Ladybug VG10 FFG

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T_MAC686

Ladybug VG10 FFG

Post by T_MAC686 »

Why is this not offered as a standard production option? I know you can get this one FFG in ZDP and all sprint variations, but the standard Ladybugs are mostly hollow ground, unlike the ManBug.

For those of you that have and use Ladybugs, do you see much a difference in performance between the hollow ground versions and the FFG versions? Which version of the ladybug would you recommend as your favorite?
sal

Re: Ladybug VG10 FFG

Post by sal »

Hi T-Mac,

The Ladybug is pretty thin stock for a FFG for the masses, in my opinion. I designed the Manbug with a thicker stock to be the FFG Ladybug. ZDP is an exception, but, again, in my opinion, folks buying ZDP are more conscious of the limitations.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:44 am
Why is this not offered as a standard production option? I know you can get this one FFG in ZDP and all sprint variations, but the standard Ladybugs are mostly hollow ground, unlike the ManBug.

For those of you that have and use Ladybugs, do you see much a difference in performance between the hollow ground versions and the FFG versions? Which version of the ladybug would you recommend as your favorite?
My wife's pink Ladybug is FFG VG-10, she loves that little knife! Keeps it in her pocket at work and uses it with reckless abandon...

It lives a hard life, but you wouldn't know by looking at it. That's good old Spyderco quality!

How about a Salt with FFG LC200N?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:26 pm
My wife's pink Ladybug is FFG VG-10
I believe they were a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive and I wanted to buy a few to put away as gifts for my granddaughters but shipping to Oz was ridiculous so I went without. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:02 pm
Hi T-Mac,

The Ladybug is pretty thin stock for a FFG for the masses, in my opinion. I designed the Manbug with a thicker stock to be the FFG Ladybug. ZDP is an exception, but, again, in my opinion, folks buying ZDP are more conscious of the limitations.

sal

I totally get that, and it makes sense to have variation in the line up to appeal to more people. I wonder if the success of the Chap lightweight would be enough to run production FFG ladybugs along with the hollow ground? It seems like there is enough support for 2mm blades with thin grinds here on the forum!

Sumdumguy wrote: How about a Salt with FFG LC200N?

Now that sounds like an amazing idea!! I would buy several of these to use and gift to friends and family! Along with a FFG Jester in LC200N ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi T-Mac,

sal
T_MAC686 wrote:
sal wrote:
I totally get that, and it makes sense to have variation in the line up to appeal to more people. I wonder if the success of the Chap lightweight would be enough to run production FFG ladybugs along with the hollow ground? It seems like there is enough support for 2mm blades with thin grinds here on the forum!
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sal, obviously and without the slightest doubt, you have at least a 100 times more experience concerning knives and how customers use and abuse them than I will ever have,

Still, since the Chap LW was mentioned here: Is it REALLY likely that a (rather short) 2mm stock blade is in danger to be broken by "the masses" / by not too counscious and experienced knife users?
I personally just can´t see that, after using my Chap LW quite hard, especially in the outdoors and woodwork. Sure I do not do silly "youtube-destruction-test-tasks" (some of which most slicing oriented folders could not take), but as said, a lot of "hard" knife-tasks (twisting and turning in hard wood and so on).
2 mm stock ffg works amazing, and in an even SMALLER knife than the Chap I personally just can´t see real problems---?! But, again, what do I know, despite my personal experience, which made me a believer in thin stock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

sal wrote:
Hi T-Mac,

sal
The zdp manbug is thinner than the others?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have used my ZDP Ladybug I bet more than some people use their full size knives. Whatever you're doing that breaks that blade would also likely break the pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:09 am
I have used my ZDP Ladybug I bet more than some people use their full size knives. Whatever you're doing that breaks that blade would also likely break the pivot.
I also carry one daily, I don't use it hard but it does get used.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:49 am
sal wrote:
Hi T-Mac,

sal
The zdp manbug is thinner than the others?
I think he means that the ZDP-189 Ladybug is the exception because it is FFG rather than hollow ground.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"