A resurrected lower cost One-Eyed Jack, please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

A resurrected lower cost One-Eyed Jack, please

Post by MichaelScott »

Thinking about my great fondness for pocket-size knives, like my slip joints and my soon to arrive Rhino, I realized that there is one other Spyderco that is one of the best medium sized knives I have ever had: the One-Eyed Jack.

Likely one reason that is is discontinued related mostly to its price, which is very reasonable for what you get. If it were made without the inlaid G10 and the file work I think it could have been much lower priced and hence in the hands of more people who would have realized what a great A.T. Bar design feels like. Superb yet subtle.

I would press Sal and Eric to consider a simpler and less costly version. Keep the ivory G10. Classic.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Larry_Mott

Re: A resurrected lower cost One-Eyed Jack, please

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd buy one for sure!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Would getting rid of the inlays alone make it a better seller? - the file work kinda help makes it a truer barr knife
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:00 am
Would getting rid of the inlays alone make it a better seller? - the file work kinda help makes it a truer barr knife
I kind of agree with this. The extra finish work and details on the One Eyed Jack are partly what make it such an incredible knife to me. The fit and finish is impeccable. Without all of that, The OEJ seems kind of plain and might have some tough competition in the market.
-Nick :bug-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:00 am
From the responses here, I would say that the inlays generally mitigated against the knife. For me, they had personal significance so I was fine. Eventually I had to sell it but life happens. I agree that the file work was extraordinary for a production folder and gave it loads of character. I don’t know how much that added to the cost.

However, having and using the knife as a basic frequently carried pocket knife I came to really appreciate it as an outstanding user knife. Barr’s design is so subtle that it cannot be understood until one has it in hand, carries it frequently and puts it to use. I think it is extraordinarily fine. That is why I would like to see one in a price range of, say the Ikuchi or Para Military 2 for example. If more people had one I think it’s reputation would take off.

I am biased, for certain, but aren’t we all?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the knife just fine...awesome workmanship. If they made a lower cost version I’d say just get rid of the file work, which is expensive, and add a backlock. The knife is overall a grown up Manbug.

I’m glad my wife got one for me. I put it up.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PStone

Post by PStone »

I own a One Eyed Jack and love it. Gets carried once or twice a month on special days. The inlays, polished contoured scales, and firework are what drew me to the knife. I love all of it. It’s like I own a custom. Seriously. This and my Case/Bose Yukon are basically customs to me. But I do strongly agree with you@MichaelScott. I would love to see a more utilitarian version offered, and would definitely purchase one. I think there are many others who would too. Look how fast they flew off the shelves once they hit the disco’d list and prices dropped. I think Spyderco has already done this sort of thing before with Peter Carey’s Rubicon and the Rubicon 2. So I could totally see this happening. I would like to see it with flat cf laminate scales, full, non nested liners, and any steel at all. Something somewhat stainless. Preferably vg10 or s30v.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I dunno, isn't the whole point of this model to be a fancy gents folder with some flare? I could see them doing some handle pattern variations. And I can see removing the filework to bring the cost down a bit. But it's not supposed to be a cheap knife.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The features that make it expensive are not those that make it a superb knife. Those can be retained for people focused on design and utility.

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They've done it before with the squarehead ti and Squarehead Lightweight also. I would be down for an economy version of the one eyed jack.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes! As would many I suspect. I didn’t know what a great knife it is until I got one. Keep the Barr design, and the bolsters. I love the ivory G10 too. I removed the clip from mine, added a simple fob and pocket carried it. The feel is so much better without the clip.

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I think a slipjoint version would be nice as well
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Straight G10

Bolster/Exotic wood
-Nick :bug-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I agree, Spydergirl. Good thought!

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:04 pm
I like the knife just fine...awesome workmanship. If they made a lower cost version I’d say just get rid of the file work, which is expensive, and add a BACKLOCK. The knife is overall a grown up Manbug.

THIS!

If it had a backlock I would have bought one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:31 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I like the knife just fine...awesome workmanship. If they made a lower cost version I’d say just get rid of the file work, which is expensive, and add a BACKLOCK. The knife is overall a grown up Manbug.

THIS!

That’s the one thing missing from an otherwise perfect knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:24 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:31 am
Doc Dan wrote:

THIS!

That’s the one thing missing from an otherwise perfect knife.
It would certainly compete with my Baby Horn. Not an easy task.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

I'm looking for a more "classy style" folder for discreet carry to alternate with my Case Mini-Trappers. I have looked at the OEJ a few times and if not for the rather premium price, would have jumped on it. However, it does seem to be calling me (also a tie between that and the Kiwi or the Baby Jess), all of which is still available from our large online West Coast dealer from B.C.
I will remove the clips as I have a couple of homemade leather pocket slips to put the knife in.

Hmm, I just may have to break down and add another Spyderco...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

colin.p wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:49 am
I'm looking for a more "classy style" folder for discreet carry to alternate with my Case Mini-Trappers. I have looked at the OEJ a few times and if not for the rather premium price, would have jumped on it. However, it does seem to be calling me (also a tie between that and the Kiwi or the Baby Jess), all of which is still available from our large online West Coast dealer from B.C.
I will remove the clips as I have a couple of homemade leather pocket slips to put the knife in.

Hmm, I just may have to break down and add another Spyderco...
I had both the Baby Horn and Kiwi. The Kiwi was awesome, but I ended up selling it in favor of the BH.

The Baby Horn's blade was larger and more useful for the same size package. The clip was taken off immediately.

-Thomas Jefferson
timlara

Post by timlara »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:27 pm
Yes! As would many I suspect. I didn’t know what a great knife it is until I got one. Keep the Barr design, and the bolsters. I love the ivory G10 too. I removed the clip from mine, added a simple fob and pocket carried it. The feel is so much better without the clip.
I agree. I would be interested in a "plain" version as I really like the size and shape of the design, but don't care for the inlays since I'm not into card games at all so for me it would just be kind of an awkward conversation piece to have to explain why my knife has hearts and spades on it every time someone saw me use it. (I'm sort of a lurker in real life too, so I tend to avoid stop-and-chats with people as much as possible. ;) )

The filework is very cool, but I could do without it if it lowered the cost significantly. I think it would look nice in a dark colored polished G10.
Tim