Which Steel In you’re experience is your favorite for Spydie Edges?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which Steel In you’re experience is your favorite for Spydie Edges?

VG10
21%
S30V
3%
440V
3%
8Cr13MoV
No votes
No votes
LC200N
7%
H1
48%
Some other steel not listed
17%

Total votes: 58

Cambertree

Re: Which Steel In you’re experience is your favorite for Spydie Edges?

Post by Cambertree »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:57 am
Wow Cambwrtree thank you for sharing, made it feel like being there.
JD Spydo wrote: Hey thanks for the detailed information "Cambertree" :) But I do remember reading either in one of the major knife magazines or in some factory catalog where they listed VG-10 was intended to be an "agricultural steel">> but none the less it proved to be a really good all around knife blade steel for a wide range of different types of knives and edged cutting tools. I have no plans on getting rid of any of my VG-10 Spyders in SE or PE. Sure you've got to sharpen the VG-10 PE blades a bit more but VG-10 has a really nice sharp edge that penetrates easily when you cut something.

It is amazing how well the Japanese cutlery industry has done in modern times. Especially in the culinary sector. And VG-10 is a great blade steel for kitchen/culinary uses especially in SE.
Thanks very much Doeswhatever and JD.

JD, your experience with 440V/S60V in hard use is very interesting. Have there been any SE or CE knives run in S90V?

We haven’t heard much here about ZDP189 in SE, but from what I recall hearing, some users reported it as not being an ideal SE steel?

I think part of the reason for better edge stability in SE VG10 vs SE H1 simply comes from VG10 being harder and stronger.

I’m looking forward to hearing more about Larrin’s tests, when he has had a chance to play with a SE H1 knife a bit.

I believe Sal’s comment about SE H1 having the longest cutting CATRA result was specifically in the context of the Jumpmaster, which has a very high hollow grind.

One thing to remember about the CATRA test is that the blade is held in a jig perpendicular to the card stock. In real use, I find SE H1 can roll at certain points along the edge quite easily, because it takes more transverse type stresses.

Don’t get me wrong, I like H1 SE a lot, but I think there’s still a lot of work to be done to clarify our understanding of how and why it behaves the way it does in Spyderco’s serration patterns.

Also, as Larrin has noted, we don’t have many ‘apples to apples’ comparisons. For example an identically hollow ground SE Jumpmaster in VG10, S30V, LC200N and say, AEB-L would be very interesting to compare with the H1 model.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Which Steel In you’re experience is your favorite for Spydie Edges?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have a sneaking hunch, call it my Spydie-Sense if you will but it is tingling and I suspect Sal has found a way to FFG H1 and the new Pacific Salt will have it.

Sal has a serious interest in a few things I have noticed one of my all time favorites the Hunter evolved to the Stretch enough to the point he is now putting out a straight spine and on these forums has called it out as a test piece.

Sal has a love for S90V also which I completely agree with and has spoken well of H1 and it is not going anywhere.

Sal / Spyderco is the leader in steels and I have faith he will solve the riddle of H1 FFG.

Let's see if your friendly neighborhood DWEASC Spydie sense is tingling right