Police 4 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
levs18

Re: Police 4 LW

Post by levs18 »

Was there ever an explanation as to why the LW/G10 have a different blade than the SSversions? The blade on the SS what originally drew me to the police.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

levs18 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 pm
Was there ever an explanation as to why the LW/G10 have a different blade than the SSversions? The blade on the SS what originally drew me to the police.
The SS ones aren't the Police 4. I believe they're technically the Police 2, though not the same as when they came out. That's probably why Spyderco just calls it the Police. It's a classic model. I doubt Spyderco sells many of them, though. They probably just still make it because it is an icon. If you'll look, the Police 3 was quite a bit different than the Police models before it. Flat grind with swedge, g10. Sal said that the Police 4 was a knife he designed for himself based on his own wants and preferences. It has a different blade shape than the P3 with the Endura tip and all. And k390.

Hope that helps.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
James Y

Post by James Y »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:36 pm
levs18 wrote:
The SS ones aren't the Police 4. I believe they're technically the Police 2, though not the same as when they came out. That's probably why Spyderco just calls it the Police. It's a classic model. I doubt Spyderco sells many of them, though. They probably just still make it because it is an icon. If you'll look, the Police 3 was quite a bit different than the Police models before it. Flat grind with swedge, g10. Sal said that the Police 4 was a knife he designed for himself based on his own wants and preferences. It has a different blade shape than the P3 with the Endura tip and all. And k390.

Hope that helps.
I’m betting that Spyderco still sells plenty of SS Police models, up to now. Even though it is an iconic knife, I doubt that Spyderco would keep even the SS Police in its lineup if it wasn’t selling enough units every year. Over the years, many professionals have carried the SS Police on the job, and there are probably others coming up who have seen and heard about it. Remember, knife aficionados/forumites make up a small percentage of knife users overall. There are a ton of non-knife people out there who will buy certain brands and certain models by word of mouth/reputation. Otherwise, the SS Police would have gone the way of the SS Mariner and Worker, two other very iconic Spyderco models, a long time ago. Personally, I hope the SS Police stays around for a long time to come. I own four of them.

Jim
levs18

Post by levs18 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
levs18 wrote:

Hope that helps.

I get that there have been iterations, I’m just wondering why the SS version was never update and/or why that blade wasn’t on a g-10 version. I would love the SS on a LW handle
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

levs18 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:39 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
levs18 wrote:

Hope that helps.

I get that there have been iterations, I’m just wondering why the SS version was never update and/or why that blade wasn’t on a g-10 version. I would love the SS on a LW handle
That style blade was used with a G-10 handle many, many moons ago. There were also titanium and aluminum version released with that blade.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN