POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not buy one?

YES, got one, it´s great
16%
YES, got one, it´s ok-ish
2%
YES, got one, not really for me
No votes
YES, will certainly get one
6%
Thinking about getting one, not sure yet
21%
NO, not interested in the VG10 model but YES; certainly in variants (steel...)
14%
NO, not interested in the VG10 model but MAYBE in variants
10%
NO, not interested at all in that model
30%

Total votes: 154

Wartstein

POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by Wartstein »

Maybe a bit unusual and quite selfishly motivated, but I just wanted to somehow estimate, how well the Endela is selling since its release and consequently the chances of variants (color, steel...) coming soon.

I know that this forum really does not represent the main knife market and that such a poll has no statistical value whatsoever anyway. Still interesting, and polls are always fun... ;)

Just vote for what comes closest to what is true for you concerning the question. Obviously the first 4 voting options can only concern the current VG10 model, either in SE or PE.

EDIT: For those who HAVE already voted: You can always change your vote, for example from "thinking about getting one" to "got one"
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Re: POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'll buy an Endela eventually. I doubt it will be the VG-10 version, just because I have quite a few models in that steel already.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Notsurewhy

Re: POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by Notsurewhy »

Since they went all in and made frn molds, I'm thinking this one is hanging around, so I'm not too worried about getting one before they get discontinued. I can wait for a version i prefer. Nothing wrong with vg10/black frn, I'd just prefer something different.

Sal said they were going to do a run of the "endura family" in k390 possibly in dark blue. That would get me on board for sure.
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

I've been a Delica & Endura fan for a decade, and the Endela was a must purchase item for me. I normally and prefer to carry a Delica, but if I expect I might run into a bigger job I'll carry an Endura. I live in Texas and there are no legal issues over which one I carry. I consider the Endela a small Endura, not a large Delica. I'm sure there will be additional Endela models in the future, but I'm thinking mid-2020 and beyond. If you are torn between a Delica and an Endura, an Endela might be a better choice. I ordered a Police 4 LW when it was revealed along with the Endela. The Police 4 LW still has not been released four months after I put in my pre-order. Injection molds last a long time, and you need to sell a lot of parts to pay for them. if Spyderco thinks they can sell them, they will make other colors and blade-stock models for sure. When they become available will be the issue.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm mostly interested in the change in the grip, otherwise there are other models that I'd choose over it. I do appreciate that they're listening to grip complaints.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Definitely will get a sprint or exclusive eventually.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I definitely want to try one as there are times I want a slightly larger blade than a delica, but the enduras are just too big for me. I'd get the vg10 version in another color, or if they make a sprint it in a steel I want to try. Just not interested in black frn.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 am
I definitely want to try one as there are times I want a slightly larger blade than a delica, but the enduras are just too big for me. I'd get the vg10 version in another color, or if they make a sprint it in a steel I want to try. Just not interested in black frn.

As much as I like to recommend the Endela (really and totally unexpected, it became my most carried knife since I got it) :Be aware, it is MUCH closer to an Endura than to a Delica! When closed there really is not too much difference to the Endura in length. Still, it is a different (and great) feeling knife in use.

Another color? Another steel? I am sure you read the recent K390 threads concerning the Endura family... most likely with dark blue FRN handles... :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I just got an Endela SE. Mainly because I wanted a mid-sized FRN lockback that is both SE and FFG. The Endela is basically the only choice in the current lineup, and it works great in this role. There is definitely something special about its size and feel in hand. The lack of a finger choil is not an issue with SE, but I prefer PEs with one, so I'm less inclined to get one in PE. Availability of bright colored scales and/or exotic steels in the future might tempt me, though ;)
Last edited by Catamount123 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:20 am
I just got an Endela SE. Mainly because I wanted a mid-sized FRN lockback that is both SE and FFG. The Endela is basically the only choice in the current lineup, and it works great in this role. The lack of a finger choil is not an issue with SE, but I prefer PEs with one, so I'm less inclined to get one in PE. Availability of bright colored scales and/or exotic steels in the future might tempt me, though ;)
3mm stock VG10 in ffg and serrated works amazing, I was really blown away.
/ Concerning choils: As always I recommend: Give choking up on the Ricasso a chance, works perfectly fine, especially when putting the thumb on the side of the blade (ON the opening hole), rather than on the spine (though that works fine either). I do it all the time, maybe it is for you either?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am
JuPaul wrote:

As much as I like to recommend the Endela (really and totally unexpected, it became my most carried knife since I got it) :Be aware, it is MUCH closer to an Endura than to a Delica! When closed there really is not too much difference to the Endura in length. Still, it is a different (and great) feeling knife in use.

Another color? Another steel? I am sure you read the recent K390 threads concerning the Endura family... most likely with dark blue FRN handles... :)
Thanks for that info! I'm definitely interested in that k390/blue run! But I'll double check the specs before getting an endela. The endura is too big for me in the handle and blade, so maybe an endela isn't for me, either. Oh well, it's not like I don't have plenty of others. ;)
- Julia

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

It will be in my pocket mere days after it drops in K390.

I hasten to add that VG10 is just fine with me, but the Delica and Endura (I own both) have long had it.

I see the Endela as emerging from Sal's mature thought. I just want to acknowledge that with another steel he thinks appropriate (and can now offer by way of the Japan-EU trade agreement).

OK, OK. I'm reaching here but I need a story to tell my wife as cover for my need of more K390...
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:25 am
/ Concerning choils: As always I recommend: Give choking up on the Ricasso a chance, works perfectly fine, especially when putting the thumb on the side of the blade (ON the opening hole), rather than on the spine (though that works fine either). I do it all the time, maybe it is for you either?

Choking up on the ricasso does work better for me on the Endela than either the Endura or Delica, but it's still not a choil. My finger is just accustomed to, and wants to find, that choil. Again, I am talking PE. Not an issue at all with SE. I am also not bothered by the lack of a choil with alternate blade shapes (Wharncliffe, sheepsfoot, hawkbill, s-curve).
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am
JuPaul wrote:

Thanks for that info! I'm definitely interested in that k390/blue run! But I'll double check the specs before getting an endela. The endura is too big for me in the handle and blade, so maybe an endela isn't for me, either. Oh well, it's not like I don't have plenty of others. ;)

The Endela has almost the exact same length in handle and blade as the PM 2,it´s just both slimmer and lighter.

In the Endela-thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83925) are quite a few comparsion pics to other knives, for example on the pages 1, 2 and 4.
Here is a pic not I but forum member reject posted there (thanks, reject, and I hope it´s ok posting your pic here) - Police, Endura, Endela, Delica...

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:25 am

Choking up on the ricasso does work better for me on the Endela than either the Endura or Delica, but it's still not a choil. My finger is just accustomed to, and wants to find, that choil. Again, I am talking PE. Not an issue at all with SE. I am also not bothered by the lack of a choil with alternate blade shapes (Wharncliffe, sheepsfoot, hawkbill, s-curve).

Ok, I get that! Maybe with me it is just the other way round: I am VERY accustomed to choking up on the Ricasso... sonetimes I honestly feel it gives me more control than choking up on a dedicated choil (though I really like for example the not too deep and not too pronounced choil on the Stretch 1)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Missing a fitting category, I love VG-10, so no need for a variant steel just a variant shape, will buy a Wharncliffe version.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Thanks, guys! Those pics are really helpful. I actually really like the blade size of the pm2, I just don't have many pockets that will fit it completely, which irks me to no end. As for the Stretch, I actually have one, and I've been on the fence about keeping it. There's not any one thing I can point to that I really dislike, but it just doesn't sing to me like a delica does...maybe it's just too bulky-feeling for my taste. I'd see if the endela filled the size slot any better for me.
- Julia

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 am
Thanks, guys! Those pics are really helpful. I actually really like the blade size of the pm2, I just don't have many pockets that will fit it completely, which irks me to no end. As for the Stretch, I actually have one, and I've been on the fence about keeping it. There's not any one thing I can point to that I really dislike, but it just doesn't sing to me like a delica does...maybe it's just too bulky-feeling for my taste. I'd see if the endela filled the size slot any better for me.

I think it maybe will... pretty much Stretch 2 (two) size in length (both handle and blade), but sure less "bulky".
Stretch 1 (one) could be for you either ... shorter when closed than the Stretch 2, while actually having noticeable more edge...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 am
It will be in my pocket mere days after it drops in K390.

I hasten to add that VG10 is just fine with me, but the Delica and Endura (I own both) have long had it.

I see the Endela as emerging from Sal's mature thought. I just want to acknowledge that with another steel he thinks appropriate (and can now offer by way of the Japan-EU trade agreement).

OK, OK. I'm reaching here but I need a story to tell my wife as cover for my need of more K390...
Easy day! Just do what I do with my girlfriend. First show her your Spydie collection and tell her to take her pick whatever she likes best is hers.

Cost me a PM2 in S110V.

Hold her hand and look her in the eye honestly smile and say “makeup”, also does not hurt to shell out a couple hundred now and again on a make up pallet she has been drooling over, if makeup is not her thing then find what is and support that.

When your K390 Drops repeat “Makeup”
standy99

Post by standy99 »

It would not get a trip in the pocket as for this size the PM2 will always win.

Great idea by Spyderco to have a in between two classics sizes and similar price wise.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.