Manix 2 lightweight choices or ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
grubetown

Manix 2 lightweight choices or ?

Post by grubetown »

My current EDC - mini grip sheepsfoot, Chaparral, Southern Grind Spider Monkey and Buck Marksman Gray Ghost
I’m strongly interested in a Manix 2 lightweight. Looking at S110V blade. Should I get this one or wait for another Sprint run in some other blade material?

Related - I’m left handed, so do I require a PM2 lefty in my collection?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.
Last edited by grubetown on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Re: Manix 2 lightweight choices or ?

Post by steelcity16 »

Don't count on another sprint/exclusive anytime soon. I don't know why, but the LW doesn't get a lot of love in that area, even though I like this model more than the PM2, Para 3, G10 Manix, and most other knives. If you like S90V, and orange, and DLC, you may want to email Cutlery Shoppe and see if they are still planning on getting some in that combo. Last I heard, that was supposed to be in the works. Other than that, you could go with the S110V if you enjoy that steel. I have the BD1 version in the translucent blue FRCP. Nice steel for my uses and I like the look of the translucent blue.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Nate

Post by Nate »

grubetown wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Related - I’m left handed, so do I require a PM2 lefty in my collection?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Imo, yes on the lefty pm2. Having the lock reversed made an even bigger difference than I thought it would.

I guess the downsides are you can't get it in any sprint steels and it might spoil you against regular comp locks, but I bought 2 of the lefties and haven't looked back.

(I have several g10 Manix 2 sprints too btw, nice knives. Can't comment on the lw as I never got around to one.)
:spyder:
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Lefty here. I have no trouble using a “right handed” PM2. I was planning on picking up a lefty but then they put out a Cruwear model and well CRUWEAR! I also have a Cruwear Manix 2 from a few years back, (it was my first Spydie actually). I would choose it over the lw any day, but I’m not a fan of 110v. My only experience with it was that it was the chippiest steel I’ve ever used, (Native 5). I don’t know what the lw model feels like but my full steel lined ,(skeletonized) version has probably the most solid feel of any of my folders. That, to me goes very well with the other attributes of the Manix.
As a lefty, I recommend the Smock, the button works absolutely perfect left handed.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

As others have said, seems like there aren't many sprints/exclusives of the lw manix. You might check on ebay or other swap and sells for the brown frn/xhp exclusive. I got mine on ebay for about the original sale price.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

The S90v version from CS is the one I would hold out for. I have the original pinned BD1, S110v and the CS one. They're my favorite Spyderco's but I do wish we could get a few more versions in other steels. S90v takes a toothy edge and holds it for a long time. It's hard for me to get S110v to do that like I prefer. BD1 is easy to sharpen but I do not like edge holding of it at all.
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:04 pm
Lefty here. I have no trouble using a “right handed” PM2. I was planning on picking up a lefty but then they put out a Cruwear model and well CRUWEAR! I also have a Cruwear Manix 2 from a few years back, (it was my first Spydie actually). I would choose it over the lw any day, but I’m not a fan of 110v. My only experience with it was that it was the chippiest steel I’ve ever used, (Native 5). I don’t know what the lw model feels like but my full steel lined ,(skeletonized) version has probably the most solid feel of any of my folders. That, to me goes very well with the other attributes of the Manix.
As a lefty, I recommend the Smock, the button works absolutely perfect left handed.
Thanks. Spider Monkey is carbon fiber so Smock probably isn't on the list.

Are the special steel Manix knives all skeletonized?
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 pm
As others have said, seems like there aren't many sprints/exclusives of the lw manix. You might check on ebay or other swap and sells for the brown frn/xhp exclusive. I got mine on ebay for about the original sale price.
Thanks. There was a brown just sold on another forum. Should have jumped on it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There was a time not long ago when S110V was one of the hottest and most lusted after sprint options. Don't be turned off by the fact that this one is standard production.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

grubetown wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:09 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Thanks. There was a brown just sold on another forum. Should have jumped on it.
I'm sure another will pop up soon if you want to wait. If ease of sharpening is a concern for you then xhp would probably be a better choice (I don't own any s90v for that reason, but from what I've read it can be a PITA to sharpen). One nice thing about the manix model not being quite as popular as the pm2 is that they don't usually seem to have the same insane markups on the secondary market, even for sprints/exclusives.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Depending on your sharpening skills, what you plan on using it for, or what you feel like spending...in the LW format, you really cant go wrong with the BD1 models (Satin or DLC) I have the DLC model and is a dedicated camping knife and Iove it for a hair over $100. Takes quite a bit of abuse, but also touches up very quickly...though I am ready to reprofile it in the next few months, which I'm thinking should be fairly easy. Just my 2 cents, it's a great model for a pretty low price.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

That dark blue FRN is perfect, and S110v might be too depending on who you ask. I vote buy now think later :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have the xhp exclusive from knifecenter and i love it. that said i would personally steer clear of s110v because i prefer steels that are easy to sharpen. i know spyderco is slowly replacing bd1 with bd1n in the manix 2 lw. maybe you could call around and find one of those. otherwise, i don’t see any sprints or other production versions coming. i’d love one in lc200n though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 pm
Depending on your sharpening skills, what you plan on using it for, or what you feel like spending...in the LW format, you really cant go wrong with the BD1 models (Satin or DLC) I have the DLC model and is a dedicated camping knife and Iove it for a hair over $100. Takes quite a bit of abuse, but also touches up very quickly...though I am ready to reprofile it in the next few months, which I'm thinking should be fairly easy. Just my 2 cents, it's a great model for a pretty low price.
Thanks. Plan is to use the knife for something in between fixed blade hard use and the regular day to day stuff. I’m a beginning sharpener.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

grubetown wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:16 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 pm
Thanks. Plan is to use the knife for something in between fixed blade hard use and the regular day to day stuff. I’m a beginning sharpener.
I'm not a pro sharpener either, so I avoid s90v and s110v. Xhp hasn't given me any problems in my manix, though. I also have bd1 in the alcyone and it's even easier to sharpen. I can't really attest to it's toughness (I haven't used mine beyond general around the house stuff), but at under $100 for the bd1 lw manix, you could definitely beat it up and not feel bad. And it seems like the general perception is that the new bd1n steel will give you a slight increase in hardness/edge retention while still being easy to sharpen. I have no idea if these are available anywhere yet, though.
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 pm
i have the xhp exclusive from knifecenter and i love it. that said i would personally steer clear of s110v because i prefer steels that are easy to sharpen. i know spyderco is slowly replacing bd1 with bd1n in the manix 2 lw. maybe you could call around and find one of those. otherwise, i don’t see any sprints or other production versions coming. i’d love one in lc200n though.
This.

Steels that are hard to sharpen for minimal payback in edge retention over other steels are not my favorites. I don’t care about bragging rights. I prefer practical.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:09 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 pm
This.

Steels that are hard to sharpen for minimal payback in edge retention over other steels are not my favorites. I don’t care about bragging rights. I prefer practical.
not to mention hardness leading to chipping. i know someone that “abused” his s110v manix lw and lost the tip. i’d rather have a knife that is more resilient.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Having said all that, I greatly prefer the Manix 2 over the PM 2. The lightweight is one of my most used knives. Go for it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I liked my manix 2 but it was bulky in the pocket. Want a lw model but will not buy a pinned knife ever. I am still surprised that they have not made it screw construction based on the amount of ppl who have asked for it let alone the ppl who wont buy it.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:24 am
I liked my manix 2 but it was bulky in the pocket. Want a lw model but will not buy a pinned knife ever. I am still surprised that they have not made it screw construction based on the amount of ppl who have asked for it let alone the ppl who wont buy it.
although the manix 2 is a little bulky in the pocket, i find that it's thin where it matters, which is at the opening of the pocket. the taper of the grip allows the manix to sit in the pocket perfectly without blocking access to the contents of the pocket. it is much more narrow than the pm2 at the pocket opening. it is really the perfect design in this aspect and i wish spyderco would incorporate that part of the design to other knives like the caribbean, which has a ridiculously large hook and odd clip placement from what i can tell.

as far as the pinned construction goes... nothing is perfect. the manix 2 lw is almost there, but the pins are frustrating. i had a spot develop on my manix under the scale. fortunately, i was able to get to it with a q-tip and some oil and the spot came right out. however, i have no idea if there is more corrosion around the pivot where i can't see anything. this knife should have screws instead of pins. as it is, there's no hope of taking it apart without completely ruining the knife.

that said, the manix is a bear of a knife to take apart anyway with the cbbl, so it's probably not best for people to take it apart. it can be done though and many people here would appreciate that freedom. also, it needs to be made in lc200n as a full salt version. i would own that knife in a heartbeat.
current collection:
spyderco steels: