Manix 2 adjusting pivot screw help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cao87

Manix 2 adjusting pivot screw help

Post by Cao87 »

another question on the manix 2 i finally got to adjust the torx screw on my manix just have some questions
1. do i have to have the knife or open or closed to adjust the screws
2. for some reason when i loosened the screws it got harder to close is that normal?
and do i just need to lube it, also whenever i get to buy the lube where do i put the lube in the knife, and how do i clean it (for future reference)
Cambertree

Re: Manix 2 adjusting pivot screw help

Post by Cambertree »

1. I'm assuming you're adjusting for opening/closing action, so start with the blade open and adjust til there's no side to side blade wobble. Then open/close etc and adjust until you're happy with the action. Less than 1/8th of a turn can be the difference between too loose and too tight.

Don't overtighten the other screws.

2. Hard to say without looking at it, but I wouldn't worry about it. Drop lube with a needle applicator down into the pivot area between the steel liner scales and the blade. This is assuming you have the G10 scaled Manix. Less is more. I've used Ballistol, Tuf-glide, Lanox, Mineral Oil - they all work. You can put a drop into the spring/ball bearing which is hidden in the plastic release cage mechanism from time to time.

For disassembly and cleaning and general knife knowledge, there's a bunch of stuff on Youtube. Here's Nick Shabazz's how-to:

https://youtu.be/j417NVRl9r8

As I recall, you work in a cut flower wholesale distribution warehouse, so if your Manix is getting damp or wet frequently, you might want to take it apart and lightly coat the liner scales and other metal parts with Tuf-glide or some other corrosion protectant.

When you dismantle a Manix, just be careful to do it in an area where you won't lose the spring and cage if they come flying out. If you're careful and anticipate this during disassembly/reassembly it shouldn't be a problem.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

thanks for the advice but i have the manix 2 Light Weight
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Cao87 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:25 pm
thanks for the advice but i have the manix 2 Light Weight
No worries, just lube the pivot and the ball bearing/spring mechanism from time to time.

Wash with warm soapy water if you need to and dry in warm air (like near a heater or with a hair dryer), then lube again lightly.