oH tHe TiP iS ToO FrAGilE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: oH tHe TiP iS ToO FrAGilE

Post by Wartstein »

For me the slightly dropped Endura-style tip (in ffg!!) always was pointy enough for any task I do, including removing splinters or ticks from the skin.
Plus it just inspires more confidence and makes me use my knife more casual / unworried than for example a PM2 - again, without having any detriment in my use.
Of course I totally believe that some of you benefit from an even pointier tip, but I wonder in what tasks that could be.

And there ARE situations when I really want a sturdy tip and go for my sabre grind Delica for example with its very solid tip: Whenever there is just not the time to be carefull and you WILL hit metal and other hard materials.
Once I did a post in the "what did you use your Spyderco for last" - thread, describing how I use my comboedge, sabregrind Delica to cut open loads a supply helicopter brings. The chopper flies multiple times and you have to cut open and remove the loads it brings really fast before it returns. Much of the stuff is hard (like metal beer barrels), and you WILL hit that stuff with the tip, cause you´re just in such a hurry. Really would not like to have a PM2 in such a situation (not even a ffg Endura to be honest).

/ One thing I personally do not really like by concept: Generally rather thick blade stock, but fragile tip (PM 2, Millie...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think saying a pocket knife’s tip is too fine is like saying the sky’s too blue. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:18 am
I think saying a pocket knife’s tip is too fine is like saying the sky’s too blue. ;)
:p Really depends on the scenario one uses it in: See my post above!
Another example coming from "my real world": Rock climbing. When you do some more or less emergency cutting or really any cutting, where you cling with one hand to a hold, in a maybe akward body position, have to quickly cut something against rock, or will most likely hit rock: Not the PM2 - tip realm imho... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:27 am
Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:18 am
:p Really depends on the scenario one uses it in: See my post above!
Another example coming from "my real world": Rock climbing. When you do some more or less emergency cutting or really any cutting, where you cling with one hand to a hold, in a maybe akward body position, have to quickly cut something against rock, or will most likely hit rock: Not the PM2 - tip realm imho... ;)
Hi Gernot, I certainly agree both fine and not so fine tips have their place and I definitely understand your, brother Pelagic’s and others needs. I just feel a pocket knife carried by the average person cutting the mundane like myself, a fine tip has more advantages than disadvantages.

For example a while back I picked up a fair sized hardwood splinter off a pallet which I fairly easily cut/picked out with a Military’s fine sharp tip. Maybe something I couldn’t have done as easily with a more robust tip. :)
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

TBH.. in '97 or '98 I was carrying a Spyderco that could punch a hole in a car door.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

As a sloppy sharpener, I have no idea how to keep tops pointy - any tips? I only use the flats on the sharpmaker, but having a rough time getting the tip done. Same with freehanding, I end up over compensating for the curve and rounding the tip

When big brown bear stabbed the steel and other stuff with the k390 police, I was impressed
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

What is this nonsense?
James Y

Post by James Y »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:18 am
As a sloppy sharpener, I have no idea how to keep tops pointy - any tips? I only use the flats on the sharpmaker, but having a rough time getting the tip done. Same with freehanding, I end up over compensating for the curve and rounding the tip

When big brown bear stabbed the steel and other stuff with the k390 police, I was impressed
When sharpening, including with the Sharpmaker, don’t run the tip off the rod. End the stroke with the tip in the middle of the flat. Running the tip off the rod can round off the tip.

Jim
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

There is most certainly a need for rounded knives for EMT's, divers, local knife laws, etc. and it definitely suits certain models.
But a knife being pointy has never been a reason for me to turn down any specific model; regardless of blade stock thickness.
I like knives with a pronounced tip and seeing how I don't expect my knife to magically turn into a crowbar, I've never had any issues with them.
There's all shapes and sizes in the line-up, so I choose and use them accordingly.

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 am
GarageBoy wrote:

When sharpening, including with the Sharpmaker, don’t run the tip off the rod. End the stroke with the tip in the middle of the flat. Running the tip off the rod can round off the tip.

Jim
I'm having a different problem, I can't seem to get the tip bevel to contact the stone - do I drop my wrist more, or do I move my wrist more laterally to follow the curve?
James Y

Post by James Y »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:53 pm
James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 am
GarageBoy wrote:

Jim
I'm having a different problem, I can't seem to get the tip bevel to contact the stone - do I drop my wrist more, or do I move my wrist more laterally to follow the curve?
The way I do it is to allow it to gently follow the curve, even if it means pulling my elbow back a little when doing the curve. I don’t bend or tilt my wrist much if at all. If you end the stroke with the tip in the middle of the surface, you should be able to feel the edge bevel towards the tip making contact. Also, you don’t need to use much pressure. Slow and easy, IMO.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:53 pm
Hey Boy, I had the same problem when I first got my SharpMaker. :rolleyes:

The “Secret” is: The edge of the blade needs to be tangent to the stone in order to be ground. That basically means you need to rotate the blade through the vertical plane to ensure belly and tip are ground as evenly as the heel of the blade.

So, you’ll need to lift the handle to engage the belly and particularly the tip, and depending on the blade shape sometimes you may need to finish the stroke with the knife almost vertical.

Hope this helps and I haven’t confused you. :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ Bloke’s got it. I sometimes hold the knife closer to vertical and just work on the tip to “catch up” with the work in the ear of the knife.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Thanks, I have to find a comfortable way to get the knife nearly vertical
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:24 am
Thanks, I have to find a comfortable way to get the knife nearly vertical
Use a lower surface to put the sharpmaker on. If the table is too high the range of motion is limited.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

"Problems" like determining the correct pointiness of knives are the reason we have the free market.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I dearly miss many of the older Spyderco models that had "pointy" blades. The JD Smith comes immediately to mind. I was carrying and using my old VG-10 version of my Spyderedged JD Smith the past 2 to 3 days and it's such a pleasure to use it. The first half inch of that blade is PE and the point is a "splinter picker" too. Now that clip point with the well defined point off that Dyad Jr. you just showed us is also one of my all time favorite designs.

The original "Worker" C-01 model had a nice well defined point on it too. Also the original Centofante C-50 was a really pointy model as well. If people are careful about using a pointy blade they won't have any problems with them.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

GarageBoy wrote:
Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:37 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 pm
When you guys say "(almost) vertical" may I ask what you mean by that? Is it that the edge/handle is perpendicular to the stone? I'm just trying to get an image of what's going on, because Garageboy's question is a good one and I've had to pay a lot more attention to my tips when sharpening, and not always succeeding in getting them as evenly sharp as the belly.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:24 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:37 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 pm
When you guys say "(almost) vertical" may I ask what you mean by that? Is it that the edge/handle is perpendicular to the stone? I'm just trying to get an image of what's going on, because Garageboy's question is a good one and I've had to pay a lot more attention to my tips when sharpening, and not always succeeding in getting them as evenly sharp as the belly.
Yes, you want the edge perpendicular to the stone. This is what it looks like at the beginning of my sharpmaker stroke:

And the end:

Versus how it'd look without angling the knife:

NOTE - THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO SPYDERCOS SERRATED KNIVES. On their serrated knives the serrations are all parallel to one another, so you sharpen those knives like a PE Wharncliffe. You DON'T tilt the knife to follow the curve of the blade.

It's also very important not to drag the tip off the rods. I recommend always using the flats if you can for this reason, it makes this easier.

For a damaged tip I often flip the blade upside down and grind the tip at an elevated angle. This might make the tip a little thicker, like a Delica 4 vs a 3, but it quickly restores the V shape to give it a point again.

If any of this is unclear I can make a video.
:unicorn
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:00 am
Thank you that did help Vivi.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara