Suggestion on how to greatly improve the Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: Suggestion on how to greatly improve the Manix 2

Post by PStone »

I really liked the jimp-less handle of the manix2 lockback, but always felt the extra jimping on the regular and XL really aided grip when using gloves.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

The Manix2 lockback definitely felt super-refined in comparison to the regular Manix2. I think the lack of jimping and the solid backspacers contributed largely to that feeling, as they gave the spine of the handle a large smooth surface that felt great to grip.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah, on my first Manix, one of the Cruwears from the first run, first impression was ergos great, jimping uncomfortable and ridiculously excessive on the handle. I rounded and softened all the high spots with sandpaper.

I also found the DLC on my 52100 softened the feel, so it wasn't necessary to take any sandpaper to it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

cbrstar wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:27 pm
After finally owning 4 different versions of the Manix 2, I feel like I have a simple suggestion that would make the Manix 2 more attractive and better... :cool:
Remove all the jimping from the liners

The liner jimping some how makes the knife look more busy and less expensive. And it feels awefull! And thanks to the blade having jimping it's completely redundant.

A Manix with a nice smoothed out handle would be the best one yet IMHO. :D
Agreed, I hope Spyderco removes the excess jimping.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ferider

Post by ferider »

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:01 pm
OK, how did you do that, custom liners? If so, where can I find them :)
Liners are completely replaced with Flytanium Ti scales :) Here are the details: viewtopic.php?t=82934

I now have several of these, they compare in weight to a Manix LW, and hold up very well.

BTW, every so often I see somebody on ebay selling similar Manix 2 conversions with Plexiglass scales and no liners. And Steve/Caveman on ebay (for example #193103936983) makes aluminum scales sans jimping to fully replace original Manix 2 scales, too.

Cheers,

Roland.
Last edited by ferider on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:33 pm
Yeah, on my first Manix, one of the Cruwears from the first run, first impression was ergos great, jimping uncomfortable and ridiculously excessive on the handle. I rounded and softened all the high spots with sandpaper.

I also found the DLC on my 52100 softened the feel, so it wasn't necessary to take any sandpaper to it.
Funny you say that about the KW exclusive model. I was just toying around with mine and my 20CV and Cruwear models because of your post. I have to agree, it does feel a bit less aggressive on the 52100. Nothing crazy, but a subtle difference.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I agree on removing the jimping. My backlock manix feels much better. Would be even better if it had contoured scales.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 pm
I agree on removing the jimping. My backlock manix feels much better. Would be even better if it had contoured scales.
This exactly. My only gripe on the Manix2 backlock was the thicker handle combined with the near elimination of the chamfering on the handle edges. If it had chamfering or other contouring, it would be so incredibly handmelty! I guess they didn't chamfer it to reduce the chances of having the handle twist/rotate in hand.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The jimping doesn't bother me so I could take it or leave it. If it really bothered me there are plenty of other models in the line up. I actually carry my Manix 2 LWs more than the G10s so maybe it bothers me subconsciously :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:37 pm
Funny you say that about the KW exclusive model. I was just toying around with mine and my 20CV and Cruwear models because of your post. I have to agree, it does feel a bit less aggressive on the 52100. Nothing crazy, but a subtle difference.
Yeah it's interesting that that small thickness of DLC seems to reduce that sensation of having pointy bits of metal sticking into your hand everywhere.

I find sanding lightly with fine grit does the same thing. I often sand over the edges of sharp angled handles with 1500/2000 grit, like I did on the Cruwear Manix jimping. You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but it does improve the feel in hand IMHO.

For that reason, I wouldn't necessarily want to do away with the handle jimping entirely. I think it does look kinda cool. But if it was just smoothed out and flush with the scales, like Evil D's, that would be an improvement.
Last edited by Cambertree on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

That linerless Manix looks amazing. I agree the jimping is too much on the liners
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

ferider wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:30 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:01 pm
OK, how did you do that, custom liners? If so, where can I find them :)
Liners are completely replaced with Flytanium Ti scales :) Here are the details: viewtopic.php?t=82934

I now have several of these, they compare in weight to a Manix LW, and hold up very well.

BTW, every so often I see somebody on ebay selling similar Manix 2 conversions with Plexiglass scales and no liners. And Steve/Caveman on ebay (for example #193103936983) makes aluminum scales sans jimping to fully replace original Manix 2 scales, too.

Cheers,

Roland.
I going to look into these. Thank you so much Roland!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Bring back the M2 Backlock....or at least some sort of Sprint Run etc. That’d be perfect 👌
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I looove all that jimping :eek:

P.S Bring back the lil'Manix with a 3 inch blade, linerless smooth G10 handle and a backlock :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:38 pm
P.S Bring back the lil'Manix with a 3 inch blade, linerless smooth G10 handle and a backlock :spyder:
THIS. I would kill for a lil’ Manix