Knife opened in my pocket.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rabbitanarchy14

Re: Knife opened in my pocket.

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i have never had anything like this happen and i have carried knives 22 years so far and 5 of them solely spyderco, 99% of the time one in my back pocket (para 3) tip down with the spine to the open part of my pocket. i do find it pretty comical that so many of you swear by backlocks and yet there are more than 5 knives in this thread alone that opened and are backlocks.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:18 am
i have never had anything like this happen and i have carried knives 22 years so far and 5 of them solely spyderco, 99% of the time one in my back pocket (para 3) tip down with the spine to the open part of my pocket. i do find it pretty comical that so many of you swear by backlocks and yet there are more than 5 knives in this thread alone that opened and are backlocks.

Which "more than five" backlocks exactly till your post ? (Honest question, am at work, can't count right now)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

ok 4 i found. i am at work as well just skimming through it. thought there were a few more tho.

james Y had a rookie
mushroom had a ladybug
evil d had a ladybug
zuludelta had a delica 4
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:53 am
ok 4 i found. i am at work as well just skimming through it. thought there were a few more tho.

james Y had a rookie
mushroom had a ladybug
evil d had a ladybug
zuludelta had a delica 4
Thanks a lot for taking the time! :)
I'll have to look into that later (after work... :rolleyes: )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Thanks heaps everyone. :cool:

I’m quite surprised by how many of you have had similar experiences and the variety of locks involved. James’s Rookie and Nick and D’s Ladybugs opening on their own is plain baffling but just goes to show.

I haven’t had any reason to suspect the detent has weakened and I just compared it to the other three Military’s I have, S110V, 204P, REX45 and I can’t truly pick a difference other than to say the S110V seems to have the most retention. I’d like to get some definitive figures with a trigger pull gauge or similar but don’t have one, unfortunately.

I’m fairly anal about cleaning and maintaining folders and run a strip of paper between scales and blade regularly so I don’t think lint played a role. Perhaps like D suggested I didn’t close the knife all the way before I put it in my pocket ... I don’t know?

I do know, I’ve often thought how does a folder open in your pocket and I’m sorry to say that all the responses Vivi quotes may as well have been mine. :o

Anyhow, I certainly learnt a lesson and in the future I won’t take it as a given that any knife in any pocket will stay closed irrespective of lock or how it’s carried and a slightly tighter pivot certainly can’t hurt.

And, Chris, you’re an Ideas Man, no doubt. :rolleyes: Ah, hahaha! :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm
My clipped tip up advocate somehow opened in my pocket the other week. Somehow did not cut myself but it sliced through the stitching of the top of my jean'd pocket when I pulled it out without looking. Felt lucky. I blame the Advocate's soft detent but am still surprised it opened because the spine was against the seam. Kinda mad at the knife right now.
I've done this with a pm2
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Bloke, I've never had a fixed blade open in my pocket or close with a spine whack. ;) But to put your mind at ease, you could always wear one cut-proof glove. We won't make any jokes about it.

(Bloke struggling with the decision...)

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Is that a knife in your pocket Bloke, or are you happy.......

I dropped a Para 3 a few weeks ago and watched the knife flick open like it was a flick knife the minute it hit the floor. Fell flat side down ( clip up ). Didn’t drop it that hard and was on a wooden floor..... weird
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is true that it is possible for a backlock to open. However, they usually close themselves when or if that happens.

Like a Vivi said, a lot of people live in denial and in a fantasy world. Just because they have nit experienced a detent knife opening does not negate the millions who have. Saying, “I’ve carried a knife x number of years in x fashion and never had one open, so it does not happen” is a logical fallacy. It’s like saying “ I know hundreds of people and not one is Chinese. Therefore, there are no Chinese anywhere.”
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have thought about using rubber bands like this before Bloke, but it defeats the purpose of carrying a one hand open (and close) knife! :confused:

Back-locks only for me when I carry in waistband at 1 o’clock. Not risking 4 inches of pointy sharpened steel near the vital organs...

RFP is open target for all lock types, but I avoid weak detents as far as possible.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
FK

Post by FK »

In the past 30 years the only knife I have had open in pocket was a CRK Sebenza.
I carried Spyderco Military models for many years without any incidents.
Many of my folders are now carried in nylon or leather pouches on belt, totally eliminates any potential problems and gives more room in front pockets.

Regards,
FK
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 pm
It's time to accept it. This is a genuine issue.
True dat! There is nothing inherently safe about carrying—let alone using—folders generally or Spydies particularly.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 am
Vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 pm
It's time to accept it. This is a genuine issue.
True dat! There is nothing inherently safe about carrying—let alone using—folders generally or Spydies particularly.
Well said Marc! It’s a risk associated with folding knives regardless of lock type, and a risk I’m willing to accept!
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

FK wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:05 am
In the past 30 years the only knife I have had open in pocket was a CRK Sebenza.
I carried Spyderco Military models for many years without any incidents.
Many of my folders are now carried in nylon or leather pouches on belt, totally eliminates any potential problems and gives more room in front pockets.

Regards,
FK
This is a good idea. A pocket slip is another good idea. There is little chance of a knife opening using one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Monty

Post by Monty »

I've had a ladybug open on a keychain and get me pretty good. Had a Benchmade that opened a few times carried front pocket tip down. Ultimately any knife that can be opened with inertia has the possibility of opening. Like Brock I stick to lockbacks for iwb and prefer a stiff detent for pocket carry.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The only folding knives I carry that I KNOW won’t open accidentally on me are my SAKs. I’ve been carrying and using SAKs for nearly 40 years now.

Jim
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

My PM2 opened a couple of times in the pocket... and I didn't even carry it much. I've never had a bakclock open in the pocket, and I have been carrying them exclusively in the last 7 or 8 years.
Monty

Post by Monty »

The Ikuchi can be made fairly safe with the Nick Shabazz mod.

https://youtu.be/la_Spi3ujKU
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I wonder if someone could come up with an after-market "manual safety" for folding knives. As suggested, a pocket slip or pouch should work fine. I've also seen the minimalistic kydex neck carry sheaths that could be a solution. A taco style version would be more pocket friendly compared to the pancake style like the one below.

Screenshot from Google images

I dont remember ever having this problem with any folding knife, but it is one reason why I prefer backlocks.