a knife, I've only rarely carried anything other than slipjoints, lockbacks, and midlocks, three types of folding knives with a very strong bias to closing.
That is likely the reason. Just don’t fall down a mountain :D :D :D

Seriously, that is a good testament to knives with a bias to close.

A lot of folks seem to judge a knife by how quickly and reliably they can flick it open and are willing to accept weak blade retention as the price for that. Still, I've occasionally wondered why Spyderco has never offered an "old school" backspring liner lock for those who prefer something with strong blade retention.
The only company making a liner lock with a back spring that I know of is Case with the Mid Folding Hunter.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:20 pm
The only company making a liner lock with a back spring that I know of is Case with the Mid Folding Hunter.

Victorinox makes some. This Sentinel is one of them...

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

As far as I know Victorinox models that lock also have a back spring.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I bought my very first locking knife back in 1977. It was a large Schrade folding hunter. It did NOT look like the Buck 110-type knives. It had a brass liner lock and a back spring. The brass liner lock was only intended as an added safety to the back spring. It came with a leather sheath. It would have been too big and heavy to pocket carry.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:50 am
one time, i was sitting in a class and had drifted off into my mind. i completely forgot where i was and opened my cold steel recon 1 xl. i was trying out carrying it for the first time. you should’ve seen everyone’s faces when that thing clacked open. i learned you don’t fidget with a 5.5” blade in public. does that count? hahaha
HaHaHa! In some places that would be normal behavior, in others people would be running and screaming. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Only once. I was carrying my Sliverax IWB at about 5 o'clock (in back) and was getting up and down in my chair at work. I'm pretty sure it opened because the detent was kind of light and the flipper tab got pushed by the waistband of my blue jeans. I've since fixed the detent but I haven't carried that one IWB since
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I've had folders with thumb studs and pocket clips configured for tip-up carry open in my pocket when I was simply trying to retrieve them... that's why I don't like tip-up carry in the pocket for folders. I'm fine with Spyderco folders with pocket clips configured for tip-up carry only because the company uses the Spyderco Round Hole versus a thumb stud.

I've had the blade on frame lock folders open when the knives were accidentally dropped on the floor.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Yes! Only once, thank goodness. An unclipped Military opened in my pocket just over a week ago. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Happened to me with an Opinel back when I was a kid. Of course I hadn't rotated the lock and it came open in my pocket. Gave me a nasty jab at the base of my thumb. Or maybe I should say "I gave myself a nasty jab".
---------
Tony S
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Multiple times with multiple knives. Salsa did it twice, once while clipped and once unclipped. Cut me both times. ATR carried IWB opened on draw and assassinated my shirt. D'Allara drop point opened clipped in a cargo pocket and cut me when I reached for it. Same thing happened with a Dodo. Ladybug on my keychain opened a couple of times as well. Dropped a Li'l Temp on carpet and it popped clear open and locked.

There is a reason I prefer tip down carry. Every knife that has ever opened in my pocket has been tip up.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Just when dropped. Never in my pocket. So I voted never.

Well... not accidentally anyways. One of the better cuts I sustained to me jeans was when I was trying to quick draw a PM2, with my thumb on the hole. I pulled it while it was already partially opened. No blood, but pocket didn't make it.
Peter
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Yeah... and it wasn't pretty. It was a Mel Pardue designed automatic made by Benchmade. It's super-thin, super-light, and just right for a rigorous backpacking expedition. The edge was honed to an unnecessary degree of sharpness. I was carrying it without the safety on because... well... who ever heard of a knife coming open in someone's pocket? So I needed the knife to hack up something for dinner, jammed my hand in my pocket to grab the knife, and instantly knew that I had made a grave error in judgement. The red stuff was leaking out at a disconcerting rate. But when you're atop the mountain in freezing weather in the middle of night, options are limited. I washed it off in water, my partner found some kind of goop in a first aid pouch, we wrapped it up, and continued on with dinner.

Moral of the story: An auto with an easy-to-operate switch needs to be carried with the safety enagaged.