Knives I wish I had bought two of

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Knives I wish I had bought two of

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:50 am
Hindsight is 2020. There are some knives but I wish I had bought two of when they were still in production. One is the Manix 2 back lock and the other is the urban light weight K390.

What knives do you regret not buying a second?

Backlock Manix is still available in a few places ... go for it !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ladybug hawkbill SE, cuz I lost it skiing like the second day I carried it. If I had bought two, then I wouldn't have to wait for another one to come in the mail. :D
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

No I'm not even going to limit my desired models at 2>> when it comes to the C-60 Ayoob, G-10 Harpy, C-57 Zowada, and the late 90s Stainless RESCUE model>> actually I wish I had at least 5 of each of those bad boys. Especially the G-10 Harpy and Stainless RESCUE because those are getting about as rare as an honest car salesman :eek: . Those are also my top candidates to all return in Supersteels :cool:
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

This is the one I'd most like to have another of.

vivi

Post by vivi »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:55 am

I remember wanting an AFCK really bad at one point. Then Police 3 photos came out and that was that.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:47 pm
I remember wanting an AFCK really bad at one point. Then Police 3 photos came out and that was that.
I'd go for a scaled down 3 inch police in k390 or rex45 right now.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I believe the Rookie is a small Police; Rookie Sprint with the K390 or HAP40 perhaps.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If I don´t get a second Pac Salt SE now, that MIGHT become a knife I should have bought two of... ;)

It´s depending on WHAT the Pac Salt 2 will look like exactly. If it isbasically like the current one, but just has an Endura 4 handle, that´s fine with me (though I also really like the E3 handle of the current version)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:45 am
I believe the Rookie is a small Police; Rookie Sprint with the K390 or HAP40 perhaps.
I believe you're right! Rookie in k390 it is then.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Doc Dan wrote:
Hindsight is 2020. There are some knives but I wish I had bought two of when they were still in production. One is the Manix 2 back lock and the other is the urban light weight K390.

I’m with ya there. Manix2 Backlock is probably my favorite Spydie....or at least **** close. Hated to see it go.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

BDNX wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am
Doc Dan wrote:

I’m with ya there. Manix2 Backlock is probably my favorite Spydie....or at least **** close. Hated to see it go.
Still available at 2 or more vendors NIB.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Two!!!?? No there are a couple of models that I like to use so much that I wish I would have got 4 of them. The C-60 Ayoob in SE is now getting to be a tough find. I only have one at this time due to trading and desperately selling a couple. But I wish I would have got 4 of those.

Also the original Spyderedged Dodo model>> the one "user" SE Dodo I had I just loved to use it. I now wish I would have been able to get 4 of them as well.

If I ever get fully healed from the medical co-pays that have been dogging me in the past year or so I would really like to get "Back Up Units" for some certain models. The JD Smith model is so sweet along with the C-60 Ayoob I wouldn't mind another 3 of them on top of what I already have. Yep those two models are that good :cool:
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Luckily I don’t have these regrets. I buy at least 3 of every knife I love.

I literally own 7 of the jade/M4 military.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Kahr Delica for sure and probably a Jester or three.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

BDNX wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

I still don’t understand why it is out of production. Uber strong lock, strong blade, strong scales, the ultimate hard use knife. I guess a lot of people are still misinformed about locks and others would rather play switchblade than use them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:47 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:55 am

Ah, the AFCK -- I thought I recognized it. My very first quality folder. Mine vanished for many many years, but it is back home now. It was in a pocket of a pack I had given to my son. However I am OK with having just the one. I am glad to have it back, but there are many Spydercos I prefer in this modern age.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree! For me, having so many had actually created a stress in deciding which one to carry, as ridiculous as that might sound. Thousands of dollars later, and I miss the days of not having to decide 😂
jdw wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 am
I have lost track of the number of knives I have purchased after getting one falling in love with it then purchasing a backup. Until..... the next interesting model of Spyderco comes out...

At some point after thousands of dollars gone I realized a couple of things.

1. Having so many Spyderco’s and keeping them in rotation for EDC means they will likely all outlive me unless I loose one.

2. What am I doing filling a good size safety deposit box with expensive knives here? For what purpose?

3. This left me with the only logical conclusion which was to sell the duplicates and also the ones I never carry.

4. Outcome no more trying to forecast the future, get a new knife and EDC it for two weeks and use nothing else if after two weeks it is still available go for another two weeks and then if it is still that good get a backup.

Only problem I see with this is the new lousy distribution model of limited production numbers and slow to none existent rereleases of even production models like the Smock and Spydiechef.

Which is okay because at some level that actually makes me feel better about not being party to the hurry up and buy environment Spyderco has created in 2019 with their new business model and that if their vendors.

Their business and collaborations are their business and I am glad it works for them if it does but no thanks, this fish has slipped the hook.

It’s what I call voting with my wallet in non participation.

So what is a person to do?

Well save your money and if it is really that great there is always the secondary market and no matter how much you may overpay for that one model you will not come close to the amount of money lost trying to forecast your future I wish I had two of these knives feelings.
Dang. I'm scared that makes sense to me.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:45 am
I don't even have one Rookie, but I've always loved that model and would definitely buy two! That's one Spyderco really ought to bring back!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am
BDNX wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Still available at 2 or more vendors NIB.
Darn enablers, ordered one with a golden stone.
Will see how we like this manix backlock.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Slysz Bowie. I don't carry mine as much as I used to when I knew I could buy another for less than $500 :/ I paid about $200 for mine BNIB before MAP, and before Nick Shabazz elevated it to grail status and then it was disco'd.