Manix v Manix XL v PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daniel Smit

Manix v Manix XL v PM2

Post by Daniel Smit »

Good day all,

I am new to this forum and would like some free advice. I have collected knives fot some time, but mostly what you would consider knives in the budget range. Largely due to the fact that I live in South Africa where the exchange rate and import tax causes a budget knife to cost the same as a higher end knife in the US.
I have a variety of knives, but my Endura 4 FFG seems to make its way back into my pocket even shortly after purchasing other new knives. Same goes for my tenacious, but to a lesser extent.
I want to get a bit of an upgrade and was looking at either the Manix 2 XL, Manix2 or PM2. (That is in order of my current preference before your advice).

Which would you recommend and why. (Asking for a reason was probably not necessary as I am sure I will get many.)

It seems the PM2 is the more popular option, but esthetically I am drawn to the Manix 2. I like a bit bigger knives (not cold steel big), hence my choice of the endura over the delica, but I have seen some complaints about the Manix 2 XL on you tube re fit and finish and the fact that the stop pin is a pin and not a screw like with the ordinary manix 2.

Hope to get as much as possible info.

Daniel
TomAiello

Re: Manix v Manix XL v PM2

Post by TomAiello »

I love the Manix 2.

Do you like the 50/50 choil? Your Endure doesn't have it, and all the knives you are considering do have it. I'm just wondering if the ergonomics work better for you one way or the other.

One advantage of the Manix 2 in your situation is that you could get it in FRCP, and either go with the BD1n version (easier on the budget) or something higher end like s110v or Maxamet without getting too over the top on pricing.

Personally, my favorite Manix 2 is the lightweight Maxamet, but I'm not sure what your preferences are.

Just throwing this out there, but if you like the back lock on the Endura, have you looked at the Police 4? In K390, that knife is a workhorse, but it has a slim pocket profile (for it's size) and feels a lot "classier" than the Endura to me.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I once thought an Endura was a lesser knife than my Manix2s and PM2s. Don’t get the latter because of this erroneous thinking. Get both because you just want the variety.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Daniel!

Never having owned a Manix (XL), or a PM2, I can't offer much in the way of experience, but another factor to consider maybe would be lock type. Do you have any strong preferences? The CBBL lock on the Manixes - unlike the PM2's compression lock - have a close bias similar to (although slightly weaker than) the backlock, so maybe that would be a better fit for you, since you already really like the Endura.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I greatly prefer the Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL to the PM2. The PM2 does not fit my large hands and I prefer the lock on the M2 over that of the PM2.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anycal

Post by anycal »

This is an exercise I went through as I was trying to figure out what should be my first Spyderco few years ago. Like you, my top two choices were the PM2 and the Manix 2. If you don't have a way of handling each one of them before you buy, all you have to go on is what you read, what you see (youtube), and what appeals to you.

I spent a lot of time debating which to get, lot of time spent reading and watching. Ultimately, the PM2 appealed to me more solely based on looks. So that is the one I went with. Still my favorite to this day. I eventually got the Manix 2, but it never displaced my PM2. Few reasons, but none that would make me regret getting the Manix 2. They are both great knives.

If the Manix 2 appeals to you more, go for it.

I am sure advice will start flowing. But know, although there are those who like both of these Spyderco models (me included), I feel there are few more who like one and don't care for the other. So take it for what it is.
Peter
Daniel Smit

Post by Daniel Smit »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:33 am
I love the Manix 2.

Do you like the 50/50 choil? Your Endure doesn't have it, and all the knives you are considering do have it. I'm just wondering if the ergonomics work better for you one way or the other.

One advantage of the Manix 2 in your situation is that you could get it in FRCP, and either go with the BD1n version (easier on the budget) or something higher end like s110v or Maxamet without getting too over the top on pricing.

Personally, my favorite Manix 2 is the lightweight Maxamet, but I'm not sure what your preferences are.

Just throwing this out there, but if you like the back lock on the Endura, have you looked at the Police 4? In K390, that knife is a workhorse, but it has a slim pocket profile (for it's size) and feels a lot "classier" than the Endura to me.
Tom,
Interesting food for thought. I haven't considered the fact that all 3 have choils. I was rather looking at them due to the quicker opening and closing. Come to think of it, I have a Honey Badger knife with a choil and I really like that feature, so maybe I was subconsciously drawn to those three options. The availability here is really limited when it comes to blade steel. So I would probably get one in S30v. Would you recommend dlc coating or no dlc?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

The Manix 2 is my favorite knife, and having only held a PM2 it just didn't appeal to me as much as the Manix. The handle on the PM2 has always looked bulky to me compared to the Manix 2. I also do appreciate the closing bias of the Manix' CBBL lock. That being said, the PM2 has a giant following, so all those people can't be wrong. I'd say try to find a way to hold both. As TomAiello said, the benefit of the Manix 2 is that you can get lightweight models in a slew of steel choices, either BD1N to save a good amount of money over a (S30V) PM2, CPM S110V which is a big upgrade over even S30Vs edge holding and still a few bucks cheaper than the PM2 or an insane steel like Maxamet, albeit a good bit more expensive than a PM2.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Daniel Smit

Post by Daniel Smit »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:44 am
I once thought an Endura was a lesser knife than a Manix2 or PM2. Don’t get the latter because of this erroneous thinking. Get both because you just want the variety.
I've got to say I love this line of thinking. Who am I kidding I will probably get both eventually. This knife hobby must have some classification as an addiction in Psychology circles.
Daniel Smit

Post by Daniel Smit »

Ez556, it is interesting that so many people consider weight. Maybe that is why I like the endura without even thinking about it. I never really consider weight unless it is more than 6 ounce. My endura is one of my lightest knives and now I'm wandering if weight isn't an issue to me after all.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I sold my PM2 (and Shaman) and kept my Manix (backlock). I never got on with the cbbl, however.

You really need to handle them to decide.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Put me in the Manix 2 camp as well. I understand knives are a bit more pricey for you based on location, but if it's possible...maybe get one of each in the standard models. That's really the only way you'll be able to decide. They are very different, yet similar in size. I enjoy my PM2's whenever I used them, but usually tend to favor one of my Manix's when time comes to decide for the day.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I also prefer the Manix 2. I like the ergos better, I think it carries better, and it's slightly shorter all around, which works for me. The cbbl is a bit awkward for me to operate on the less grippy lightweight version (I find the frcp to be kinda slick, so it's a little harder to get a good grip on the lock with my smaller hands), but with textured g10 or micarta scales I quite like it. With that said, I do own one PM2, and it's also a very nice knife, and hugely popular. But I find myself reaching for one of my manix 2's first. And if you prefer backlocks, a few places still have the discontinued backlock manix 2's, but be advised that its blade stock is a bit thicker and it's thicker in the scales that the regular g10 manix 2.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Daniel Smit wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:19 am
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:33 am
Tom,
Interesting food for thought. I haven't considered the fact that all 3 have choils. I was rather looking at them due to the quicker opening and closing. Come to think of it, I have a Honey Badger knife with a choil and I really like that feature, so maybe I was subconsciously drawn to those three options. The availability here is really limited when it comes to blade steel. So I would probably get one in S30v. Would you recommend dlc coating or no dlc?
If you´re really used to your Endura backlock, you won´t be any quicker opening and closing knives with different locks imho.

/ I personally would take the Endura over all three knives you listed. BUT: I came to the point that the Endura is one of my absolute favorite folders ever just because I tried other designs, locks and so on.

So while I, had I only one Endura, sure would buy another one in a different steel (HAP 40... :rolleyes: ) and not a different knife, I think for you it´s a great idea to try other designs so you can find out what you like best when it comes to Spydies.

Out of the three you listed, I would get the Manix XL over Manix 2 and PM2

Why?

- Just for me personally, the Manix 2 offers to little actual cutting edge generally and especially for the rather big overall package
- The PM 2 has great ergos for me, but I like both CBBL (Manix and Manix XL) and backlock over the comp. lock. Furthermore, I am always a bit worried about the rather fragile looking tip of the PM 2
- The Manix XL has a good amount of cutting edge plus most likely the very good ergos of the Manix 2 (don´t know from experience, had/have a Manix 2 LW and a PM2, but never a Manix XL) - it´s just rather heavy, a LW version (like on the Manix 2) would be great
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Manix LW for me. A Cruwear version and a Salt version would be perfect. Especially with a CQI update to screw construction. My BD-1 Manix LW has been splitting pocket time with my Cruwear Delica lately.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd get a Caribbean over any of them.

Beyond that the ergonomics of the Manix 2 suit me the most. The XL is ok but I don't like the blade shape.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

The XL definitely IMO.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Can’t comment on the Manix thought it tempts me. I have a PM2 (my first recent Spyderco) and a Pacific Salt (based on the Endura 3). The PM2 compression lock makes opening and closing significantly easier than the back lock. My experience anyway. BUT, it is definitely right handed only. I can flick open my Salt and close one-handed but it is not as slick as the PM2.

The Endura is legendary for good reason. The PM2 and Manix 2 will have slightly shorter blades. I very much like the PM2 with its liners, stout pointed blade and in my knife the S35VN steel. The handle fits my hand well, too. It does take up more pocket room than the longer Endura.

As a knife I don’t think you can go wrong with the PM2 as long as you are OK with the right hand only aspect of the compression lock. It actually gave me greater appreciation for the simplicity and inherently ambidextrous back lock. I’m sure either Manix is superb as well and comes down to how big and beefy blade you want and which lock type.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Daniel Smit wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:08 am
Good day all,

I am new to this forum and would like some free advice. I have collected knives fot some time, but mostly what you would consider knives in the budget range. Largely due to the fact that I live in South Africa where the exchange rate and import tax causes a budget knife to cost the same as a higher end knife in the US.
I have a variety of knives, but my Endura 4 FFG seems to make its way back into my pocket even shortly after purchasing other new knives. Same goes for my tenacious, but to a lesser extent.
I want to get a bit of an upgrade and was looking at either the Manix 2 XL, Manix2 or PM2. (That is in order of my current preference before your advice).

Which would you recommend and why. (Asking for a reason was probably not necessary as I am sure I will get many.)

It seems the PM2 is the more popular option, but esthetically I am drawn to the Manix 2. I like a bit bigger knives (not cold steel big), hence my choice of the endura over the delica, but I have seen some complaints about the Manix 2 XL on you tube re fit and finish and the fact that the stop pin is a pin and not a screw like with the ordinary manix 2.

Hope to get as much as possible info.

Daniel
Listen to Evil D

The Caribbean is the knife you need. It's the size of the PM2 with the edge specs of a standard Military.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Daniel Smit wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:19 am
So I would probably get one in S30v. Would you recommend dlc coating or no dlc?
I prefer uncoated stainless. I only go for DLC on my non-stainless knives.

Don't discount BD1n, if you're willing to go lightweight. With the 'n' upgrade, that knife packs a lot of value. The s110v lightweight is also a heck of a value if you want to step up to that steel.