Another Lil’ Native idea......

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Another Lil’ Native idea......

Post by benben »

Sitting in church today fiddling with my Lil’ Native (my wife just loves that) it dawned on me that this would be an awesome little knife with a wharncliffe blade! Or I should say MORE awesome!
JuPaul

Re: Another Lil’ Native idea......

Post by JuPaul »

A dragonfly wc has been on my list on a long time...might get bumped off by that one!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've been saying it needs a hawkbill blade for while. Wharncliffe would be cool too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wharnie lil native comp lock sounds great
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've imagined one with a Dodo blade.

Wharnie could be interesting, but I'm saving my Wharncliffe spot for this Yojumbo I keep hearing about!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A wharncliffe blade might be ok. The blade is short with a short cutting edge. I’d be interested to see a prototype.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Honestly as much as i love my lil native, I'd only want to see a wharncliffe version if either they thinned out the blade stock or gave it a hollow grind.
benben

Post by benben »

Marulaghost wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:10 am
Honestly as much as i love my lil native, I'd only want to see a wharncliffe version if either they thinned out the blade stock or gave it a hollow grind.
I'm all for the hollow grind!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I want a reverse-curve Lil’ Native...

Oh, wait! No, I don’t.

You want a small wharnie? Have you looked at the Manbug Salt. Having a wharnified thinnned-out work-hardened SE blade, the thing’s a monster cutter in a diminutive package. And if you were to straighten out all its scallops, you probably end up with the edge-length of a wharnified PE Lil’ Native.

I say leave the Lil’ Native’s blade shape as is.

And I would ask, must every model have the very same treatments as every other model? The permutations would surely drive Spyderco out of business.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
benben

Post by benben »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:54 am

Oh, wait! No, I don’t.

You want a small wharnie? Have you looked at the Manbug Salt. Having a wharnified thinnned-out work-hardened SE blade, the thing’s a monster cutter in a diminutive package. And if you were to straighten out all its scallops, you probably end up with the edge-length of a wharnified PE Lil’ Native.

And I would ask, must every model have the very same treatments as every other model? The permutations would surely drive Spyderco out of business.
Merely a suggestion from an observation I made! I don't think there's a chance that my one suggestion of grinding a less than 2.5" piece of steel differently on a model that's already in production of putting Spyderco in jeopardy of driving them out of business.

If they were to do it and it sold well, great, if not they'd stop producing it! Spyderco makes knives, they grind steel, it's what they do!
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Personally I don't see the appeal of a wharncliffe blade any bigger than the Delica, unless you're talking SD in which case there's the Yojimbo which is still relatively small.

One of the reasons I haven't bought a Lil Native thus far is the blade shape - all that belly on such a short blade doesn't work for me. I'd be much more inclined to buy a wharncliffe version.

One observation, though: the geometry of the Lil Native handle would seem to make fitting a wharncliffe blade in pretty challenging without adding a big hump to the spine... kinda at odds with the whole DNA of the Native family.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:54 am

Oh, wait! No, I don’t.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I didn't think anyone was suggesting changing the shape of the lil native. The leaf shape blade will still be available for purchase. What's the harm in other blade shapes also being available? Drive Spyderco out of business? I sincerely doubt it. Which brings me to my next point, why have multiple blade shapes on the lil native platform? Because people want them and will buy them. It's a G-10 USA made platform with great ergos, why would you not want to expand on that?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:34 pm
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
As are you.

We just disagree in our claims.

I suppose Eric would have introduced a wharnie version (he still might) if he’d thought the market warranted the retooling costs. But he chose to emphasize what he thought his masterpiece should be.

That’s good enough for me, but, then, I’m here for what Sal and Eric are offering, not for what others are asking, often before a model even drops.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Actually, a high thin hollow grind like that on th Cold Steel offering would be quite ok, now that I think on it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:32 pm
I've imagined one with a Dodo blade.
I'd be all over that. There's already the Cricket for a small reverse-s blade, but I would love to have one with a Compression lock.