Rusty Waterway - Your Thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like a Tool Steel version of the Waterway?

CPM M4 - Jade G10 Scales
6%
CPM 3V - Red G10 Scales
3%
CPM 4V - Dark Green G10 Scales
11%
CPM REX 45 - Burnt Orange Scales
17%
CPM CRU-WEAR - Powder Blue Scales
12%
Negative
51%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 65

Albatross

Re: Rusty Waterway - Your Thoughts

Post by Albatross »

I like the idea. The blade and handle shape, with a tool steel, would work well in more demanding situations. Tougher steel, with better abrasion resistance, would make for a very versatile tool. I've never had an issue with tool steels rusting on me, so I say bring it on, let's see some Waterway sprints/exclusives! Despite my normal dislike of the tougher steels used in folders, they're perfect for a knife like the Waterway. 3V, 4V, and Cruwear would be the best options for a fixed blade, since the desired properties of those steels can be fully realized in a knife with no moving parts.

I forget who, but someone suggested "Desertway" a few months back, for this knife in a non-stainless. A theme for the Desertway handle scales would be cool. Snake skin pattern(FRN or G10), desert tan G10, desert ironwood, etc. A different scale and steel combo for each of the Desertway series.

I'll buy one of each.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am
You could call it the Rustaway
You’re a bloody shocker Pat! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Wateraway! ;) I like this game.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

It seems like we’re neck to neck so far with the Rusty Gang ahead by a nose. :cool:

Anyhow, all the Golden folding models that got an M4 blade and Jade G10 scales sold out quick smart. A fixed blade Waterway renamed “Terraway” as in Terra Firma with the same combination at the current $130 price range seems a no brainer to me. :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:12 pm
It seems like we’re neck to neck so far with the Rusty Gang ahead by a nose. :cool:

Anyhow, all the Golden folding models that got an M4 blade and Jade G10 scales sold out quick smart. A fixed blade Waterway renamed “Terraway” as in Terra Firma with the same combination at the current $130 price range seems a no brainer to me. :)
Oooh...Terraway...nice one.
- Julia

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Cool thread Bloke. I have to admit I’m a little surprised there are so many negatives. I wonder if that is because people feel the design is a poor fit for a tool steel or if the name of the Waterway makes it seem like a weird idea. For me, a name is just a name. I felt from the very beginning that I would love to have a Cruwear version of the waterway for everything other than my on the water duties. I also think a well patina’d M4 and Jade version would be a beauty!

If the name bothered people you could always change it to something less salty. The Shore Leave, the Longshoreman, something like that. I dunno. I’d buy one :cool:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Probably not as as catchy as Pat’s Rustaway JP, but not too bad, ay? :p

In all seriousness though, we had a Mule Team project thing going for a while which seems to have come to an end and we’ve had debate on what we’d like to see in the way of a new line.

I can’t help but think a line of Whateverway knives coming out as regular small, but not too small batch sprints couldn’t possibly be too risky a venture for Spyderco.

I’m far from a genius and I’m a financial midget but again can’t help but think with tooling currently in place for an LC200N Waterway, complete with scales and sheath at $130 representing better value than the bare LC200N Mule at $70 or whatever they costs.

Just my $AU0.02 worth. :) :o
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:15 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Probably not as as catchy as Pat’s Rustaway JP, but not too bad, ay? :p

In all seriousness though, we had a Mule Team project thing going for a while which seems to have come to an end and we’ve had debate on what we’d like to see in the way of a new line.

I can’t help but think a line of Whateverway knives coming out as regular small, but not too small batch sprints couldn’t possibly be too risky a venture for Spyderco.

I’m far from a genius and I’m a financial midget but again can’t help but think with tooling currently in place for an LC200N Waterway, complete with scales and sheath at $130 representing better value than the bare LC200N Mule at $70 or whatever they costs.

Just my $AU0.02 worth. :) :o
I've been pretty bummed that I missed the Mule Team days, so I'd love to see something like that in a simple but elegant fixed blade design like the Waterway. Something like that in the South Fork would make me happy, too.
- Julia

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don’t understand the draw for tool steels anymore. lc200n holds an edge like s30v/xhp, takes an edge like aus8, and is basically completely rustproof. what more could you want?!

actually, i understand tool steels on cheap outdoors fixed blades, but i’m not spending $200 on a knife that will rust if i take it outside. i'm happy to leave the carbon steel wilderness cutting to a $15 mora. dang... i sort of just lied because i have an esee jg5, but that’s probably the top limit for a camp chore knife that will rust easily for me.

anyway, i used my native salt last time i was camping and it was perfectly fine as a camp knife and i was able to swim in the ocean with it as well.

just make everything lc200n.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What if you made a version for use in the jungle and called it "A-wimoweh"'?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:32 am
What if you made a version for use in the jungle and called it "A-wimoweh"'?
:D :D :D
- Julia

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:48 pm
i don’t understand the draw for tool steels anymore. lc200n holds an edge like s30v/xhp, takes an edge like aus8, and is basically completely ustproof. what more could you want?!

actually, i understand tool steels on cheap outdoors fixed blades, but i’m not spending $200 on a
knife that will rust if i take it outside. i'm happy to leave the carbon steel wilderness cutting to a $15 mora. dang... i sort of just lied because i have an esee jg5, but that’s probably the top limit for a camp chore knife that will rust easily for me.

anyway, i used my native salt last time i was camping and it was perfectly fine as a camp knife and i was able to swim in the ocean with it as well.

just make everything lc200n.
K390/A11 are miles above s30v/xhp, in my experience s30v is significantly above xhp, not sure why you grouped them. Maxamet takes an edge equal to any steel and keeps it much longer than anything you mention.

For harder use, the less cr content, the better, down to about 5%, imo.
All my so-called rusty steels are perfectly fine during 2 week camp trips. I swam in the ocean half a day with my m4 native5, a minute of cleanup and you never have known it happened.

A lot of people refer to just "tool steel", when there's a distinct difference in types (sigh).

If everything was lc200n from here on, I'd probably stick with what I have and feel fortunate.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The new Terraway.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:44 pm
Cool thread Bloke. I have to admit I’m a little surprised there are so many negatives. I wonder if that is because people feel the design is a poor fit for a tool steel or if the name of the Waterway makes it seem like a weird idea. For me, a name is just a name. I felt from the very beginning that I would love to have a Cruwear version of the waterway for everything other than my on the water duties. I also think a well patina’d M4 and Jade version would be a beauty!

If the name bothered people you could always change it to something less salty. The Shore Leave, the Longshoreman, something like that. I dunno. I’d buy one :cool:
Thanks Lance. :)

I’m quite surprised myself as I feel the Waterway is a very practical design to say the very least.

Nothing to really add that you haven’t noted above mate, other than to say, it would be a shame if the knife were to be pigeon holed solely as a knife for use in and around water because of a silly bloody name.

Glad you like the idea of an M4, Jade scaled version. :cool:

What I’d personally like to see is an “Aficionado” version with 2mm - 2.5mm blade stock and nothing over about 0.008” BTE of all the steels mentioned above and more. ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:32 pm

The new Terraway.
Nice patina Doc! Ah, hahaha! :)

Couple of minutes and a bit of Flitz or Autosol, maybe a few strokes on a SharpMaker ... like the day it was made. :cool:
standy99

Post by standy99 »

How about the Freshwaterway ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I think this is an excellent general use design that would work great for non-salt purposes with other steels. I think all the negativity has more to do with the THREAD's title, not the [only] the name of the knife. Ain't no one here who wants a rusty knife :) That was a reaction-leading title! If it had been called the dryland-way...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:42 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks Lance. :)

I’m quite surprised myself as I feel the Waterway is a very practical design to say the very least.

Nothing to really add that you haven’t noted above mate, other than to say, it would be a shame if the knife were to be pigeon holed solely as a knife for use in and around water because of a silly bloody name.

Glad you like the idea of an M4, Jade scaled version. :cool:

What I’d personally like to see is an “Aficionado” version with 2mm - 2.5mm blade stock and nothing over about 0.008” BTE of all the steels mentioned above and more. ;)
I just think the knife is very practical the way it is. Adding a tool steel would lessen that a little. It would still be a great knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
foofie

Post by foofie »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:42 am

I love this idea. Flash batch aficionado version. Thin grind with a steel that takes high edge angles. Call it the cutaway :D :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

dogrunner wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:20 am
I think this is an excellent general use design that would work great for non-salt purposes with other steels. I think all the negativity has more to do with the THREAD's title, not the [only] the name of the knife. Ain't no one here who wants a rusty knife :) That was a reaction-leading title! If it had been called the dryland-way...
Glad you you agree on the knife’s versatility, runner. :)

I put a little thought into the Thread’s Title, maybe not enough. I just figured it would get down to stainless versus non stainless at some stage and figured it was best addressed right from the very start. ;)