Police 4 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Glock27

Re: Police 4 LW

Post by Glock27 »

I would love to have a Waved version! I've been carrying a waved Endura since they came out.
Love the wave!

Bob
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Glock27 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am
I would love to have a Waved version! I've been carrying a waved Endura since they came out.
Love the wave!
Yes!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Looks like this is in stock at GP Knives!
-Nick :bug-red
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:38 pm
I "hate" this forum... ;) Does not make my life easier...
Now I am torn between Pac Salt, Police 4 LW, a possible Endela PE with blue scales, and then I saw that Siren.... tough times, really ;), and don´t tell me I should get all of them :D
Get all but the blue Endela!!

That help? I already have a Pacific Salt, but the Police FRN and Siren both are calling me. Urgently. Relentlessly. Desperately. If either comes out in full serrated edge then that will be it for sure. Until then it is very hard to decide!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm
Looks like this is in stock at GP Knives!
Thanks for the heads up. Just placed my order.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

What's the actual weight difference between the G10 and FRN versions? Some websites list it as only 0.1oz lighter. I'm guessing the the handle may be thicker as well?

Either way, I'm in for a blade swap with a coupon or used. The dark blue k390 version probably won't be seen for months.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

4.5 oz is what the scale says for the K390 Police4 with G-10 scales.

I'd imagine ~4.4 oz might be valid too. (+/- LSD)

Last edited by shunsui on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I was surprised to see the clip mounted the wrong way when i unboxed mine :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I believe the LW is 3.9oz or 4.1oz, so about a half ounce weight reduction.

Went to a few shops trying to buy one in person but they didn't have them in yet. Grabbed a Bow River instead :cool:
:unicorn
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

USPS says that my P4 LW is out for delivery.

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Cool addition to my wee Police squad :)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 pm
Cool addition to my wee Police squad :)

Pretty sweet man, this one just looks like one of the best ideas Spyderco has had in a while, and that's saying a lot!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

Just received an email from Knife Center stating that the Police 4 LW that I've had on order since 5/6/19 just shipped! I'm doing a Happy Dance!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Just opened my P4 LW. A couple of things jumped out at me. First, this knife is big! I mean, I read the stats and watched some videos on YT, but that is no substitute for holding it. If I could legally carry this thing, I don't think I would keep it in my front pocket. I'd consider keeping it in my back pocket, and I'd probably carry tip down (gasp!). Two, for a brand new lock back this thing is smooth. Much smoother that I remember my Endura being. Lock backs aren't considered "fidget friendly," I'll be opening and closing this thing nonstop. I really like the way it feels. Three, I think I miss the Boye detent. The lock isn't uncomfortable or hard to use, I just miss that indentation. I could locate the lock much easier. It's not a big deal at all, but I now know I prefer the Boye detent. And I won't consider adding my own. I don't want to mess it up. Finally, I sold my Endura because the handle wasn't as comfortable as I wanted. The P4 LW is great. With a handle that big, I think it would be hard to not find a comfortable grip (and I prefer the finger choil as well). Well done Sal and Spyderco.
sok

Post by sok »

Wow, that looks nice. I have always wanted a Police but was already invested in the Military, and the Police was a little heavier than what I preferred.

One of the first Spydercos that I owned was the Pacific Salt. I abused that thing, and my Sharpmaker got to where it wouldn’t keep it sharp anymore and it was time for a total reprofile. I wasn’t up to the challenge so I took a grinder to it and hacked a choil into it to see how that would work. I really liked how it turned out(ergonomically, not aesthetically because it looked like ****). Could this be the answer to my need for a Pacific Salt with a choil? I don’t live near saltwater.

My PS was serrated. I wonder if this will be an option for the P4 LW.

Does this knife have the partial liner like the Pacific Salt? My love for the lockback is due to its ease of cleaning when introduced to liquids. Is this thing pinned construction?

I am going to keep an eye on this one. I need a good beater for wet conditions. If it was serrated I would already have ordered one. I am fighting the urge to order one anyways.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

sok wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Does this knife have the partial liner like the Pacific Salt? My love for the lockback is due to its ease of cleaning when introduced to liquids. Is this thing pinned construction?
Full, nested liners that are milled.
sok

Post by sok »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:57 pm
sok wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Full, nested liners that are milled.
Thanks. That's not a deal breaker at all. I was just curious. So it will be a little sturdier and a little heavier than if it had the partial liners. Good to know.
sok

Post by sok »

It looks like it is sold out everywhere. I was just thinking the other day that nothing really interests me. This one ticks all the right boxes: four inches of VG-10 slicing goodness, lightweitght design with frn handle, Choil, lockback, etc.
Since my usage would be for fishing or some other activity that would get it wet, I am glad they started with VG-10. It is one of my favorite and most used steels. This could also be the Caly 4.5 I always wanted.
sok

Post by sok »

I just saw the thread of the non-lightweight with the liners getting a little surface rust. So much for this knife scratching the Pacific Salt itch. That would be too much to ask any way. I wonder how hard it is to take this knife apart. You don't have the lanyard hole to deal with.

I can't wait to get one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sok wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:18 pm
I just saw the thread of the non-lightweight with the liners getting a little surface rust. So much for this knife scratching the Pacific Salt itch. That would be too much to ask any way. I wonder how hard it is to take this knife apart. You don't have the lanyard hole to deal with.

I can't wait to get one.
The Police series is pretty easy to take apart. If you're looking for a knife to specifically use around water I'd consider another Pacific Salt or the upcoming Siren over the Police. VG10 is a great stainless steel but if a Police 4 LW spends all day getting wet, rust is possible.
:unicorn