POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not buy one?

YES, got one, it´s great
16%
YES, got one, it´s ok-ish
2%
YES, got one, not really for me
No votes
YES, will certainly get one
6%
Thinking about getting one, not sure yet
21%
NO, not interested in the VG10 model but YES; certainly in variants (steel...)
14%
NO, not interested in the VG10 model but MAYBE in variants
10%
NO, not interested at all in that model
30%

Total votes: 154

Wartstein

Re: POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:03 pm
I'm interested if they make a liner-less salt version, and they keep the standard 3 hole clip screw pattern. If they switch to the same clip screw hole pattern as the Native 5 LW / Salt, then I'd be much less interested. If they make such a Salt version in bright green with un-coated LC200N, or all black in LC200N or H1, then I'd be very interested. I think Endela has a better chance of being made as a Salt than does the Stretch II LW, but I'd really rather have the Stretch as an LC200N Salt, or liner-less G10 in the standard steel, just like the Native 5. On that note, I'd also be interested in a liner-less G10 and VG10 Endela.

Cool idea!! But I don´t think the Endura-family will ever go back to linerless (in the sizes Delica and bigger of course) - not even for a special run...

I personally would really like to see linerless versions of my favorite Spyderco family!! Most times I like the feel and a-bit-more-weight of linered FRN-knives (as far as they are STILL rather light, lets say not more than 100 g (around 3.6 oz I guess), but I don´t think that liners are really NEEDED (maybe for long time durability of the pivot or the like? Don´t know...)
But as a mountaineer there are occasions when I habitually go for the lightest gear (that´s still functional) available, then linerless is great.
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z4vdBt

Re: POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by z4vdBt »

It's now (one of my) EDC. The others? Delica Wharncliffe and PM2.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Yep,got mine.Hope it will be a blue one in the future.And a wharnie.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I bought an Endela and agree it is the perfect in-betweener but I really want to try one in K390 or maybe even in G-10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:37 am
Yep, I am waiting for blue scales too... lost an Endura in that color some time ago, hope I can replace it with an EndELa PE in that color, since I have several Enduras anyway, but just one EndELa (SE)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:17 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Yep, I am waiting for blue scales too... lost an Endura in that color some time ago, hope I can replace it with an EndELa PE in that color, since I have several Enduras anyway, but just one EndELa (SE)
You like the serrations?I never had a fully serrated folder.I have a half/half Tenacious,but it's not my favorite.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I hate the fact that it's closer in size to the Endura but I'll get a serrated one just because I am a sucker for spyderedges. I shall probably mod it with a straight spine and a pointy tip but I doubt it will replace my wharnie SE Delica. We shall se...
Last edited by elena86 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Definitely won’t replace your SE wharnie, but it’s a very nice knife. In my pocket right now. SE.
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 pm
Definitely won’t replace your SE wharnie, but it’s a very nice knife. In my pocket right now. SE.

Looking forward to your comparative between the two.. . maybe a "action movie"
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:17 am
spyderwolf wrote:
You like the serrations?I never had a fully serrated folder.I have a half/half Tenacious,but it's not my favorite.

Man, I was really blown away by how serrations work in an ffg blade... Had I realized this earlier, I think more than 50 % of my Spydies would have serrations...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:17 pm
I hate the fact that it's closer in size to the Endura but I'll get a serrated one just because I am a sucker for spyderedges. I shall probably mod it with a straight spine and a pointy tip but I doubt it will replace my wharnie SE Delica. We shall se...
As much as I am delighted with the performance of the 3mm ffg serrated Endela blade, I also doubt very much it will outcut the 2.5 mm Wharnie SE blade...
C99c

Post by C99c »

I'll probably buy one soon in SE. If it were offered in combo edge I would already have one.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

C99c wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:23 am
I'll probably buy one soon in SE. If it were offered in combo edge I would already have one.

Be aware that on the SE Endela the section of plain edge towards the tip is rather long compared to other SE knives: 1.6 cm, I guess that's about 0.63 inches of plain edge before the serrations begin.

So, sure not a real combo edge, but with that amount of PE you can do a lot of "plain edge tasks". Though meanwhile I think, ffg SE can do almost anything PE can and more...
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

It's rather vanilla for me...I probably will get one at some point, but I have other items I'm interested in before I grab one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rwasham wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:02 pm
It's rather vanilla for me...I probably will get one at some point, but I have other items I'm interested in before I grab one.
I'd say if you like PM2 sized folders but also backlocks, you would not regret getting one..
For the money (and not only for the money...) you get a great workhorse of a knife.

And I'd strongly recommend the SE version: As far as I am aware of, there are not too many non-wharnie options of serrations in rather thin ffg blades. And this works amazingly well.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I got one, and I like it, but I think my usage will really take off when they are released in a steel I haven't really had the chance to try yet, like Hap 40 or K390.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'll get a Cruwear Endela if they make one to follow the recent Delica.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

carrot wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:37 am
I got one, and I like it, but I think my usage will really take off when they are released in a steel I haven't really had the chance to try yet, like Hap 40 or K390.
PE or SE? If PE, get an SE too... :D
carrot

Post by carrot »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:13 am
carrot wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:37 am
PE or SE? If PE, get an SE too... :D
PE, but I keep wishing I picked it up in SE. I've seen some nice pictures of the Endela with a SpyderEdge and it looks like one heck of a cutter.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

When I next need a utility-level folder, that's the one. But the Spydies I've got now are pretty tough beasts. It may take a while.