Is the Siren a Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Is the Siren a Salt?

Post by The Meat man »

Lance the more I see the more I want. :D Well done!

Absolutely stunning work by Chad, as always.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:17 pm
Why not grind and sharpen it all the way to the guard? There are a lot of cuts where it is useful to sort of wedge the item being cut between the guard and the end of the blade as you slice through it. This is one of the reasons I love the Tenacious and wish there were premium (Cru-Carta!) versions of the Tenacious/Resilience/Alcyone/Polestar, and even those I wish were sharpened all the way back into the liners.
My semi-educated guess is because that's the area of the kick, which keeps the rest of the blade from hitting the lock bar and back spacer when it's closed.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

More specifically. Given how large the forward finger guard is in relation to the pivot. You are going to need alot of ricasso (or kick) in order to catch the forefinger if using the standard one handed mid backlock close.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:27 pm
More specifically. Given how large the forward finger guard is in relation to the pivot. You are going to need alot of ricasso (or kick) in order to catch the forefinger if using the standard one handed mid backlock close.
... which I for example almost never use... ;)

Still, the Ricasso is a safety feature, no doubt.

And if it is meant to be like on the waterway, Lances intention was to create a spot where you can put your MIDDLE finger, while doing precise cuts with the index finger on the spine close to the tip (that's what he said in his waterway vid, might be true for the Siren too).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Will the Siren be Golden-made? If not, and more to the point, has Taichung incorporated Golden’s midlock magic?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 pm
Will the Siren be Golden-made? If not, and more to the point, has Taichung incorporated Golden’s midlock magic?

I'm pretty sure the Reveal said it's made in Golden.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:27 pm
Mainly this. ^
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:36 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm pretty sure the Reveal said it's made in Golden.
Thanks, Connor.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

This is bigger then I though.....which is a good fact. I think I am going to buy it when it comes.

Lance, another awesome clean design. Hats off to you, Chad Kelly and Spyderco!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Guess this is the thread for discussing the Siren itself (and not when it will be released):

Said it kind of before, but still just a reply to those who say the hand will be a bit far away from the edge when the Siren is held on the actual handle (due to wide guard and Ricasso), and that there would be no choil to choke up on and get closer to the edge:

Looking at the Siren I have actually high hopes for that Ricasso to act as a "better finger choil":
The way I use and hold knives I am sure it will be perfectly fine to choke up on that Ricasso area, by doing so the index finger will partly rest on the front part of the guard anyway, and rather "push back" against that part more than "push up" against the actual blade/Ricasso.
Additionally, the middle finger locked behind the pronounced guard will further prevent the hand from slipping on the actual edge.
Plus: The Ricasso area, other than a dedicated choil, will have no tendency to hook up on stuff when cutting...

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Monty

Post by Monty »

It's probably already covered but what is the diameter of the spydiehole on the Siren?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Bring it on, hopefully my next Spydie. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:44 pm
It's probably already covered but what is the diameter of the spydiehole on the Siren?

The hole diameter is listed in reveal 3: 0,5" / 12.5 mm, so a bit on the smaller side. Plus the hole is partly covered (but not by much) when the knife is closed.
I think it will work perfectly well.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:23 am
Monty wrote:

The hole diameter is listed in reveal 3: 0,5" / 12.5 mm, so a bit on the smaller side. Plus the hole is partly covered (but not by much) when the knife is closed.
Thanks for the info. Not what I wanted to hear but I guess it is what it is, I won't be cancelling my preorder. I sold off my Native salt due to the small hole/partially covered aspect though. Especially with rubber gloves I prefer the larger Salt holes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:23 am
Monty wrote:
Thanks for the info. Not what I wanted to hear but I guess it is what it is, I won't be cancelling my preorder. I sold off my Native salt due to the small hole/partially covered aspect though. Especially with rubber gloves I prefer the larger Salt holes.
I´d sure give the Siren a try! As you certainly know anyway, several other factors determine how easy or not a Spyderco is to open: So the position of the hole compared to the pivot or the particular action of a knife and so on can make up partly for a sligthly less good purchase on the hole