Manix v Manix XL v PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cbrstar

Re: Manix v Manix XL v PM2

Post by cbrstar »

As you can see I have all 3. (Plus the Manix LW's) The question is how are you planning on using the knife?

The Manix 2 XL is a beast of a knife and feels extremely sturdy. But the downside is that it's extremely wide and takes up a lot of pocket room. If you put it in your front pocket you wont be able to slide your hand past it easily.

PM2 is my fav of the bunch. You will find that it has a much lighter action compared to the Manix due to the compression lock. So if you like to open and close a knife with almost zero effort this is the best choice. It's also fits in the pocket a little nicer.

Manix 2. The ball lock is super strong and it makes the knife just feel solid. The ergo's are awesome as well so if you are cutting stuff all day this is the perfect knife for you. The action isn't as easy to close as other knives, but once the lock breaks in it does get better. Personally I don't like the jimping on the handle and wish Spyderco would do away with it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:02 pm
Daniel Smit wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:08 am
Listen to Evil D

The Caribbean is the knife you need. It's the size of the PM2 with the edge specs of a standard Military.
I agree. Though I personally clearly prefer a backlock, I think you really should try at (at least) one point Spydercos own compression lock (which is an ingenious design, no doubt) to find out what YOU like best. And the Caribbean probably is the comp lock knife I'd get first.
Only thing: It has no choil (but a really long edge instead, which I personally like), so if you also want to experience a typical Spyderco finger choil, this is not the knife for that.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i went through the same thing between the manix 2 and manix xl. i went with a manix 2 lw because i was able to pick up an exclusive with xhp steel. as soon as i stared carrying it, i realized right away that it is basically the perfect knife for me. after having a chance to later handle and carry the xl, the fact that i made the right choice was confirmed. i still like the xl, but i love the manix 2 lw. i would like to get another in s30v and dlc to have a beefier version, but i really don’t need it.

also, i had the chance to visit the spyderco factory store in colorado and i picked up every knife that interested me in that store. none of them came close to kicking the manix out of my pocket.

i do sometimes carry the yojimbo instead, but i don’t like it more; it’s just such a cool knife that i can’t help but carry it. other than that, i sometimes carry the native salt instead for the rust resistance and/or smaller size without sacrificing ergonomics.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Daniel Smit wrote:
Good day all,...
Now that this thread is shifting towards recommending other knives than the ones you´ve listed anyway, the Shaman would be another suggestion:

As I said in a previous post, it would give you the opportunity to try out two typical "Spyderco-features" the finger choil and their compression lock, and it´s the folder with maybe the best ergos (for my hands) I ever held.

Sure it is quite heavy and also has a rather short actual edge compared to the closed length(but that´s just always the case when you want a genereous choil) , but it carries smaller than it looks imho (to be clear: I don´t have one, but could handle and try it twice).

The blade is rather thick, but due to its height still a good slicer.

One thing though: It is quite pricey, though worth every cent imho.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Most was covered already, but I want to say this: Manix XL is larger than it first looks, and heavier. So if you need a folding outdoors knife, not an EDC, that's your choice. If not go for the normal Manix 2 or even the lightweight model (maxamet is the king of edge retention out of all the offerings by far, but it needs to be kept oiled). Paramilitary 2 is great also, the locking is superior imho and easier to get it open-closed faster (more comfortable?) than the ball bearing lock, but the handle isn't as form-fitting into your hands as the Manix 2. Is there any way to find someone that owns these in your parts? Or a physical store that has them? I think the moment you hold them in your hands you'll instantly know what you prefer.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manix XL is the best of the three.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

cbrstar wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:42 pm
The action isn't as easy to close as other knives, but once the lock breaks in it does get better. Personally I don't like the jimping on the handle and wish Spyderco would do away with it.
That's just a practice issue, I think.

I EDC the Manix a lot more than the PM2 and I find the CBBL easier to close than the Comp Lock. I think it's mostly just about what you are used to.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Owning all 3 and in consideration of what you have shared and how the Endura keeps finding it’s way into your pocket I will give you one recommendation from the 3 you have written about and one you have not.

Get the Manix XL in DLC if you can it is the correct size for a Manix in my opinion the regular Manix2 is well... tiny and does not fulfill the design the way the XL does.

The PM2 is not likely to please you since the larger Endura does.

Now here is something else to consider one of the reasons you probably like the Endura is the thin blade stock which makes it an incredible slicer.

Taking this into consideration and the stability of the back lock I have to reccomend above all others the Native Chief it ticks all your likes you are looking at in other models.

Thin great slicer
Long useful blade
Fantastic choil and ergonomics
Back lock

Just what may I ask is not to love about that knife ;)
ferider

Post by ferider »

Daniel Smit wrote:
I want to get a bit of an upgrade and was looking at either the Manix 2 XL, Manix2 or PM2. (That is in order of my current preference before your advice).
Good Day, Daniel. Your order of preference is correct. :)
Daniel Smit wrote:
I have seen some complaints about the Manix 2 XL on you tube re fit and finish and the fact that the stop pin is a pin and not a screw like with the ordinary manix 2.
Don't worry about it. Note the same nr. of screws on both knives.

Roland.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 am
Owning all 3 and in consideration of what you have shared and how the Endura keeps finding it’s way into your pocket I will give you one recommendation from the 3 you have written about and one you have not.

Get the Manix XL in DLC if you can it is the correct size for a Manix in my opinion the regular Manix2 is well... tiny and does not fulfill the design the way the XL does.

Now here is something else to consider one of the reasons you probably like the Endura is the thin blade stock which makes it an incredible slicer.

Taking this into consideration and the stability of the back lock I have to reccomend above all others the Native Chief it ticks all your likes you are looking at in other models.

Thin great slicer
Long useful blade
Back lock

That's a great suggestion generally, and at the point where I am now it would be perfect for me...

But my thought-process was like: If the op is new to Spyderco, resp. only has an Endura, he really should try and experience the comp. lock and CBBL at one point, so he can compare to the backlock.

And I say this despite clearly preferring the backlock myself, at least over the comp.lock.
But I just came to this point, BECAUSE I did try all of the lock types, and can't deny the fact that many experienced knife users love the comp.lock (and the CBBL).
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Daniel Smit wrote:
Good day all,.....
Daniel, I sure hope you'll report back which knife you got and how you like it... it's really interesting to read about fresh impressions of people rather new to Spyderco... happens very rarely on this forum, cause most members are long time Spydie-heads and have already developed a lot of personal likes, dislikes, biases, whatever (and I myself am sure one of those members! ;) )
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:44 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 am

Thin great slicer
Long useful blade
Back lock

That's a great suggestion generally, and at the point where I am now it would be perfect for me...

But my thought-process was like: If the op is new to Spyderco, resp. only has an Endura, he really should try and experience the comp. lock and CBBL at one point, so he can compare to the backlock.

And I say this despite clearly preferring the backlock myself, at least over the comp.lock.
But I just came to this point, BECAUSE I did try all of the lock types, and can't deny the fact that many experienced knife users love the comp.lock (and the CBBL).
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly but it may be a bit cost prohibitive as the OP has explained due to location etc...

Once upon a yesteryear I based my Spyderco purchases on weather they had a comp lock or not.

Over time the back-lock has become my preferred lock as well for many reasons.