Knife opened in my pocket.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GiftedMisfit

Re: Knife opened in my pocket.

Post by GiftedMisfit »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:14 pm
Thanks for asking. I’ve been hanging out with traditional slip joints for quite some time but I have sorely missed my Rhino. After long reflection about my personal favorite Spyderco it came down to the Rhino once again. So I have one on order and it will also give me the opportunity to spend more time on the forum and put forth my opinions on most everything, LOL.
As far as my cancer is concerned, last week I finished my eighth round of chemotherapy, which pretty much kicked my *** however that was the last one. Hopefully the little cancer monsters will behave themselves for a while and I’ll have some decent health and peace and quiet from all that. I am just taking it as it comes and try to enjoy each day as much as possible.
See you on the forms

I hope they stay quiet now too. Happy you're back here on the forums.

To the OP I've never had a knife open in my pocket.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Happened to me with a small Sebenza. Somehow the tip caught on something and was slightly open in my pocket, clipped tip up. It got me pretty good in the palm.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 am
I'll never understand people like you and bloke making fun of people who had a knife malfunction. Weird response to an honest problem Bloke himself has even experienced.
Hey Vivi, lets put this into context, mate; Bug mentioned the thread was drifting towards lock preferences and I should have kept my smart fingers off the keyboard, but I didn’t and had a little chop at back locks, not people’s preferences and thought I was funny, maybe 6/10. I was laughing as I typed and I certainly hadn’t forgotten my own misadventure with my favourite model.

I spun my post thinking back when our good mates Wartstein and Surfingringo timed themselves opening and closing their back locks. You chimed in too I’m fairly sure and I just thought it was funny business and posted then laughing without any disrespect whatsoever. I thought of my very good friend Doc Dan too saying he was hurt when a liner lock failed. I couldn’t see any humour in that! I thought of you running cross country with a knife in your waistband and thought that was funny.

You shouldn’t forget that I’m Australian mate, and on top of all that laughing is my favourite pastime plus I’m a sarcastic little bastard. So if I was going to the gym, for a run or swim with a mate and he turned up with a knife I’d laugh ... It’s just the way it is. People here would think it strange to see gym junkies, joggers, surfers ... carrying knives. If I saw a bloke with a knife clipped to his board shorts at our local beach I’d laugh and ask him “You scared of sharks, mate”? Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! And I’m a knife knut!

For what it’s worth two of my most used and abused all time favourite folders are my Tasman and Ladybug and earlier on this year I bought a nice Boker back lock. If I think I may like a knife from a reputable maker I buy it. I don’t get hung up on locks, corrosion resistance and the like. I buy with my eyes so I’m most likely not to buy a knife because I don’t like where it was made or the scale colour. Ah, hahaha!

Anyhow, I meant no disrespect and don’t know what else to say. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is why I pretty much gave up on "automatic" (switchblade) folders. And it's not necessarily the legality issue but yet the safety aspect.

And the automatic folders I had were Benchmade and ProTech. In other words these auto folders were at the top of the quality spectrum. And I had two instances where those blades were deployed inside my pocket and once when I was doing some tree work up in the tree :eek: I have since gotten rid of all the auto folders I had owned. Fortunately I never got injured by the Grace of GOD but I sure could have been very easily.

Now I've never had a conventional type folder ever open up on me. But as a general rule I don't keep my folder blades loose for flipping and so forth. Even with my folder blades taking some effort to deploy has never hindered me. But this is a serious issue and safety is my top priority.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I had an old, pre CQI military open a little bit. Felt a prick but it didn’t actually cut me.

I read through this thread... crazy to hear of some back locks opening in some of y’all pockets. Don’t think there’s any explanation for that. :confused:

FRN back locks are what I carry the most these days.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:05 am
Vivi wrote:
I'll never understand people like you and bloke making fun of people who had a knife malfunction. Weird response to an honest problem Bloke himself has even experienced.
Hey Vivi, lets put this into context, mate; Bug mentioned the thread was drifting towards lock preferences and I should have kept my smart fingers off the keyboard, but I didn’t and had a little chop at back locks, not people’s preferences and thought I was funny, maybe 6/10. I was laughing as I typed and I certainly hadn’t forgotten my own misadventure with my favourite model.

I spun my post thinking back when our good mates Wartstein and Surfingringo timed themselves opening and closing their back locks. You chimed in too I’m fairly sure and I just thought it was funny business and posted then laughing without any disrespect whatsoever. I thought of my very good friend Doc Dan too saying he was hurt when a liner lock failed. I couldn’t see any humour in that! I thought of you running cross country with a knife in your waistband and thought that was funny.

You shouldn’t forget that I’m Australian mate, and on top of all that laughing is my favourite pastime plus I’m a sarcastic little bastard. So if I was going to the gym, for a run or swim with a mate and he turned up with a knife I’d laugh ... It’s just the way it is. People here would think it strange to see gym junkies, joggers, surfers ... carrying knives. If I saw a bloke with a knife clipped to his board shorts at our local beach I’d laugh and ask him “You scared of sharks, mate”? Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! And I’m a knife knut!

For what it’s worth two of my most used and abused all time favourite folders are my Tasman and Ladybug and earlier on this year I bought a nice Boker back lock. If I think I may like a knife from a reputable maker I buy it. I don’t get hung up on locks, corrosion resistance and the like. I buy with my eyes so I’m most likely not to buy a knife because I don’t like where it was made or the scale colour. Ah, hahaha!

i always have a knife in my waistband when i work out and when i’m at the beach. it’s not for sharks. it’s for anything i might need a knife for, just like the rest of the time i carry one. i carry a se pacific salt because you never know when you might need to cut yourself, or someone else, out of something. there’s all kinds of crap out there in the water.
i almost had to use it one day when i saw a lady free diving with a float tied to her leg for resting when she would surface. she was swimming down deep and around the reef and the rope was getting caught up. fortunately, she was able to keep pretty good control of it, but it could’ve been disastrous for her. i’ve also seen people tether their valuables to themselves in dry bags because of all the theft here. it just makes sense to me to carry a blade if i can. if the salt series didn’t exist, i probably wouldn’t have ever considered it though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:48 am
i always have a knife in my waistband when i work out and when i’m at the beach. it’s not for sharks. it’s for anything i might need a knife for, just like the rest of the time i carry one. i carry a se pacific salt because you never know when you might need to cut yourself, or someone else, out of something. there’s all kinds of crap out there in the water.
i almost had to use it one day when i saw a lady free diving with a float tied to her leg for resting when she would surface. she was swimming down deep and around the reef and the rope was getting caught up. fortunately, she was able to keep pretty good control of it, but it could’ve been disastrous for her. i’ve also seen people tether their valuables to themselves in dry bags because of all the theft here. it just makes sense to me to carry a blade if i can. if the salt series didn’t exist, i probably wouldn’t have ever considered it though.
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Heard that in one of the first 2 tremors movies 20+ years ago and it stuck.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm a little worried about carrying my Military in my right front pocket. Being tip down carry and the spine not against the seam of my pants like it normally is, I just hope I don't stick my hand in my pocket and when pulling my hand out, that the blade doesn't happen to be open a bit and gets me good. Anybody have this happen before with a Military?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 am
I'm a little worried about carrying my Military in my right front pocket. Being tip down carry and the spine not against the seam of my pants like it normally is, I just hope I don't stick my hand in my pocket and when pulling my hand out, that the blade doesn't happen to be open a bit and gets me good. Anybody have this happen before with a Military?
it’s probably not going to open in your pocket in the first place. but, if you put the blade of you hand against the spine of the knife, it should push and hold the knife closed while your hand is in your pocket.

if i had a knife in this configuration, i’d consider putting it in my back right pocket so the blade would be up against the edge of the pocket and i could still grab it with my right hand. or, i’d just put the clip on the other side and deal with turning the knife around after drawing it.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TkoK83Spy wrote: I'm a little worried about carrying my Military in my right front pocket. Being tip down carry and the spine not against the seam of my pants like it normally is, I just hope I don't stick my hand in my pocket and when pulling my hand out, that the blade doesn't happen to be open a bit and gets me good. Anybody have this happen before with a Military?
In normal edc like walking around nothing really bothers me. Plus given the militarys carry option that should be difficult. But... if theres a chance Ill be doing anything like going on a boat or jumping on a motorcycle or whatever I grab a backlock. From my former job Im super paranoid about blade retention, which is why I like good backlocks. Ive just accepted there are some knives I wont carry some times.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Shaman seems to have solved the issue I had with my Para 3 LW opening in my pocket. My assumption was that the fabric of my shorts would press the lock tab enough to release the blade and allow it to fall against the seam of my shorts. Yes, I carried it with the blade facing the seam, but it still shifts around as you walk, get up, sit down, get in and out of cars, etc. Enough to where this is a gap between the blade and seam, where the blade can open if the lock tab is inadvertently depressed. It wasn't a detent issue the more that I think about it, because I tested the detent and it was quite stong and i couldn't shake the blade out if I tried.

My Cru-carta Shaman on the other hand I can open the blade with a hard gravity flick of the wrist, presumably because the heavier blade overcomes the detent easier. Even so, it hasn't opened it my pocket once and it has been in my pocket every day for over a month. I also don't take care to place it all the way against the seam. I just throw it in my pocket and go. The Shaman's design where the ricasso goes into the lock tab opening actually seems to block fabric from getting in there and depressing it all the way. The Shaman also has never given me a pinch once, and I can't even make it pinch me if I try. Other comp locks like the Para 3 LW pinch the meat of my index finger when I do the spydiehole thumb slide opening.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

ladybug93 wrote:
Bloke wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:05 am
Vivi wrote:

I could probably talk about both sides of this. I will say, after a lifetime on the beach, and many years as a beach lifeguard, there was only one time I had to cut a person loose from something. It was a coworker who got tangled in braided line while training. Thank god he was at the surface in shallow water.
So very unlikely but anything can happen.

My salts have however saved many a seaturtle over the years.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 am
The Shaman seems to have solved the issue I had with my Para 3 LW opening in my pocket. My assumption was that the fabric of my shorts would press the lock tab enough to release the blade and allow it to fall against the seam of my shorts. Yes, I carried it with the blade facing the seam, but it still shifts around as you walk, get up, sit down, get in and out of cars, etc. Enough to where this is a gap between the blade and seam, where the blade can open if the lock tab is inadvertently depressed. It wasn't a detent issue the more that I think about it, because I tested the detent and it was quite stong and i couldn't shake the blade out if I tried.
For the life of me I can't see how the fabric of your shorts could possibly press on the lock bar enough to allow the knife to open. I have a G10 P3 on me today. So I just looked at it. It takes quite a bit of pressure to push the lock bar and the clip side scale is above it. So I would think the scale would keep any fabric away from the lock. Anything's possible I guess but it doesn't seem very likely
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:22 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 am
For the life of me I can't see how the fabric of your shorts could possibly press on the lock bar enough to allow the knife to open. I have a G10 P3 on me today. So I just looked at it. It takes quite a bit of pressure to push the lock bar and the clip side scale is above it. So I would think the scale would keep any fabric away from the lock. Anything's possible I guess but it doesn't seem very likely

That's the only thing I can think of because I couldn't shake the blade out if I tried. But it happened so often I gave up. I will definitely buy a Cruwear Para 3 LW exclusively and give it another try because I like the model otherwise. The pinch I could do without, but I was willing to live with the occasional pinch. An occasional stab? Not willing to live with.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:54 am
I could probably talk about both sides of this. I will say, after a lifetime on the beach, and many years as a beach lifeguard, there was only one time I had to cut a person loose from something. It was a coworker who got tangled in braided line while training. Thank god he was at the surface in shallow water.

people that don't carry knives at all would say the same thing to us about carrying a knife daily. most people don't actually need a knife very often, but when you do, you'll be glad it's there. the same applies for me in the water. like i said, i never considered carrying a knife into the water until i learned about the salt series. actually, the pacific salt is what brought me back to spyderco after many years and many knives in between. if i can carry a knife into the ocean, where there are plenty of dangers, why in the world would i not? i'm sure that one co-worker was glad you had a knife on you that day.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

ladybug93 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

people that don't carry knives at all would say the same thing to us about carrying a knife daily. most people don't actually need a knife very often, but when you do, you'll be glad it's there. the same applies for me in the water. like i said, i never considered carrying a knife into the water until i learned about the salt series. actually, the pacific salt is what brought me back to spyderco after many years and many knives in between. if i can carry a knife into the ocean, where there are plenty of dangers, why in the world would i not? i'm sure that one co-worker was glad you had a knife on you that day.
Its always funny to me. There have been several times I have been helping a friend or family member move or work on something. All of a sudden someone needs a knife to open something or cut something. I am the only person with a knife so I pull it out and the cut gets done. Then right after that, I get asked why I have a knife on me.
Oh I dont know. I guess for the exact situation that just happened.
As far as the story I told goes its more funny than anything. But yes after his tugging on braided fishing line started to cut into his skin, he was pretty happy to get it cut off. What really sucks about that stuff is you cant chew through it or break it like monofilament line if you had to. Although I imagine if your oxygen supply was on the line you could find a way.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

VooDooChild wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

I could swim not too long after I could walk and grew up spending the warmer months on the beach and not much has changed. The only knife I’ve consciously taken into the water is an ab’ knife because it’s the best tool for prying abalone off rocks.

The only time I could have used a knife in the surf was about forty five years ago when a kook fishing from the beach hooked my leg rope and thought he’d caught the fish of a lifetime. Anyhow, I bit through the mono line and disengaged but the barb went into the rubber and getting it out tore it and wrecked it.

I was a lippy little bugger and paddled in close enough to give him a mouthful of cheek and told him to funk off! :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:08 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

I could swim not too long after I could walk and grew up spending the warmer months on the beach and not much has changed. The only knife I’ve consciously taken into the water is an ab’ knife because it’s the best tool for prying abalone off rocks.

The only time I could have used a knife in the surf was about forty five years ago when a kook fishing from the beach hooked my leg rope and thought he’d caught the fish of a lifetime. Anyhow, I bit through the mono line and disengaged but the barb went into the rubber and getting it out tore it and wrecked it.

I was a lippy little bugger and paddled in close enough to give him a mouthful of cheek and told him to funk off! :D
you're lucky it was in your leash instead of your leg. this is actually one of the scenarios i had in mind when getting my pacific salt. i grew up near the beach and there were always fishers with lines out in the water. fortunately, this isn't something i've experienced here in hawaii, but i bought the knife before coming here, so i expected it to be true here as well. in my mind, it's still a good practice to have it on me just in case. it certainly doesn't hurt anything to carry it since it's so light and thin. i barely know it's there.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 am
I wouldn't worry about it with a Military. I had a 640 MiniSpike open that way and kill a wallet as I was pulling it out of my pocket, but the geometry is completely different. The hump on the Millie means you'll be pushing the blade shut as your hand rubs along the spine. It rides high enough that by the time you get past the hole to where you might drag the blade open, your hand will be clear of your pocket.