Now's The Time: For A New Style Of Hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Now's The Time: For A New Style Of Hawkbill

Post by JD Spydo »

With Spyderco virtually having the market more or less sowed up in the sector of Hawkbill blades ( mainly folders) I think it might just be time for them to try a new style of Hawkbill folder ( or even a fixed blade unit). It's a given that Hawkbill blades do their ultimate best work with serrated edges. The patented SpyderEdge seems to really shine with a Hawkbill blade. The Hawkbill blade can do jobs that are difficult with most other blade designs.

The pull cutting advantages of a Hawkbill blade are now well documented. I've been wondering for quite a while how a Hawkbill blade would do in other types of "grinds" for instance. I think a larger Hawkbill like a Spyderhawk for instance would probably perform really well in a full flat grind.
Not only to consider different grinds but maybe even look into different serration patterns as well.

I'm sure that all of you who are Hawkbill fans have your own ideas as to what you think would make a better Hawkbill blade. Maybe even try some of the supersteel blades. Personally I've been wanting a G-10 handled Hawkbill for some time now. OK what do you all think would make a Hawkbill blade better to use?
legOFwhat?

Re: Now's The Time: For A New Style Of Hawkbill

Post by legOFwhat? »

Full flat grind Spyderhawk Sprint in LC200n would be an instant buy for me. I don't go into the yard without my Spyderhawk, it loves being in the cut.

Edit: Bright handle color of course. I'd even take VG-10 as the blade steel...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

oh dang, FFG LC200n spyderhawk would be amaaaaaaaaaazing.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am
Full flat grind Spyderhawk Sprint in LC200n would be an instant buy for me. I don't go into the yard without my Spyderhawk, it loves being in the cut.

Edit: Bright handle color of course. I'd even take VG-10 as the blade steel...
This man knows of what he speaks!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:25 pm
This man knows of what he speaks!
;)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I tend to like smaller hawkbills and I have been pushing for a FFG hawkbill dragonfly, or Lil Native. Linerless LC200N Salt in a color besides yellow would be a big plus. But I also would like kne with a steel like K390, Rex45, 4V, Maxamet, M4, Cruwear, S90V, S110V, SuperBlue, ZDP-189, heck S30V.

A small curved blade is an incredibly practical and useful tool. I wouldn't be against a larger hawkbill though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:51 am
oh dang, FFG LC200n spyderhawk would be amaaaaaaaaaazing.
It's just flat out time for a new generation of Hawkbills for Spyderco. This suggestion of a Spyderhawk in full flat grind in LC200N would most certainly be a big step in the right direction.

We've had the same style and same generation of Hawkbills for so long now. This would really appeal to someone who buys the C-36 Military or Para2 both in a supersteel blade. And many of us who have already had the standard Harpy and FRN handled Spyderhawk are all ready to move the Hawkbill blades up a few notches.

Or how about bringing the Merlin model out of retirement with a Titanium handle. Yeah you guys are confirming that we need a new generation of Hawkbills :cool:
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Is it that time of year again JD? Hopefully this year it works.
;)

We've heard the PM2 is being used as a platform for new blade shapes. That has me excited about the possibility of a Superhawk/Spyderhawk evolution, or regrinding a Wharncliffe PM2 if not.

Does anyone else remember the Superhawk?

I was disappointed at how shallow the tip and edge angle was and how big the handle was, and I don't think it even sold in SE. Add a serrated beer belly for push cuts, shrink it 20% and keep the street price under $180 and I'm in (even if the steel is just S30, XHP or VG10). Hopefully using the PM2 makes it possible to do that without breaking the bank, like the Spyderhawk.

A hawkbill PM3 (or better, with a reverse S) would hit the sweet spot for me, but I know many are using these hawks as rope cutters and garden tools where the extra length is valuable.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Superhawk is possibly the widest folded knife I've ever seen.

I would be interested in hawkbill variants of existing models...a hawkbill Manix 2 would definitely get my attention.

JD I know it's not exactly a hawkbill but you should look into the Endura wharnie. I have good feelings about that blade. The negative angle should make it pull cut like a champ.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Police 4 LW hawkbill or how about a native hawkbill? You can call it the tomahawk...
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:02 pm
The Superhawk is possibly the widest folded knife I've ever seen.
I forgot about that part. It really did seem like they were designing the blade nominally to spec (Give us a compression lock knife with a pruning hook blade!) but with the restriction that it had to fit in the SuperLeaf handle.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I am working on three Boomerangs at the moment. ( fixed blade )
Not folders, I know, but bendy edges just the same... :)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm
I suppose the sheath would be tricky for a fixed blade....but I'd take a fixed hawkbill in a second.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
That sounds good!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:28 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
I suppose the sheath would be tricky for a fixed blade....but I'd take a fixed hawkbill in a second.
YES! Make it 4 to 5 inches long, full tang like the Jumpmaster 2, and like everything else, I'll start saving my pennies for it. Make the blade strong enough for a thrust as well as a slash!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

One of these would be cool, just add a Spydie hole lol

SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

Imagine a tatanka based salt series hawkbill with se. Could call it the raptorhawk.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

My sheathing system works for curved edges like an open blade Civilian in a SOB sheath.
I am using D2, because I have some, not because it is my first choice.

Anyway, I am expermenting, so in due course, I will show a pic or two.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

SaltSerious wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:41 am
Imagine a tatanka based salt series hawkbill with se. Could call it the raptorhawk.
heck, i'd buy it on the name alone!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

SaltSerious wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:41 am
If it's salt based it'd be more practical for it to be based off of the catcherman. Not to mention a lot easier to make since the mold is still around somewhere.