Police 4 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sok

Re: Police 4 LW

Post by sok »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:15 am
sok wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:18 pm
I just saw the thread of the non-lightweight with the liners getting a little surface rust. So much for this knife scratching the Pacific Salt itch. That would be too much to ask any way. I wonder how hard it is to take this knife apart. You don't have the lanyard hole to deal with.

I can't wait to get one.
The Police series is pretty easy to take apart. If you're looking for a knife to specifically use around water I'd consider another Pacific Salt or the upcoming Siren over the Police. VG10 is a great stainless steel but if a Police 4 LW spends all day getting wet, rust is possible.
Yeah, the Police 4 LW still fills a void in my lineup and I am going to get one. I have always liked the looks of the Police but never pulled the trigger. The LW seems to be just what I want. Rust proof or not.

This knife wasn’t on my radar until yesterday, and when I saw a pic in this thread, my mind saw images of a choiled Pacific Salt and I started thinking out loud. I now know the specifics and I still want one.

If I had to replace the PS today, I would probably get the Atlantic Salt. I have become fairly choil dependent. If it had a tip like the PS, I probably would have already bought one.

Going back six or seven years, the two models that I have carried the most, as a work knife, have been the Pacific Salt(about a year) and The Caly(about five years). I can take every Caly 3.5 that I own, disassemble them, scrub them clean with hot soapy water, shake them and then set them out to dry, in fifteen minutes. Same for the Pacific Salt. Also, the last few years I have fallen on the side of no oil or lubrication for my folders. I take them apart and clean them and use them dry. It doesn’t seem like this will be a problem for the P4 LW.

Every EDC that I own is subject to getting wet, but it is not an everyday occurrence. Probably two or three times a year. I have been having a love affair with the Paramilitary 2 and 3 here lately, but have not waterlogged one yet. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

Anyhow, back to the Police 4 Lightweight and my desire to want one. I do want one and it will be my next purchase.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

shunsui wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:57 am
4.5 oz is what the scale says for the K390 Police4 with G-10 scales.

I'd imagine ~4.4 oz might be valid too. (+/- LSD)

Nice scale ;) hopefully someone will weight the LW

timlara

Post by timlara »

Looks great. Bring on the BRG/ZDP version!
Tim
vivi

Post by vivi »

This knife is going to rule my pockets this fall / winter. Ordering one soon!
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

VG10+FRN=practical
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:48 am
VG10+FRN=practical
+1
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Had some horrible glare trying to get this photo. If I pulled back to see the knife and scale, you couldn't read the weight. It isn't very legible regardless, but I got 4.2oz.

kwselke

Post by kwselke »

Doc Dan wrote:
VG10+FRN=practical
That, and affordable too.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
VG10+FRN=practical
= outstanding performance.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Any talk of a H1 or LC200n version?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:28 am
Had some horrible glare trying to get this photo. If I pulled back to see the knife and scale, you couldn't read the weight. It isn't very legible regardless, but I got 4.2oz.

Thanks for your efforts! The G10 P4 has a balance point that is quite a distance into the handle. I'm curious how the LW feels with the FRN backspacer evening it out a bit.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 pm
Thanks for your efforts! The G10 P4 has a balance point that is quite a distance into the handle. I'm curious how the LW feels with the FRN backspacer evening it out a bit.
I find the balance point to be around the torx screw between the pivot and the lock bar.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:29 pm
Nice scale ;) hopefully someone will weight the LW

I was worried there until I saw the aftermarket clip. :D
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Well, I am typing this with my Police 4 in my pocket. I am thinking about LW .....Maybe
But if it comes as full Salt I would buy it for sure.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

In at DLT, Spyderco is really trying to hit the wallet. Police 4 LW, more Kapara, CQI SpydieChef, and discontinued knives all at the same time. Whew, hard to decide.
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

My police 4 FRN arrived in today's mail. I love it. I'm a huge Delica and Endura fan. The Police 4 FRN is a tremendous addition to my Seki City FRN collection. It adds blade length over the Endura. It also seems to slice as well as a Delica. I'll need to carry it for a while before I draw big conclusions, but my first opinion of it is that it fills a niche in my collection and my initial impressions are all positive.
vivi

Post by vivi »

kwselke wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:41 pm
My police 4 FRN arrived in today's mail. I love it. I'm a huge Delica and Endura fan. The Police 4 FRN is a tremendous addition to my Seki City FRN collection. It adds blade length over the Endura. It also seems to slice as well as a Delica. I'll need to carry it for a while before I draw big conclusions, but my first opinion of it is that it fills a niche in my collection and my initial impressions are all positive.
This is one of the reasons I've always loved my G10 Police 3 and 4. Big knife with small knife geometry. 3mm stock with a full distal taper means most the blade is under 3mm thick. Full flat grind. Pointy tip. Very high performance model.

Seeing the FRN version cost $100 less than the G10 gives me hope this model will sell well enough to do the planned sprints. I plan to order two after I stock up on Pacific Salts.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vivi,

I'm sure you'll like it......cuz I like it.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 pm
Hi Vivi,

I'm sure you'll like it......cuz I like it.

sal
I am sorry i missed you when i visited the mothership last week Sal!
Did buy a Police LW though, and i like it. My first non-all metal Police :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I hope the P4 LW lockbar and blade fit the P4 G10. I want to have a K390 LW, to offer a lightweight friend for my G10 P4. I've considered picking up a 2nd G10 P4 anyway.