Anyone taken apart the new Smock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Anyone taken apart the new Smock?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was curious if anyone had taken apart the new Smock and could confirm if it recieved the same CQI as the Kapara did.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Re: Anyone taken apart the new Smock?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wasn't aware the Smock was receiving any CQI on the 2nd release?? What's the change?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I thought only the Kapara and Ikuchi were getting CQI'd?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I did take mine apart when I installed new scales last week. I didn't have the first release model, though...what exactly were you looking for?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Smock is a bearing flipper right? It wouldn't need cqi like the Kapara did on the pivot I assume. Actually, the Kapara probably didn't need cqi either, except I guess people wanted it to have action more like a PM2. But I believe the bushing pivot is superior so maybe it should have had it from the start?

I think the Sage 5 could benefit from it as well. While being smooth, my sage has never had as good an action as my para 3.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for the responses spyder friends :spyder: I wasn't sure if it was getting it or not. Didn't know it was on bearings either :o that's kind of a minus for me, but Im still considering getting one. Just wanted to know if there were any changes between the first and second runs because the one I'm looking at was from the first run.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:09 pm
Thanks for the responses spyder friends :spyder: I wasn't sure if it was getting it or not. Didn't know it was on bearings either :o that's kind of a minus for me, but Im still considering getting one. Just wanted to know if there were any changes between the first and second runs because the one I'm looking at was from the first run.
I, for one, really love my Smock. It might be my favorite knife at the moment. But just a heads up if you do get one and take it apart: there's a 2nd detent ball in there that pops out really easily when you open it up. Just be ready for it!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:01 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:09 pm
I, for one, really love my Smock. It might be my favorite knife at the moment. But just a heads up if you do get one and take it apart: there's a 2nd detent ball in there that pops out really easily when you open it up. Just be ready for it!
Thanks!