Rusty Waterway - Your Thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like a Tool Steel version of the Waterway?

CPM M4 - Jade G10 Scales
6%
CPM 3V - Red G10 Scales
3%
CPM 4V - Dark Green G10 Scales
11%
CPM REX 45 - Burnt Orange Scales
17%
CPM CRU-WEAR - Powder Blue Scales
12%
Negative
51%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 65

vivi

Re: Rusty Waterway - Your Thoughts

Post by vivi »

I think LC200N performs great in this design, even if we ignore the corrosion resistance.

I have a lot of similar sized knives in carbon steels and there isn't anything I do with them I wouldn't do with a Waterway.

Bloke, if you could choose any specific steel, which would it be, and what advantages do you think it would present you? Looking for more toughness? Edge holding?
:unicorn
Bloke

Re: Rusty Waterway - Your Thoughts

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:31 pm
I think LC200N performs great in this design, even if we ignore the corrosion resistance.

I have a lot of similar sized knives in carbon steels and there isn't anything I do with them I wouldn't do with a Waterway.

Bloke, if you could choose any specific steel, which would it be, and what advantages do you think it would present you? Looking for more toughness? Edge holding?
Hey Vivi, I agree with your observations on the Waterway and LC200N. I’ve given my Waterway a fair workout on our local hardwood etc. and find LC200N is tough enough with good edge stability though edge retention seems to leave a little to be desired. That certainly isn’t a criticism of either the steel or the knife, just this layman’s unscientific observations.

With regard to what steel I’d like to see, I’d have to say all the steels mentioned but most of all I’d like to see M4 and CruWear, if for no better reason than I don’t have any, though I do have a Boker CruWear folder that’s a little too nice to knock around and much prefer using a fixed blade over a folder in the field and particularly when experimenting and cutting stuff that offers plenty of resistance.

All said the Waterway as is, is certainly a great, practical and compact knife and the thinner scales with the texturing work exceptionally well for its intended use with wet and often slimy hands. However, I feel the scales as are don’t lend themselves too well for prolonged use, say like putting points on hardwood sticks, but then the knife was never intended as a Bushcrafter anyhow. :rolleyes:

In summary, I feel the overall package of the Waterway with the same contoured scales and the G10 stock perhaps 1/8” thicker per side for a more hand filling grip minus the texturing would make for a practical and reasonably priced platform that could bring a multitude of different blade steels to the market something akin to the Mule Team project. And again, just this one layman’s thoughts. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin