Is the Siren a Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xplorer

Re: Is the Siren a Salt?

Post by Xplorer »

Congratulations Lance! You've designed a great fishing/outdoors/edc knife and nobody makes lockbacks better than Spyderco. An ideal collaboration! I'm definitely looking forward to carrying one of these. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Xplorer wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:40 pm
Congratulations Lance! You've designed a great fishing/outdoors/edc knife and nobody makes lockbacks better than Spyderco. An ideal collaboration! I'm definitely looking forward to carrying one of these. :)
Thanks Chad, that means a lot coming from you!

If anyone doesn’t know, Chad made the first and second prototype of the Siren. He engineered the lock and pivot and helped bring my kindergarten drawings to life. Without Chad’s commitment and skill, this knife might never have been born. Thanks brotha! :spyder:
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:44 pm
Thanks brotha! :spyder:
You are welcome my brotha! :) I'm glad to have had the opportunity to work with you on that project. I learned a ton and had fun doing it. :D
jdw

Post by jdw »

Both of you dudes rock. It's a very cool process coming to fruition. Ain't much else to say.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
tangent

Post by tangent »

Definitely on my 'to buy' list.

Just curious, but which do you prefer, Lance? The Waterway or The Siren when you're out on the Kayak.

:)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This seems to be the knife many of us have been clamoring for. A pointy bladed, rust proof, Larger sized, backlock, knife. Wonderful!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One day later (where I live)... and I am still very excited by this totally unexpected new model.

Blade shape, cutting edge length, NOT TOO deep carry (deep carry is what I totally do not like especially in larger knives), for my use most likely perfect for choking up on the ricasso (cause you can press your index finger BACK against the front side of the guard very well), roomy, simple handle, slicey blade, slim in the pocket, easy too sharpen (from all I hear about LC200 N), backlock, light weight... MAN! Just great.

Very few things I don´t like a 100%, if I am REALLY nitpicky: Wire clip and less than ideal edge to closed length ration, and I´d prefer FRN (but I know FRN molds are very pricey, so Spyderco just can´t do this on a knife of which they don´t know if it will sell well enough). But those are very minor points, and there is literally no knife (other than the Chap FRN) on which I would not change one or two tiny details if I could.

Congrats once more on the design!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

No liners?

Well that knocks it off my list, I guess I'll just have to "settle" for a Waterway!

I don't like this linerless trend >:(
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Just like gravy on a biscuit, I AM ALL OVER THIS!

I would have preferred a tip down option and an hourglass clip but that is certainly not a deal breaker. Congrats Lance. I think you have a winner here!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 am
No liners?

Well that knocks it off my list, I guess I'll just have to "settle" for a Waterway!

Why not? Honestly

I'm not sure how thick the knife is but based on what i've been seeing the G10 looks substantial.
And with it being a salt ( how couldn't it be?) I'd say that's one thing less to worry about rusting.
There's another thread going on right now discussing rust and corrosion on the liners of a folder that is in no way designed for handling even fresh water.
I'm not trying to start something here but this sounds like a needless gripe.
The only reason I'd see you wanting liners at this point would be cause you want a bit more weight and heft in the handle. Maybe some more strength but at that point I'd be asking what you plan to do with this kind of knife.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 am
This seems to be the knife many of us have been clamoring for. A pointy bladed, rust proof, Larger sized, backlock, knife. Wonderful!
:D Indeed! For the past few months I've been seeing a lot of comments about just what you're saying..larger knife, rust proof, pointy, backlock..and it's been painful to bite my tongue knowing Lance's knife was on the way and would check all of those boxes. It's really cool to see his design is finally on it's way.
anycal

Post by anycal »

What an interesting design! This will be my first LC200N.
Peter
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:48 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 am
:D Indeed! For the past few months I've been seeing a lot of comments about just what you're saying..larger knife, rust proof, pointy, backlock..and it's been painful to bite my tongue knowing Lance's knife was on the way and would check all of those boxes. It's really cool to see his design is finally on it's way.
I thought it was a lot farther off, if ever. I’m stoked. Lance has an eye for the practical, not the fanciful. I appreciate that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Marulaghost wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:08 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 am
No liners?

1. Why not? Honestly

2. I'm not sure how thick the knife is but based on what i've been seeing the G10 looks substantial.

3 . And with it being a salt ( how couldn't it be?) I'd say that's one thing less to worry about rusting.

4. There's another thread going on right now discussing rust and corrosion on the liners of a folder that is in no way designed for handling even fresh water.

5. I'm not trying to start something here but this sounds like a needless gripe.

6. The only reason I'd see you wanting liners at this point would be cause you want a bit more weight and heft in the handle.

7. Maybe some more strength but at that point I'd be asking what you plan to do with this kind of knife.
1. Because, I prefer liners.

2. Substantial compared to what?

3. Because, like the Caribbean, the liners could be made out of. LC200N.

4. Liners on a K390 Police 4 =/= liners on a Salt knife. One is designed for a corrosive environment, the other for general use.

5. Are you sure?

6. Hey, you partially answered your own question!

7. "It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

Now, my disdain for linerless knives should not be misconstrued as negative feelings towards Lance's design.
I love the design, but rather than purchase this one I will purchase a Waterway.

Long Live Liners!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Linerless knives properly constructed have proven themselves in hard use. I like liners okay, but truthfully unless I plan to get custom scales they are not needed. There is less to worry about without them.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

A really fantastic knife, congratulations to all involved.

Just me I'm sure, and black will sell more knives - but I'm biased toward a handle color with better visibility on knives I may be using in the dark or may drop into the weeds or water. Or even just trying to find it in the cockpit or my bag. Obvious answer of course is to keep it with me 24/7/365, then I won't have to look for it, will I?
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Really neat design, reminds me alot of the Spyderco/Goddard series.

Congratulations, Lance.
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:16 pm
Linerless knives properly constructed have proven themselves in hard use. I like liners okay, but truthfully unless I plan to get custom scales they are not needed. There is less to worry about without them.
a linerless knife can survive some hard use, but that doesn't negate the benefits of liners. all of my linerless backlock spydercos have been perfectly fine in my regular use, but they don't feel substantial at the pivot. all have flex. all develop play much faster. none inspire the confidence that they can take the abuse i know they can take. it doesn't much matter what a knife can survive if it's not going to function in a way which inspires confidence rather than apprehension.

all of that said, this looks like a great knife. i'm not personally interested in it at the moment, but i could definitely see that changing at some point and i'm very happy to see more lc200n and hope that continues. congrats, lance.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
tangent

Post by tangent »

My opinion on the liner vs linerless knives is that a folder is really not intended for 'hard use'. Sure, some folders can handle more 'hard use' than other folders, but all pale in comparison to fixed blade knives. So, to me, the linerless is perfect...since it is lightweight, can handle normal use, has fewer parts and is less likely to rust in an apple vs apple comparison. If I know I need a knife for hard use, I get a fixed blade knife. Usually, if you know you're gonna need a hard use knife, you know beforehand. All this is just my opinion, of course...and I could be completely wrong!! :)