Ceramic Detents?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Ceramic Detents?

Post by zhyla »

I imagine if the ball is wearing less that just means the blade is wearing more. Maybe that works out to the same useful life, I dunno, but you can replace a worn detente but replacing a blade isn’t practical.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:04 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Can anyone answer my question about how a steel ball is changed out for a ceramic one?
I've never done it but I assume they're just pressed in and out. The hole that the ball seats into goes all the way through the blade, there is a smaller hole on the back side that you can use to press the ball out if you use some kind of very small punch. I have no idea what size ball to get though. If you're on Instagram talk to rs-travis, I know he's done it a bunch and can probably tell you all you need to know.
Oh hmm, I guess I can see that now in ur first few pics, I never really knew how that looked without one. That interesting though, thanks

The hole you'd use is on the other side of the detent ball, on the back side of the lock bar. I suppose if you have a decent set of calipers you could just pop it out and measure it and order a ceramic equivalent.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:02 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:53 am
I'm a fan of them, but on a case-by-case basis. They can definitely help when trying to prevent flattening on the especially wear-resistant steels, but at the same time it's a lot easier to replace a flattened steel ball than it is a worn detent hole.

My policy right now is keeping the steel until I need to replace it. Then, depending on use patterns, the knife may get a ceramic upgrade or just a normal steel replacement.
Very interesting. Did you happen to notice if there was any kind of indentation in that spot when it was new, or is that entirely from wear?
new detents are perfectly round in my experience. Also, due to the shape (sphere) it's very difficult to actually deform the detent ball via force, even with a press. Thus any change in the shape is most likely due to abrasion.
zhyla wrote: I imagine if the ball is wearing less that just means the blade is wearing more. Maybe that works out to the same useful life, I dunno, but you can replace a worn detente but replacing a blade isn’t practical.
that's where I'm at now.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:03 am
The hole you'd use is on the other side of the detent ball, on the back side of the lock bar. I suppose if you have a decent set of calipers you could just pop it out and measure it and order a ceramic equivalent.
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:09 am
new detents are perfectly round in my experience. Also, due to the shape (sphere) it's very difficult to actually deform the detent ball via force, even with a press. Thus any change in the shape is most likely due to abrasion.
That's interesting thank y'all, I was wondering about the shape of the detent ball when I looked again at your pictures EvilD, and it seemed (wrongly, obviously) to me that, given the width of the bladestock, the ball might actually be a cylinder with hemispherical ends. In other words, the tang seemed too thick for such a small spherical ball to protrude from the hole enough to seat itself in the detent when the lock is engaged. But then that seemed odd to me, mainly because I've never heard anyone refer to the detent ball being that shape. And thanks to Curlyhairboy for reiterating that it IS in fact spherical; I guess mine own eyes deceived me lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara