Is the Siren a Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Is the Siren a Salt?

Post by vivi »

All I'm going to say is during these years of liner vs no liner debates, I've yet to hear someone bring up a use case that a linered knife can perform that a linerless can't.

If you prefer the heft or feel, that's cool, but there isn't anything Endura 4's can do that E3's can't.

Knives with liners have a more premium feel and tend to have smoother action and less play, but linerless knives can still hold up to decades of use and perform flawlessly.
:unicorn
tangent

Post by tangent »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:43 pm
All I'm going to say is during these years of liner vs no liner debates, I've yet to hear someone bring up a use case that a linered knife can perform that a linerless can't.

If you prefer the heft or feel, that's cool, but there isn't anything Endura 4's can do that E3's can't.

Knives with liners have a more premium feel and tend to have smoother action and less play, but linerless knives can still hold up to decades of use and perform flawlessly.
Well put
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I like fingerguards. I was a bit surprised at how easily Lance's design flows together.

Gonna get one.

Wouldn't mind one with the Goddard blade modified to fit Lance's handle design.

You could add liners, carbon fiber, and k390 to cover all the bases. ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like finger guards too...it is a must have for me. This knife is going to be epic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:04 am
the app also says it weighs 81,977 ounces.
I guess its THOR's pocket knife. Only the chosen ones can weild it :)
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

This knife literally just bumped every other knife I was interested in....the Siren is a must for me. I was already looking for a good fishing knife. Almost went with a Native Salt until I heard about this one!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

This is one of those knives I didn’t even know I needed until I saw it. I was actually contemplating picking up a Native Salt at some point, but now I might just have to wait until this one is released.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Here’s a shot of one of the early prototypes. Forgot I had this photo. Credit to Chad Kelly for both the craftsmanship and the photo.

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I love the overall concept, but what I’m afraid of is I wouldn’t like it because it looks like access to the spydiehole isn’t as open as it is on some other models. I think this is why I can’t warm up to the native.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:44 am
I love the overall concept, but what I’m afraid of is I wouldn’t like it because it looks like access to the spydiehole isn’t as open as it is on some other models. I think this is why I can’t warm up to the native.
We added a fair bit of relief to the handle on the production model. The hole is still partially occluded but that is hard to avoid when adding a spyderhole to a narrow blade. The finished product provides very easy access to the hole for fast and reliable opening though.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:57 am
prndltech wrote:
We added a fair bit of relief to the handle on the production model. The hole is still partially occluded but that is hard to avoid when adding a spyderhole to a narrow blade. The finished product provides very easy access to the hole for fast and reliable opening though.
I have no doubt I’ll end up trying one, I visited the native quite a few times... that’s the only thing I could potentially see being an issue for me just by looking. Obviously I won’t know till I get to handle it.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Lance,I´ve already expressed in this and other threads how much I like your design and am looking forward to the Siren!! :) (And that I hope for an FRN version someday, like I now know YOU do too... ;) )

But one thing I am not really fond of is the wire clip (though it is not a deal breaker at all). Maybe you´d like to elaborate why you choose to go with this and not a spoon clip?
I have not too many experience with wire clips (had it on Manix LW and Kapara, have if on the Chap) but I personally clearly prefer the spoon clip, especially on bigger,more outdoorsy folders. Less likely to catch on stuff, more robust and stable when you hold the knife.

But I am sure you did put in thoughts before you went with the wire clip:
Maybe cause Spyderco loop over clips are only available in "wire", and you wanted to position the clip below the lanyard hole but still not having too much of the knife sticking out of the pocket?
Or is it just for the weight?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I just said this in the pacific salt 2 thread. But my guess was because the wire clip is a less intrusive clip in multiple grip options, never really seems to give any hot spots. But who knows. I was curious about this as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Warstein and VooDooChild, you are both right. One of the deciding factors was that it was simply easier to position It for the knife to ride in pocket exactly how I wanted. It was also less obtrusive feeling in hand and in use. A few years ago I would have told you that I greatly preferred the hourglass clip over a wire clip because of its greater strength and tension. The thing is, that was my perception based on very little experience using wire clips. I have since carried a couple of wire clip knives extensively (including siren prototypes in my kayak fishing) and have had exactly zero issues with the performance of the clip. I have in fact come to think rather highly of its functionality. I think at this point I don’t really have a preference when it comes to functionality so the choice was based on other factors like the ones you guys already guessed at.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Surfingringo wrote: Hi Warstein and VooDooChild, you are both right. One of the deciding factors was that it was simply easier to position It for the knife to ride in pocket exactly how I wanted. It was also less obtrusive feeling in hand and in use. A few years ago I would have told you that I greatly preferred the hourglass clip over a wire clip because of its greater strength and tension. The thing is, that was my perception based on very little experience using wire clips. I have since carried a couple of wire clip knives extensively (including siren prototypes in my kayak fishing) and have had exactly zero issues with the performance of the clip. I have in fact come to think rather highly of its functionality. I think at this point I don’t really have a preference when it comes to functionality so the choice was based on other factors like the ones you guys already guessed at.
Thanks for letting us know.
I just hope it has alot of spring tension. Spydercos wire clips seem to be all over the place for me. My spydiechef seems to have very little tension. The para 3 lightweight has a little more. The kapara feels like a little more than that, and the chaparral lightweight and dragonfly salt feel like they have alot. I guess I could always mix and match. But I do prefer my wire clips to have alot of tension.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:57 am
prndltech wrote:
Lance, how long is the usable grip area on the Siren?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

From a picture I saw it looked like 4.5 inches behind the guard, and 3.5 inches behind the guard before the curve at the back.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191110-132823.png
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Why not grind and sharpen it all the way to the guard? There are a lot of cuts where it is useful to sort of wedge the item being cut between the guard and the end of the blade as you slice through it. This is one of the reasons I love the Tenacious and wish there were premium (Cru-Carta!) versions of the Tenacious/Resilience/Alcyone/Polestar, and even those I wish were sharpened all the way back into the liners.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

steelcity16 wrote: Why not grind and sharpen it all the way to the guard? There are a lot of cuts where it is useful to sort of wedge the item being cut between the guard and the end of the blade as you slice through it. This is one of the reasons I love the Tenacious and wish there were premium (Cru-Carta!) versions of the Tenacious/Resilience/Alcyone/Polestar, and even those I wish were sharpened all the way back into the liners.
While I have no idea if there are other reasons. I can see how that large ricasso would definitely help with one handed operation of a mid backlock.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:17 pm
Why not grind and sharpen it all the way to the guard? There are a lot of cuts where it is useful to sort of wedge the item being cut between the guard and the end of the blade as you slice through it. This is one of the reasons I love the Tenacious and wish there were premium (Cru-Carta!) versions of the Tenacious/Resilience/Alcyone/Polestar, and even those I wish were sharpened all the way back into the liners.
I thought that too, but then again, having a ricasso to choke up on might be nice since it has such a large integral guard.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"