recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monty
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby Monty » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:07 pm

If you were going to recommend one Spyderco knife to a knife enthusiast, someone with Benchmades, Hinderer, ZT, Microtech, customs etc... What model past or present would you choose? This is mostly for fun, but I'm also birthday shopping and looking for ideas. I'm currently thinking Police 4.

ETA... It's not for my birthday, that will be the cruwear Shaman... hopefully.
Last edited by Monty on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby Spydergirl88 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Gayle Bradley 2
Smock
Kapara
Nirvana

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby Tucson Tom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:15 pm

The PM2 is always the first thing that comes to my mind as a first Spyderco.

User avatar
JonLeBlanc
Member
Posts: 1339
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby JonLeBlanc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Monty wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:07 pm
If you were going to recommend one Spyderco knife to a knife enthusiast, someone with Benchmades, Hinderer, ZT, Microtech, customs etc... What model past or present would you choose? This is mostly for fun, but I'm also birthday shopping and looking for ideas. I'm currently thinking Police 4.
You would probably love the Police 4, mostly because it's lovable, but you can't go wrong with any Golden, CO model, such as PM2, Native, Manix etc... So much to chose from, so much to suggest!

Do let us know what your decision comes to!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 2615
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby Mushroom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:58 pm

I think a knife enthusiast with that experience would really enjoy the Drunken, but it's a pricey option. They might also like the Gayle Bradley Advocate, which is a nice flipper option.
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby Spydergirl88 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:58 pm
I think a knife enthusiast with that experience would really enjoy the Drunken, but it's a pricey option. They might also like the Gayle Bradley Advocate, which is a nice flipper option.
Great suggestions!

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4639
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby Bloke » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:16 pm

The Mighty Military would be my pick. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

soc_monki
Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby soc_monki » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:29 pm

Amalgam, PM2, or Manix 2, which is what I own!
Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman
Kershaw : Tone, Cryo 2, Thermite, Atmos, Natrix 7007cf, Natrix 7008cf, Bareknuckle 7777, Bareknuckle 20cv, Concierge, 7777CFM390 Bareknuckle
Zero Tolerance : 0566CF, 0770CF, 0770GRYBW, 0562CF, 0470, 0456CF, 0095BW, 0801TI
Ontario : Rat 1
CRKT : Caligo
Civivi : Plethiros, Baklash, Incite, Vexer
Cold Steel : AD10, 4Max Scout, SR1 Lite
Benchmade : 810-1401 Contego, 15080-2 Crooked River, 15080-Custom Crooked River, 560BK-1 Super Freek, 15085 Mini Crooked River, 15085-Custom Mini Crooked River, 940-2, 550-1 Griptilian, 950bk Rift, 940-1, Custom Sheepsfoot Griptilian
Buck : 110, Bucklite 422, 110 LT, 110 Slim Select, 112 Slim Pro, Custom 110, 1978-79 110
Artisan : Tradition
Hogue : Ritter RSK MK1-G2
Kabar : Becker BK2 Campanion

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby ZrowsN1s » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:42 pm

Fluted Carbon Fiber Native in S90V can stand shoulder to shoulder with anything, great material, fit and finish, design, and steel. And it's a production knife so they are readily available for a reasonable price (around $230)

You could also get him one of Spyderco's production super steel offerings. Even with high end knives from some of the other companies you mentioned, he won't have steels like these....
S110V Para3 (or S110V Military, Manix, Native, PM2), Maxamet Manix Lightweight (or Maxamet Native lightweight) , K390 Police4, there's also still some ZDP-189 Caly's and ZDP-189 G-10 Stretch's floating around at some dealers.

Design wise the Shaman is my favorite. The S30V version will stand up to any work knife he's got.

Hope that helps :D
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9297
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby Doc Dan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Delica. There is a G10 version out there. I changed from all the ones the OP mention to Spyderco because of the humble Delica.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby koenigsegg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:52 pm

I would get the Kapara I think it's probably the best thing they're making at the moment under $200, police I've heard has a pretty rough finish from factory
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby ZrowsN1s » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:50 pm
Delica. There is a G10 version out there. I changed from all the ones the OP mention to Spyderco because of the humble Delica.
Great suggestion! It slipped my mind that you can still get the Fradon Lock (Safe and Lock Store) Carbon Fiber Delica with Hap40. (Not the humblest of Delicas, but a very fine knife worthy of any collection).
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:52 pm
I would get the Kapara I think it's probably the best thing they're making at the moment under $200, police I've heard has a pretty rough finish from factory
I've heard there were some issues, mine was great other than needing a drop of oil and proper sharpening.
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby koenigsegg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:03 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:54 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:52 pm
I would get the Kapara I think it's probably the best thing they're making at the moment under $200, police I've heard has a pretty rough finish from factory
I've heard there were some issues, mine was great other than needing a drop of oil and proper sharpening.
I got one from the second wave directly from SFO aside from the centering being slightly off I can't fault it. My last few Taichung models have been laser sharp, the Ikuchi and now Kapara. The scales are super smooth and feel great in the hand I haven't been carrying much else since I got it.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN

User avatar
Naperville
Member
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 am
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby Naperville » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Native 5 in Maxamet.
Spyderco Collection: Military (S110V), Bob Lum Darn Dao(CPM-154), Yojimbo 2 (1 in S30V & 2 in 20CV), Sustain(20CV), Native 5(Maxamet), Jumpmaster 2(H1), Province(4V). SHORT LIST: CF Shaman(S90V), Native Chief, Street Bowie(4V at 60+ HRC), Nightstick, Yojumbo.

wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby wrdwrght » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:09 pm

What is the knife meant to do?

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby ZrowsN1s » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:21 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:03 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:54 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:52 pm
I would get the Kapara I think it's probably the best thing they're making at the moment under $200, police I've heard has a pretty rough finish from factory
I've heard there were some issues, mine was great other than needing a drop of oil and proper sharpening.
I got one from the second wave directly from SFO aside from the centering being slightly off I can't fault it. My last few Taichung models have been laser sharp, the Ikuchi and now Kapara. The scales are super smooth and feel great in the hand I haven't been carrying much else since I got it.
I've had an issue with a previous Taichung release, but the Kapara was flawless. Are they even in stock anywhere though? *edit* I see DLT still has them. That's where I got mine.
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 2997
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby JuPaul » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:24 pm

I third the delica! But if you want something truly unique, the smock is a good call, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 4624
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby TkoK83Spy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm

If talking about the Delica, I think the KC exclusive with the Pakkawood scales is the top of the line for the Delica (if still available)
19 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF

-Rick

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18880
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:15 pm
The PM2 is always the first thing that comes to my mind as a first Spyderco.
I think the PM 2 for a "non-Spyderco" knife fan would be about as universal of a design that I could also recommend.

One in the past that I thought fit that description was the old ROOKIE model. For years I've thought it was one model that most any knife lover could really like for an every day user.

User avatar
JonLeBlanc
Member
Posts: 1339
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Postby JonLeBlanc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:25 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:08 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:15 pm
The PM2 is always the first thing that comes to my mind as a first Spyderco.
I think the PM 2 for a "non-Spyderco" knife fan would be about as universal of a design that I could also recommend.

One in the past that I thought fit that description was the old ROOKIE model. For years I've thought it was one model that most any knife lover could really like for an every day user.
Aww man I so wish the Rookie was still around! Not that I was around to see it, but at any rate... :rolleyes:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Enactive, Google [Bot], prndltech, sirosis1971, skeeg11 and 42 guests