Sal: Can we have another run of the Caspian Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Sal: Can we have another run of the Caspian Salt?

Post by The Meat man »

Having recently become a certified Scuba diver and diehard Spyderco enthusiast, I would love to see this unique Spyderco dive knife revived. It looks like such a perfect design - secure, tough, effective and utterly rust proof.
Unlike 99% of dive knives on the market, it's not titanium or 304 stainless which aren't designed for good edges. It's not 420 series stainless which while having better edge properties can still rust.
The H-1 steel in CE with line cutter and solid ergonomics make this a winner in my opinion, and far above any other dive knife available today. I'd buy two in a heartbeat.

Sal, we need to bring this one back! If even for a limited run. It's too good a product to be allowed to fade into obscurity. ;)

Anyone else with me on this?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Re: Sal: Can we have another run of the Caspian Salt?

Post by Sumdumguy »

If it were made in LC200N, I'm in!
If it were H1 again, I'd probably pass.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:14 pm
I'd go for either. I'm perfectly fine with H-1 though if it would be easier/ cheaper for Spyderco.

Really, this knife perfectly fills a niche that no other current Spyderco does. I'm kinda bummed I missed the original run but I'm hoping that we might see a return. Please? :o :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
attila

Post by attila »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:14 pm
I also prefer (strongly) LC200N but wouldn't pass up H1 if it was the only option.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

We need a photo.

- Connor

NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Seems the blade shape and H1 are unique and ideal for a dive knife. Not sure about the big hole in the handle as to how useful that might be. Never considered weight saving a feature for a dive knife since a little weight is helpful for snorkeling and insignificant when scuba diving with lead weights and buoyancy vest/dry suit. Perhaps a more traditional handle? The option for a blunt prying tip is important as a dive knife needs to be able to quickly cut ropes, nets, lines, and hoses, but also is often used as the only prying tool readily at hand.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I still keep mine attached to my BCD.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:24 pm
Seems the blade shape and H1 are unique and ideal for a dive knife. Not sure about the big hole in the handle as to how useful that might be.
I understood that it was a finger hole similar to what the Swick has but I could be wrong.
- Connor

PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I have a Caspian Salt. It looks interesting and different but for me, didn’t work as a dive knife, primarily because of the sheath.

Looking at the photo Meatman posted, the sheath lashing points are too close together. Lashed to a BC, I found the handle lifted up and away from the BC and created a snagging risk (line trap). Strapped to your leg or arm, same story.

The sheath is also pretty tight and even without getting sand in it scratched the blade more than I was comfortable with (even for a work tool). That button release didn’t work for me, particularly wearing gloves.

I found the Enuff Salt to be a far superior design for diving. The handle still lifts when lashed to a BC but not as badly and quite honestly I don’t need a line cutter if the blade is serrated. It doesn’t look as cool as the Caspian but is, in my experience, much more practical. YMMV
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Conner,

We'll consider it and watch the thread. It's Expensive. Which blade shape would you prefer? Point or blunt?

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:59 pm
Hi Conner,

We'll consider it and watch the thread. It's Expensive. Which blade shape would you prefer? Point or blunt?

sal

Thanks for considering! Point would be my preference but I'd be fine with blunt too.
- Connor

atv223

Post by atv223 »

I'm definitely in on this one! Mu preference is the blunt tip.

I got really lucky and picked a Caspian Salt 2 blunt tip up off of eBay a couple years ago before I got into collecting Spyderco's. I didn't even fully realize what I was buying at the time and impulse bought it for about $170. I was intending to strap in on my PFD for kayak fishing. Then I realized how rare it is and decided to not make it a user. When the do pop up on eBay from time to time, they are like $300 these days.

I know the kayak fishing community would be interested.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I could see this happening if the new Swick does really well. They're a similar design. There was already some interest expressed in a longer bladed Swick in that thread. Although it was designed as a specialty tool, I wonder how well the Caspian works for general utility use.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm
I could see this happening if the new Swick does really well. They're a similar design. There was already some interest expressed in a longer bladed Swick in that thread. Although it was designed as a specialty tool, I wonder how well the Caspian works for general utility use.
There's a new Swick? I must have missed this.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

atv223 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:50 pm
I'm definitely in on this one! Mu preference is the blunt tip.

I got really lucky and picked a Caspian Salt 2 blunt tip up off of eBay a couple years ago before I got into collecting Spyderco's. I didn't even fully realize what I was buying at the time and impulse bought it for about $170. I was intending to strap in on my PFD for kayak fishing. Then I realized how rare it is and decided to not make it a user. When the do pop up on eBay from time to time, they are like $300 these days.

I know the kayak fishing community would be interested.

Yeah this would be an excellent knife for any sort of water activity, not just diving.
- Connor

sailhand

Post by sailhand »

Caspian salt in lc200n would be a definite must have for me. I think i suggested something similar or a swick with a slightly longer blade some time ago. Cant wait for the lc200n swick. A dragonfly exclusive in lc200n or even a ukpk. The lc200n mules I have are great. Keep up the good work Spyderco and Sal, great knives in great steels, couldn't ask for more.
iolaire

Post by iolaire »

Well, this is interesting enough to get me to finally register after having lurked here for so long.

I'd be interested in a blunt-tipped version; my dive knives are intended to be used as rescue knives, and I want to be able to run the tip under straps close to people's skin without worrying about slicing them up. I have a spyderhawk salt that often comes out with me on various water-related activities, but the point is wickedly sharp and I certainly wouldn't want to be using that as a rescue knife in a tricky situation.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

For a look at the interest of the Caspian from the other side, here is a thread from another forum:

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk ... lf-rescue/